Nexus Screen Quality Problem

Search This thread

NatTheCat

May 12, 2011
Manchester
Morning all, I received my nexus today and wow its fantastic. After getting setup and yada yada I noticed that when I go to take a picture in the dark or view a black image I get a strange black line about 1inch down from the top of the screen all the way across and 1inch Inc vertically inwards from the right side of the screen all the way down. I'm not too sure how to take a screen shot to show you guys/gals. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the pen tile or I've got a dodgy handset. Apart from that the phone is great.

Thanks Nathan

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: minhqp107

_hyperdude

Dec 19, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Morning all, I received my nexus today and wow its fantastic. After getting setup and yada yada I noticed that when I go to take a picture in the dark or view a black image I get a strange black line about 1inch down from the top of the screen all the way across and 1inch Inc vertically inwards from the right side of the screen all the way down. I'm not too sure how to take a screen shot to show you guys/gals. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the pen tile or I've got a dodgy handset. Apart from that the phone is great.

Thanks Nathan

To take a screenshot, hold down the Power button and the volume-down button at the same time.
If you take the screenshot and look at it on another phone/computer and the line isn't there, it's in the screen. Weird that it would only show up when taking a picture or looking at a black image...?

ILLHYHL

Oct 16, 2011
Philadelphia
same problem that tmo galaxy s2 had i guess?

i returned my tmo gs2 because of the vertical line problem.

GN has the same problem?

god damit

BiGMERF

Apr 19, 2010
Orlando
How are pages rendering in the browser with no flash?? By the way does that lin year u speak of appear while on the internet?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

NatTheCat

May 12, 2011
Manchester
I have taken a screenshot of a pure black image off a screen test app. I also took a picture covering the camera and both are identical. I will attach the images below. Please note you need superman vision to be able to see it. Best viewed in a dark room or squint.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1321728708388.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1321728708388.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 2,542
  • uploadfromtaptalk1321728719554.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1321728719554.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 2,049

spamlucal

Apr 2, 2008
a screenshot won't show any screen defect, you have to take a picture of the screen with another camera

Spinstorm

Jul 17, 2008
I have the same problem and started a thread about it. I'd wait a week and then return it for an exchange when there is more stock.

allpalm

Nov 19, 2011
Does it do this with every picture? I have seen crap digital cameras do that when bright light relects off of the sun.

NatTheCat

May 12, 2011
Manchester
I have tried to take a picture of the black screen with my gs2 but it won't pick it up at all. Its worse than I thought after i examined it. Its like scattered dots across the majority of the screen. Also when the brightness is set lower the screen goes purple. No true blacks

Edit: Im comparing the xda app from my gs2 and the whites are more cream. I Must have a bad handset as there is no way this is normal.

Last edited:

NatTheCat

May 12, 2011
Manchester
News flash: The sun actually makes its own light!

Gravis: You are the sun and moon to me.

I don't know what to say to the sun comment as I live in England ;-)

Its only on a black image I could live with it but after a lot of trouble with my GS2 I'm not letting Samsung win the battle this time. Back to P4U I go.

Can somebody please do me a huge favour and check their nexus for the same fault. I'm pretty sure its not software issue but saves a trip if it is.

Cheers

Last edited:

crazy talk

Jun 17, 2009
The galaxy note has the same problem. I'm on my phone so just search in the note general. Should find it quickly.

sunnyshiraz

Nov 27, 2011
I have a similar issue

This could be just me, or everyone. Depends on how reliable Samsung has been able to manufacture their handsets.

I took pictures of my Galaxy Nexus in a dark room with my Nikon DSLR.

These are the results.

Code:
https://picasaweb.google.com/sunnyshirazian/SamsungGalaxyNexusScreenFaults?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKPu5sT0x_DUNA&feat=directlink
(I can't link as I'm not up to 8 posts yet)

I think I'll have to send mine back :(

pukemon

Jul 16, 2010
Richmond, TX
This could be just me, or everyone. Depends on how reliable Samsung has been able to manufacture their handsets.

These are the results.

Code:
https://picasaweb.google.com/sunnyshirazian/SamsungGalaxyNexusScreenFaults?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKPu5sT0x_DUNA&feat=directlink

Yours definitely doesnt look right. Thats kinda splotchy.

Sent from my samsung gt i9250 which is in the wrong country.

WhiterThanWhite

Nov 6, 2011

These are the results.

Code:

Get a refund.

Ichigga

Nov 27, 2011
i've had my nexus for just under a week and i've noticed the black lines as well. if i lower the brightness of the screen the black lines are more visiable and especially against lighter backgrounds. i've only found one article on the web that has highlighted this problem too, but would be interested to see if anyone else is having the same problem :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok but when you see this?
    Lowest brightness on full black color?

You have to be in a very dark room and have your eyes adjusted to the darkness. Then the phone needs to be in lowest brightness setting and screen has to be completely black (you should cover the on-screen buttons with a hand). Any sort of light will easily make your eyes adjust too much and you'd not notice.

And then you should see very faint black spots on the screen. It is nowhere near as visible as the photo shown by other posters here because the photo has been edited or taken with a camera that adjusts the brightness.

It is not an issue and there's no 'fix'. AMOLED screens use organic light emitting diodes and have a feature of being 'off' when color is black and fully on when color is white. Now, all of those diodes are not 'equal', this is why you can also spot things like slight noise when looking at gray or white backgrounds with lower brightness settings.

This also means that some of those diodes act strangely, because they are not 'equal'. This causes that noise, those lines as well as those spots.

When it comes to those spots, they won't 'change' much over time, if at all. All of my AMOLED screens have had it one way or another.

This is also related somewhat to how AMOLED diodes change over time when it comes to brightness. They have more 'memory' and each diode never represents 100% accurate color (but all together they get very close). These diodes don't get dead pixels, but they can get pixels that get out of line and start showing brighter or darker colors after a while than they should. This is why after few years you may notice on solid backgrounds that some areas look similar to LCD burn-in's (notably the clock widgets, top notification bar and so on).

You can also notice this when you switch to solid background in certain colors, your previous image may still be fainly visible for a short time (especially the notification bar).

But all of those anomalies with AMOLED screens are limitations of the tech today. It is a trade off to get better blacks and contrast on the device. In the future these anomalies will vanish, but for now we have to live with it.

In short, your screen is just fine, the black spots, noisyness, lines in low light and so on are not a sign of a faulty screen. It is a sign of AMOLED screen that is just quirky due to being a little organic.

Thanks Nathan

No screen issues here!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk