[Q] P5113 can't write to internal storage

Search This thread

michaelgwilson007

May 14, 2014
I have a P5113 that's been running the CM 11 nightlies just fine until a few days ago. For some unknown reason, the internal storage is stuck in read only mode which is causing applications to fail and the tablet to reboot every few minutes. I've tried using CWM recovery to do a factory reset as well as wipe cache and reformat all partitions with no effect. Have also tried to install the latest CM 11 but after reboot the older version of the image is still installed. I also cannot write or delete any files from the file system as they reappear after a reboot. I've tried to use Odin to install a factory ROM but it keeps failing and I've tried to write a PIT file to fix the partition which has also had no affect. I've tried using adb to set read/write permissions but after a reboot, the permission revert back to read only.

I would like to know if there is anything else that can be done to repartition the internal storage and reload a factory ROM so that I can start over.

Thanks

....Mike

BoneWithABeagle

Sep 28, 2013
For some unknown reason, the internal storage is stuck in read only mode

As you seem to know your way around: Could you try and fetch a logcat as well as the kernel dmesg output upon boot and post it for review (pastebin or similar)? If it even fails with re-flashing a Stock ROM maybe the logs give a hint about what's going on (maybe the NAND chip became corrupted leaving fsck without a possibility to fix the filesystem?).

michaelgwilson007

May 14, 2014
As you seem to know your way around: Could you try and fetch a logcat as well as the kernel dmesg output upon boot and post it for review (pastebin or similar)? If it even fails with re-flashing a Stock ROM maybe the logs give a hint about what's going on (maybe the NAND chip became corrupted leaving fsck without a possibility to fix the filesystem?).

Thanks for the reply. I've been doing a lot of reading to work my way around. I have never reviewed the logs or know where they are but I'll see if I can figure it out. Any info on how to extract this info would be greatly appreciated.

....M

BoneWithABeagle

Sep 28, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I've been doing a lot of reading to work my way around. I have never reviewed the logs or know where they are but I'll see if I can figure it out. Any info on how to extract this info would be greatly appreciated.

....M

You already used "adb", so access to Settings -> Developer Options must already be enabled and "USB debugging" turned on.

Now, simply connect the tablet to the PC and open a Command Promt (or Terminal if you're on Linux). Issue a restart on the Tablet (if turned on). Once the "Galaxy Tab 2.0" kernel logo shows up issue "adb logcat >> Downloads\logcat.txt" (Windows) or "adb logcat >> Download/logcat.txt" (Linux - you may need to add a "sudo" before adb if your udev rules aren't properly set).

adb will now display "connecting" and once Android has start "adbd", should happen rather early in the boot process, it will start logging into the text file. Once the ROM has fully booted up wait for a minute, so the system settles with starting up everything, before you press CTRL+C to interrupt adb logging.

Next would be "adb shell dmesg >> Downloads\dmesg.txt" (Windows) or "adb shell dmesg >> Downloads/dmesg.txt" (Linux). That dumps the kernel output into a text file. IF you get a error here it may relate to...: 1. Your ROM is not rooted. / 2. "adb+apps" is not set in the Developer options / 3. You are running a Sammy Stock ROM where adbd has no root powers.

If you're on a Stock ROM ... Install Chainfire's adbd Insecure (you need root!), run the app, apply the patch and reboot. Now adbd behaves like in CM or OMNI (root priviledges).

You can review the text files for yourself. If you see any obvious errors that should give you a hint about what's going on. If not, then put them up for review. Though... be warned: The files contains some private data (like the MAC address of the tablet as well as some information from your WiFi). If you don't want it to be displayed to the greater public send me a PM.

Reactions: CSP III

michaelgwilson007

May 14, 2014
You already used "adb", so access to Settings -> Developer Options must already be enabled and "USB debugging" turned on.

Now, simply connect the tablet to the PC and open a Command Promt (or Terminal if you're on Linux). Issue a restart on the Tablet (if turned on). Once the "Galaxy Tab 2.0" kernel logo shows up issue "adb logcat >> Downloads\logcat.txt" (Windows) or "adb logcat >> Download/logcat.txt" (Linux - you may need to add a "sudo" before adb if your udev rules aren't properly set).

adb will now display "connecting" and once Android has start "adbd", should happen rather early in the boot process, it will start logging into the text file. Once the ROM has fully booted up wait for a minute, so the system settles with starting up everything, before you press CTRL+C to interrupt adb logging.

Next would be "adb shell dmesg >> Downloads\dmesg.txt" (Windows) or "adb shell dmesg >> Downloads/dmesg.txt" (Linux). That dumps the kernel output into a text file. IF you get a error here it may relate to...: 1. Your ROM is not rooted. / 2. "adb+apps" is not set in the Developer options / 3. You are running a Sammy Stock ROM where adbd has no root powers.

If you're on a Stock ROM ... Install Chainfire's adbd Insecure (you need root!), run the app, apply the patch and reboot. Now adbd behaves like in CM or OMNI (root priviledges).

You can review the text files for yourself. If you see any obvious errors that should give you a hint about what's going on. If not, then put them up for review. Though... be warned: The files contains some private data (like the MAC address of the tablet as well as some information from your WiFi). If you don't want it to be displayed to the greater public send me a PM.

Thanks for the guidance. I'll work on getting the log files when I get home. I'm currently on CM11 with root so hopefully I'll be able to dump the kernel without too much trouble.

Once I get the files, I'll send you a PM.

.......M

BoneWithABeagle

Sep 28, 2013
Just to wrap the thread up so it won't hang around without some conclusion as we had a private exchange...

The logs showed that there's a major problem, along with some smaller ones, going on. The kernel is spamming a "command error" message, in a infinite loop at some high repetition rate, in relation to mmcblk0 to the kernel console, and logcat shows re-occurring problems with "MtpServer" which eventually crashes the "VM" (Dalvik).

Since michaelgwilson007 already attempted the "last resort" solution to flash back to Stock with a PIT for his type of SGT2 (as he said his "sdcard0" partition wasn't even there) to restore NAND partitioning and Stock firmware... the PIT goes through but he then gets a NAND write error while attempting to flash the stock firmware. Relating what the logs have to tell to what's going on the device we seem to agree that the likelyhood of the NAND chip being defective (dead flash memory cells) is very high.

Case isn't really solved, but at least we worked out a 99% probability of a hardware malfunction.

If some of the kernel dev, knowing a bit more about the low-level layer, happens to have an idea - feel free to maybe add some idea.

shakatu

May 31, 2012
I sent @michaelgwilson007 a PM. You could try running an ADB command from recovery to reformat the internal storage partition. Just make sure to wait until it finishes. The instructions are in the PM.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

michaelgwilson007

May 14, 2014
I sent @michaelgwilson007 a PM. You could try running an ADB command from recovery to reformat the internal storage partition. Just make sure to wait until it finishes. The instructions are in the PM.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

Thanks for your assistance. It turns out that I had a corrupt NAND chip based on a few other tests. I replaced the motherboard and I'm good to go again.

prince147

Sep 25, 2011
Chennai
I'm having the exact same problem, but it's not stuck, and I can certainly open apps, or run the system, can't seem to delete or rewrite or even write anything. From a brief search I came to this thread, any solution other than giving it to Samsung service for repair?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

....M