[APP][4.0+] PushBullet

Search This thread

guzba

Dec 8, 2011
San Francisco
www.pushbullet.com
PushBullet makes it easy to send things (files, notes, lists, links, ++) from your computer to your Android phones and tablets, and now from one Android device to another. It's all about making what you've sent easy to access by using all of the new notification features available in JellyBean, though it still works great for Gingerbread+.

Sending something to your phone or tablet with PushBullet is easy. You can go to pushbullet.com or install the Chrome extension. Just sign in with your Google account in the app and on the web and you're good to go.

You can also share your devices with other people, so they can push to your Android devices, too. This makes it easy to push a grocery list to your spouse or receive beta APKs from a dev friend.

I haven't posted enough to include links :/ sorry.

---

PushBullet has been very well received on the Android subreddit but until now I hadn't reached out to xda for feedback. I'm confident a lot of you would find PushBullet useful so I'd really like to hear how I can make it better for you.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 8,334
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 7,285
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 7,033
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 6,137
Last edited:

guzba

Dec 8, 2011
San Francisco
www.pushbullet.com
An update on Pushbullet

It's been 6 months since I posted the above and we've done a lot in that time to make Pushbullet even better so I figured I should bump with an update:

Pushbullet can now show all of your phones' notifications on your computer at the same time. This is amazingly cool and changed the way I think about my phone. All you need to do is have either our Chrome or Firefox extension installed and turn on "Notification Mirroring" in our app. Here's a video demoing the feature: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Fn6na1hVhFo

Pushbullet now has a full-featured Firefox extension (we used to just have a Chrome extension). This is great since we're no longer quite so presumptive about forcing you to use a certain browser to take advantage of Pushbullet.

You can now send anything Pushbullet can push right to friends/family. They'll get notified on all of their devices so they see it wherever they are, then we automatically dismiss it on their other devices after they interact with it on one. It's how quick-sharing should work and we're going to make it a lot better this next year.

Oh and of course Pushbullet can push from your phone to your computer now (we used to just do computer to phone). This makes Pushbullet the easiest way to get pictures/files/etc from your phone and onto your computer.

---

I've attached some screenshots of the updated app. If you're still scratching your head wondering how this adds up, here's a video that does a better job than words do: https://youtube.com/watch?v=jFLEM46Vltk

It'd be amazing to get some feedback from you all--we've got big plans for 2014 and it'd be great to know what you really want to see next :)

Ah yes, one last thing, Pushbullet is 4.0+ now.

---

Here's some links: (Well sort of, I can't post links yet)

Android app: (link in footer of our website)

Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pushbullet/chlffgpmiacpedhhbkiomidkjlcfhogd

Firefox extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pushbullet/

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 4,343
  • 2.png
    2.png
    159.1 KB · Views: 3,937
  • 5.png
    5.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 3,812
  • 6.png
    6.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 3,600
  • client.apk
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,637
Last edited by a moderator:

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
Thanks, it's a really neat app! The API is really simple to use from anywhere (I use it to get notified when my computer is done compiling something, when downloads are completed, quickly install an APK, etc.) Device -> PC pushes are also useful for quick notes or as a reminder to check a link later.

Can you possibly include an APK in the OP? That'd be great as some people don't have access to the Play Store.

BTW, I'd love to be able to get a list (or similar) of pushes for my devices via the API. I could, for example, use that to show the latest pushes in my PC's status bar, or fetch them then show them as notification in XBMC. Thanks. :)

Reactions: TheEdgeOfRage

guzba

Dec 8, 2011
San Francisco
www.pushbullet.com
Ah certainly, I've added the APK to the post.

I'm glad you like the app and are even using our API! We're going to be adding more functionality to the API soon. My goal is to make it possible for anyone to do just about anything we can do ourselves all via the same API. I think of it kind of like how the Google apps are built on the same Android APIs I get.

kaibosh99

Mar 11, 2013
This is a great little app for sending little snippets of txt or links from any of your devices to any other, including your pc. I have zero interest in allowing it to have control over all notifications though, and attempting such things raises all the malware alarms that android has. I would suggest focusing on a clean and robust little push app with the matching pc chrome extension because there is a lack of such a thing out there otherwise.

