[Discussion] GPS Problems, Lock speed, Accuracy, Fixes - The Poll

Your GPS oppinion

• I use GPS a lot and it works great.

Votes: 238 13.5%
  • I use GPS a lot and sometimes it's Ok, other times unusable.

Votes: 405 22.9%
  • I use GPS a lot and it's really bad.

Votes: 427 24.2%
  • I don't use GPS a lot, when I try - it's OK.

Votes: 230 13.0%
  • I don't use GPS a lot, when I try - it's really bad.

Votes: 303 17.2%
  • Other/See Results.

Votes: 163 9.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Nicolopolus

Dec 24, 2009
Few people are complaining now about the low quality of gps. Can you prove this?

Hmm, I did try and track myself on the bus this morning and it did seem to have a problem finding me - it kept flipping between near where I was and about halfway back home. Used it walking down the street and again it didn't seem to be very good at nailing where I was (HD2 seemed much better). I've enabled location via cell location as well as GPS, so I'll see if that makes much difference.

NickeMan

Jun 14, 2010
This doesn't sound too promising :/

I've been using my iPhone 3G to track my runs when I head out, and I assumed the Galaxy would do just as good (or better!) at it. Hopefully it's something they can fix with a software patch and not a hardware problem...

Evans_Prophet

Feb 6, 2006
Hmm, I did try and track myself on the bus this morning and it did seem to have a problem finding me - it kept flipping between near where I was and about halfway back home. Used it walking down the street and again it didn't seem to be very good at nailing where I was (HD2 seemed much better). I've enabled location via cell location as well as GPS, so I'll see if that makes much difference.

Did you get it from Expansys? I am trying to find out whether it is just a batch or it is a more generic issue.

paul_73_uk

Jun 21, 2010
I too am seeing poor performance with the GPS. Seems to be a hardware issue.

I did a test over the weekend comparing my Galaxy S with a friend's HTC Desire. Using one of the many GPS utilities the Desire was consistently seeing and locking more satellites when stood in an open area outside. When running Google maps and showing the current location I found that the "accuracy circle" (for want of a better description) was growing and shrinking several times a minute causing the map to zoom in and out.

I've also noticed that the compass is almost unusable and showing a much lower signal compared to the Desire. I did perform the figure of 8 calibration several times.

dlci

May 14, 2009
Think I've read somewhere that samsung galaxy (the first one + the spica) have a broken gps driver causing such issues...don't remember if it was in sportypal forums or for a similar application. Very sorry to hear it's not fixed.

Adriaaaaan

Feb 24, 2009
Nope I tried out google navigation at the weekend and was really impressed by the accuracy, it made my old tom tom look really bad.

Tyxerakias

Jun 19, 2010
London, UK
This is very worrying, GPS is important for me, I don't want to have another N97 on my hands... fingers crossed it's a software issue.... :(

TravUK

Aug 20, 2008
UK
I'll have another play on the way home and let you know if there's any improvements.

I've not noticed any problems in Google Navigation. It found me almost instantly, and was so accurate in terms of showing me where I was while driving that there was almost no perceivable lag.

Whatever people are seeing it very unlikely to be a hardware issue, most phones use GPS chips from only 1 or 2 suppliers, its much more likely something temporary like a driver issue.

Nicolopolus

Dec 24, 2009
I've not noticed any problems in Google Navigation. It found me almost instantly, and was so accurate in terms of showing me where I was while driving that there was almost no perceivable lag.

Whatever people are seeing it very unlikely to be a hardware issue, most phones use GPS chips from only 1 or 2 suppliers, its much more likely something temporary like a driver issue.