Reactions: guzba

guzba

Dec 8, 2011
San Francisco
www.pushbullet.com
Thanks for the feedback :)

One thing I think you'll appreciate is that the desktop notifications are completely optional and Android has a dedicated enable/disable option for it (it's not an install-level permission). This means if you don't turn it on, we don't see any of your notifications.

rekenaar00

Dec 14, 2012
Hi :)

I also love this program. Been using it for months on my S3, tablet and Chrome. Definitely one of my favorites.

Comments/questions:
  1. I got excited when I saw the thread title that it is compatible with 2.3+. Only to realize that it was the old version when I saw the new post that it is now only a 4+ app. I suggest updating the thread title to indicate 4+. The problem is that my wife is using 2.3.6. It would be great if it worked on GB too. Even with limited functionality.
  2. Is there a way to differentiate between multiple Chrome PC's? Would be nice to be able to push to "Chrome Desktop" or "Chrome Laptop" for example.

guzba

Dec 8, 2011
San Francisco
www.pushbullet.com
Ah thanks for pointing that out about the title, I've updated it to reflect only 4.0+ now.

Dropping Gingerbread/Honeycomb was something I thought a lot about. It became a choice between working to offer some functionality for a few users vs adding features faster for the majority and I made the call. I know it doesn't make everyone happy though :)

As far as differentiating between PCs, we have a project in the works that will help hugely with that. We're building a native Windows application that will enable you to do really cool stuff like right clicking to push files, send things between computers, etc. It's nowhere near done yet but in the next couple of months we'll have a beta out I'm sure. Should be really awesome :good:

Last edited:

rekenaar00

Dec 14, 2012
As far as differentiating between PCs, we have a project in the works that will help hugely with that. We're building a native Windows application that will enable you to do really cool stuff like right clicking to push files, send things between computers, etc. It's nowhere near done yet but in the next couple of months we'll have a beta out I'm sure. Should be really awesome :good:

thanks, I will wait for that. If/when you need alpha testers for that, keep me in mind ;)

sacredsoul

Feb 17, 2007
Singapore
This is an excellent app. Been using it a while to push links and apks to my phone. Surprised this isn't more well known.

EDIT : One feature I'd like to see implemented, if it's even possible, is a way to interact with notifications on the PC. For example, replying to whatsapp messages from the PC itself without having to pick up the phone. I don't know how feasible it is but I'd pay for PushBullet if it's possible to implement it. :)

Last edited:

guruehsaan

Jan 5, 2013
London
really nice app, i like the way it integrates in within chrome, integrates beautifully, this replaced the belt app(belt.io) for me, this is wayy more functional.

dragonnn

Oct 16, 2011
Thanks, it's a really neat app! The API is really simple to use from anywhere (I use it to get notified when my computer is done compiling something, when downloads are completed, quickly install an APK, etc.) Device -> PC pushes are also useful for quick notes or as a reminder to check a link later.

Can you possibly include an APK in the OP? That'd be great as some people don't have access to the Play Store.

BTW, I'd love to be able to get a list (or similar) of pushes for my devices via the API. I could, for example, use that to show the latest pushes in my PC's status bar, or fetch them then show them as notification in XBMC. Thanks. :)
Could you share how did you that with the compiling info? Did you use a simple bash script? Where can I learn to use the api for my own solutions?

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
Could you share how did you that with the compiling info? Did you use a simple bash script? Where can I learn to use the api for my own solutions?

It's very simple. Put this in ~/bin and chmod +x and edit the values of "api_key" and "device_id" (line 2 and 3) to reflect your own key/ID:
Code:
# Your API key must end with a ':'
api_key="your_api_key"
device_id="your_device_id"
curl https://api.pushbullet.com/api/pushes \
    -u "$api_key" \
    -d device_id="$device_id" \
    -d type=note \
    -d title="$1" \
    -d body="$2" \
    -X POST \
    -s -S > /dev/null
Let's pretend we named the script 'pushbullet.' You can now simply call it like this:
Code:
pushbullet "My notification's title" "My notification's description"

Of course, you can also send something that's not a note, or make a script that allows you to choose what type of push to use:
Code:
api_key="your_api_key"

case "$1" in
    note)
        arg1="title"
        arg2="body"
        ;;
    link)
        arg1="title"
        arg2="url"
        ;;
    address)
        arg1="name"
        arg2="address"
        ;;
    list)
        arg1="title"
        arg2="items"
        ;;
    file)
        curl -i https://api.pushbullet.com/api/pushes \
            -u "$api_key" \
            -F device_id="$device_id" \
            -F type=file \
            -F file=@"$2" \
            -s -S > /dev/null
        exit
        ;;
    *)
        echo "Unknown option."
        exit
        ;;
esac

-u "$api_key" \
    -d type="$1" \
    -d "$arg1"="$2" \
    -d "$arg2"="$3" \
    -X POST \
    -s -S > /dev/null
And to use it (not sure what the exact syntax for a list push's items data fields are, maybe @guzba can give us an actual example for that:)
Code:
# syntax: pushbullet <type> <title> <content>
pushbullet note "Note's title" "Note's description"
pushbullet link "XDA Portal" 'http://xda-developers.com'
pushbullet address "Googleplex" "1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy, Mountain View, CA"
# for files, the syntax is: pushbullet file <file>
pushbullet file myfile.txt

EDIT: Forgot to answer your question - you can just call the script after the build command, for example (if you're using the first script:)
Code:
make bacon && pushbullet "Build Completed" "Yay" || pushbullet "Build Failed" "Oops"

Note that the scripts I've pasted above won't output anything unless an error occurs. They're silent otherwise. See https://www.pushbullet.com/api for the full API/more info on how to get your device's ID/API key.

Last edited:

Wolfglance

Dec 30, 2011
Friends' Emails Addresses List

Hi all,
Thanks for this awesome App ! ...
I have a question though regarding the friends' emails addresses list,
When I tap to add an email/friend I see a list of emails addresses that doesn't even exist anymore (old friends' emails addresses...),

Is there a way to delete emails addresses from this list ?

(I already tried to look for the emails addresses in my Gmail contacts and deleted them... cleared cache, uninstall the app and re installed it...
Nothing worked.)

Thanks,

***SOLVED*** After deleting contacts in Gmail and syncing account on phone.

Last edited:

soonercpa

Jun 11, 2010
Started using this a couple of weeks ago to replace chrome to phone and phone to chrome apps. Works very well. Not sure if this is something that could be done with this app, but would be cool if you could compose/respond to texts via the browser extension. I know there are other apps/extensions that can do this, but would prefer to limit the chrome extensions I have active.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PushBullet makes it easy to send things (files, notes, lists, links, ++) from your computer to your Android phones and tablets, and now from one Android device to another. It's all about making what you've sent easy to access by using all of the new notification features available in JellyBean, though it still works great for Gingerbread+.

Sending something to your phone or tablet with PushBullet is easy. You can go to pushbullet.com or install the Chrome extension. Just sign in with your Google account in the app and on the web and you're good to go.

You can also share your devices with other people, so they can push to your Android devices, too. This makes it easy to push a grocery list to your spouse or receive beta APKs from a dev friend.

I haven't posted enough to include links :/ sorry.

---

PushBullet has been very well received on the Android subreddit but until now I hadn't reached out to xda for feedback. I'm confident a lot of you would find PushBullet useful so I'd really like to hear how I can make it better for you.
    An update on Pushbullet

It's been 6 months since I posted the above and we've done a lot in that time to make Pushbullet even better so I figured I should bump with an update:

Pushbullet can now show all of your phones' notifications on your computer at the same time. This is amazingly cool and changed the way I think about my phone. All you need to do is have either our Chrome or Firefox extension installed and turn on "Notification Mirroring" in our app. Here's a video demoing the feature: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Fn6na1hVhFo

Pushbullet now has a full-featured Firefox extension (we used to just have a Chrome extension). This is great since we're no longer quite so presumptive about forcing you to use a certain browser to take advantage of Pushbullet.