TravUK, have you tried google maps - did you have any problems with it? (although I assume navigation would be using the same data to find you)

Nicolopolus

Dec 24, 2009
Well the journey home was much better! Probably helped that I was sitting by the window on the top deck of the bus, but I managed to get a much better fix, using both google maps and navigation. It wasn't like 100% accurate or anything, but certainly no worse than my hd2. Hardly got the large blue circle, but it did think I was in a field a few times, but that's to be expected. To note, didn't seem to make much difference whether I had both gps and cell data selected, or just gps.

d0p3d

Aug 3, 2009
My gps works perfect. Google maps finds it instantly and waze and speedometer apps work fine too. Localization is spot on. The gps even connects when I'm inside the house wich my Diamond never did.

lajson

Sep 30, 2006
Sweden
I tested Navigon, which can be download from Market for a tryal period of 30 days now, and it working great on my Samsung i9000

izmenar

Jun 3, 2010
Bucharest
it may be a firmware issue , everyone who is having problems should post the sw. version for comparision with others

NickeMan

Jun 14, 2010
Comparison of Galaxy GPS and iPhone 3G gps.

Hey everyone,

There's been some discussion regarding the "quality" of the GPS function in the Galaxy S, and after testing it out today, I sure hope it's a software bug or I'm going to be very disappointed.

This is my run as recorded by my iPhone 3G (with Fitnio): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/810054/samsung_fail/Picture%203.png

Now this is the same run as recorded by my Galaxy S (with RunKeeper): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/810054/samsung_fail/Picture%202.png

Take a wild guess which one actually reflects reality. Can anyone shed light on if the new "leaked" firmware fixes these problems?

TravUK

Aug 20, 2008
UK
They're all based on standard chipsets so its unlikely there's anything wrong with the GPS receiver itself. I hope it gets updated soon as it seems to be affecting a fair number of people.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Which modem are you using with Darky's rom ?

JL2

10 chars...
    [video] Bluetooth GPS and SGS GPS compared

Yeah but who cares if signal is low indoors? Maybe it's always high outdoor? And maybe that with a good signal the SGS behave better than the Bluetooth GPS who knows?

Tests should be made under normal usage scenarios. And I see two main ones:

-Mounted in the windshield of a car
    -in a pocket while running/cycling/trekking/kayaking/skiing/parachuting/etc.
    I've had plenty of GPS problems so I trust you. However, I think you should record tracks while in your car if you want to proove someone that your GPS is wrong.
    OK, I've made a video: the SGS is mounted in my car (real condition - normal usage scenario) ;)

At the beginning I'm parked and then I drive in town.
    As I'm in town, there are some buildings and the car has an athermal windscreen so the satellite signal reception is not very good. However the GPS is still usable (you can see that sometime the accuracy of the bluetooth GPS drops briefly...).
    In this test the red mark is the current position reported by an old bluetooth SIRF III GPS and the green mark corresponds to the signal of my Galaxy S (I9000) internal GPS.
    The blue circles represent the accuracy reported for each GPS. The mark size is approximately 5 to 10 meters and the map is centred on the bluetooth GPS.
    As I was in the car I can say that the bluetooth GPS position was quite accurate...
    Sorry, I didnt pay attention before, but now I see your "video" is very interesting!
    Which softwares are you using in order to:

Use both ( a internal and a external) gps receivers at the SAME TIME and allowing MOCK location??
    For the bluetooth GPS, I'm using BlueGPS4Droid which works pretty well with my BT-338. I have configured it to redirect the bluetooth GPS on its own GPS provider. So the internal GPS and the bluetooth GPS are both available at the same time :cool:
    Which software you use to capture video on screen?
    I'm using ShootMe (Screen Grabber) developed by Johan Cloetens.
    Did you ever run a offboard gps program like iGo or Navigon, which are much more reliable than Google navigation?
    How can I compare both GPS, if I use a app that tempers the GPS data ?
    No misunderstanding, that's fine... but not for this particular purpose.
    On the other hand, I prefer also to use open data (OpenStreetMap) and open source software when I can...
    Just back from a long car trip to Germany and my sgs ran iGo MyWay (8.4), flawlessly not only on the highway but also inside the busy city of Hamburg, without any assist of an external bluetooth or a-gps ..

Anyway I am interesting on that software (video screen capture)..
    My video cam is on a strike
    Since Samsung's last official Froyo update, the GPS of my SGS (July version) doesn't last more than 5 minutes after the first fix. So it's barely usable even with a very good navigation app (another of the many problems I have with my SGS GPS...).
    Except that (and the lack of notification led) it's a great phone.