You can now send anything Pushbullet can push right to friends/family. They'll get notified on all of their devices so they see it wherever they are, then we automatically dismiss it on their other devices after they interact with it on one. It's how quick-sharing should work and we're going to make it a lot better this next year.

Oh and of course Pushbullet can push from your phone to your computer now (we used to just do computer to phone). This makes Pushbullet the easiest way to get pictures/files/etc from your phone and onto your computer.

---

I've attached some screenshots of the updated app. If you're still scratching your head wondering how this adds up, here's a video that does a better job than words do: https://youtube.com/watch?v=jFLEM46Vltk

It'd be amazing to get some feedback from you all--we've got big plans for 2014 and it'd be great to know what you really want to see next :)

Ah yes, one last thing, Pushbullet is 4.0+ now.

---

Here's some links: (Well sort of, I can't post links yet)

Android app: (link in footer of our website)

Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pushbullet/chlffgpmiacpedhhbkiomidkjlcfhogd

Firefox extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pushbullet/
    40$ per YEAR?

COME ON!
    I'd pay 10, 15, EVEN 20$ for your full app. BUT ONCE.
    NOT 40 DAMN DOLLARS EVERY DAMN YEAR. Are you guys crazy?
    I'm uninstalling right now. Bye!

Hi everyone,

I am wondering why there is no alternative to push bullet when it comes to answering whatsapp messages on PC.

There is Whatsapp Web.
    Ah certainly, I've added the APK to the post.

I'm glad you like the app and are even using our API! We're going to be adding more functionality to the API soon. My goal is to make it possible for anyone to do just about anything we can do ourselves all via the same API. I think of it kind of like how the Google apps are built on the same Android APIs I get.

It's very simple. Put this in ~/bin and chmod +x and edit the values of "api_key" and "device_id" (line 2 and 3) to reflect your own key/ID:
    Code:
    # Your API key must end with a ':'
    api_key="your_api_key"
        -u "$api_key" \
        -d type=note \
        -d title="$1" \
        -d body="$2" \
        -X POST \
        -s -S > /dev/null
    Let's pretend we named the script 'pushbullet.' You can now simply call it like this:
    Code:
    pushbullet "My notification's title" "My notification's description"

Of course, you can also send something that's not a note, or make a script that allows you to choose what type of push to use:
    Code:
    api_key="your_api_key"

case "$1" in
        note)
            arg1="title"
            arg2="body"
            ;;
        link)
            arg1="title"
            arg2="url"
            ;;
        address)
            arg1="name"
            arg2="address"
            ;;
        list)
            arg1="title"
            arg2="items"
            ;;
        file)
            curl -i https://api.pushbullet.com/api/pushes \
                -u "$api_key" \
                -F device_id="$device_id" \
                -F type=file \
                -F file=@"$2" \
                -s -S > /dev/null
            exit
            ;;
        *)
            echo "Unknown option."
            exit
            ;;
    esac

-u "$api_key" \
        -d type="$1" \
        -d "$arg1"="$2" \
        -d "$arg2"="$3" \
        -X POST \
        -s -S > /dev/null
    And to use it (not sure what the exact syntax for a list push's items data fields are, maybe @guzba can give us an actual example for that:)
    Code:
    # syntax: pushbullet <type> <title> <content>
    pushbullet note "Note's title" "Note's description"
    pushbullet link "XDA Portal" 'http://xda-developers.com'
    pushbullet address "Googleplex" "1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy, Mountain View, CA"
    # for files, the syntax is: pushbullet file <file>
    pushbullet file myfile.txt

EDIT: Forgot to answer your question - you can just call the script after the build command, for example (if you're using the first script:)
    Code:
    make bacon && pushbullet "Build Completed" "Yay" || pushbullet "Build Failed" "Oops"

Note that the scripts I've pasted above won't output anything unless an error occurs. They're silent otherwise. See https://www.pushbullet.com/api for the full API/more info on how to get your device's ID/API key.