[Q] TF101 _STILL_ rebooting after downgrading to honeycomb!

Search This thread

Flashstock

Jan 24, 2011
Since Asus ICS update was a gigantic failure for me (Youtube HD videos broken, reboots, etc) I decided to 'downgrade' back to honeycomb. However that DID NOT fix the rebooting problem. And sometimes it doesn't even reboot, it hangs on the bootscreen and does nothing, and sometimes it bootloops or just doesn't wake up from sleep. Just to note I am using the Revolver ROM for honeycomb (fully updated) AND I did not have these problems with the rom before I tried ICS.

Has anyone had similar issues? If so how did you fix it?

Please, my transformer is becoming more and more useless :(

Flashstock

Jan 24, 2011
How did you downgrade to HC? Did you also downgrade the kernel and bootloader?

sent from my transformer

I rooted my device and used an app that installed CWM.. Kernel is downgraded when flashing revolver and I did install an overclocking kernel from revolver parts. Bootloader I don't know.

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
Perhaps you should try updating the bootloader? It's just a theory, but I doubt it will make you Tf any worse.

sent from my cyanogen(mod) vision

Dec 26, 2011
I've got the exact same issue after the downgrading to revolver rom HC. How do you update the bootloader?

Also, I noticed that no problems occur when the device is charging, kind of wierd

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

Last edited:

axepted

Sep 28, 2010
Hope someone can tell how to update the bootloader. I was going to do the same thing with an tf101 because of all the reboots but if it dont help I rather wait to see how's it going..

Flashstock

Jan 24, 2011
The issue is that something goes wrong when the tablet goes in to "deep sleep". This is the same thing that is happening in ICS.

Now, I've found a temporary 'fix' for this issue. The fix is that you don't allow it to go in to deep sleep.

There is a program called WakeLock (It's on google play, my account is not allowed to post links :/) that lets you do just that.. Open up WakeLock and check the PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK radio button and then tap the Aquire/Release Lock checkbox. Now you're set! The tablet should not reboot.

This has worked fine for me as a solution and my tablet has been running all day without problems. There IS a downside though, your tablet WILL consume more battery power since it doesn't go in to deep sleep.

As a countermeasure to that I used setcpu and a screen off profile that downclocks the CPU to around 200-300MHz and after a full day I'm at 50% battery life (13 hrs on battery), not amazing but acceptable (my usage consisted of having wifi on at all times and watching 3 episodes of community and light web browsing).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: tpjets62

axepted

Sep 28, 2010
The issue is that something goes wrong when the tablet goes in to "deep sleep". This is the same thing that is happening in ICS.

Now, I've found a temporary 'fix' for this issue. The fix is that you don't allow it to go in to deep sleep.

There is a program called WakeLock (It's on google play, my account is not allowed to post links :/) that lets you do just that.. Open up WakeLock and check the PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK radio button and then tap the Aquire/Release Lock checkbox. Now you're set! The tablet should not reboot.

This has worked fine for me as a solution and my tablet has been running all day without problems. There IS a downside though, your tablet WILL consume more battery power since it doesn't go in to deep sleep.

As a countermeasure to that I used setcpu and a screen off profile that downclocks the CPU to around 200-300MHz and after a full day I'm at 50% battery life (13 hrs on battery), not amazing but acceptable (my usage consisted of having wifi on at all times and watching 3 episodes of community and light web browsing).

Hope this helps!

The tf101 I want to downgrade don't have that deep sleep issue.. It reboots when it's in use, often repeatedly.. And often stuck on bootanimation (eee pad screen).. So maybe I should try anyway..

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
Hope someone can tell how to update the bootloader. I was going to do the same thing with an tf101 because of all the reboots but if it dont help I rather wait to see how's it going..
In the stock firmware on the ASUS site or in the OTA updates, there will be a blob file. The bootloader can be extracted from there with the blob tools (search in the dev section).

I'd make a flashable version, but I suspect that you have a WW TF.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Ok, now this is crazy.... I thought that I was going nuts when after a complete wipe (using SuperWipe script) and re-installation of Honeycomb from scratch, I too still had the reboots!!!

How can that be? The reboots were NOT there before I installed ICS!

Is it possible that Asus updated the firmware in a specific integerated device during the ICS update that is casuing these issues or something? I don't know how else to explain people having the same issues even after reverting back to Honeycomb!

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I do remember hearing that the bootloader was updated with ICS - would that normally get reverted back to the "old" bootloader when doing a full wipe with SuperWipe script and re-installing Revolver (Honeycomb verison) from scratch?

Hmm, maybe the best thing to try would be to try the old bootloader with new ICS? Maybe that will stop the random reboots with ICS too!

Thanks!

Last edited:

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
No, most roms don't touch the bootloader. The stock roms and the OTAs will flash it. Although I'm not sure how much it could do once the rom was booted. I've noticed a few bad flashes lately, but they are usually resovled by flashing again with a full charge, overnight, plugged into the wall, not the USB port. Give that a try first.

axepted

Sep 28, 2010
In the stock firmware on the ASUS site or in the OTA updates, there will be a blob file. The bootloader can be extracted from there with the blob tools (search in the dev section).

I'd make a flashable version, but I suspect that you have a WW TF.

The one I'm going to downgrade is a US version... So if that helps, make a flashable version :thumbup:

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
If there is anyway someone could package the old Honeycomb bootloader, i'd be willing to try it! I have been unable to find a way to get back to stock Honeycomb (in order to re-write the bootloader). I'm assuming that I'd need an NVFLASH version of stock honeycomb firmware to get there from here?

thanks for any help offered!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

wilowolf666

May 15, 2010
Two days ago I disabled the apps "Android keyboard" and "polaris" . Since I use Swype on the tablet and quick office, figured it couldn't hurt to try. Usually I'd been waking up to a frozen tablet or stuck on reboot screen. Two days now no freezes. Not sure if it has rebooted while asleep, but I use it every night for several hours, and since I did that I've had no problems. Maybe just lucky two days. Someone may want to investigate that further. Wifi is set to turn off when screen does. Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
If there is anyway someone could package the old Honeycomb bootloader, i'd be willing to try it! I have been unable to find a way to get back to stock Honeycomb (in order to re-write the bootloader). I'm assuming that I'd need an NVFLASH version of stock honeycomb firmware to get there from here?

thanks for any help offered!

What version tf do you have? US WW etc? Is your serial number nvflash compatible?

The other problem will be the system updates, but I think you can just delete dmclient?

sent from my transformer

neffarious

Apr 20, 2009
Longwood
i have a us transformer with the exact same problems. I went from Revolver HC to revolver ICS back to Revolver HC and the ICS reboot issue is persisting. I thought it was just me, glad to see (for my sanity's sake, not your torture) that it's not just me. I know on my old Captivate, if you used a GB bootloader with certain Froyo ROMs there was bad effects. It is possible it plays into it somehow. I never flashed an official ICS update, but since the customs are based off of ICS official it is possible something was changed. I have tried different Kernels, different Daemon settings etc, and the longest i could go was 2 days with no reboot. Mine does the same thing tho - sometimes it reboots. other times it just hangs on the ASUS screen until it kills the battery. It doesn't do it while plugged in. I have super wiped, re-flashed, restored old nandroid backs ups, you name it i have tried. Any help here is much appreciated as i have started using my kindle Fire as my primary tablet because i am becoming so frustrated with the TF. It has rebooted once while in use while playing a game. The rest is while off. Once li clicked the screen off to put it down to get a drink and it rebooted. Its quite maddening at this point,

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
I was eventually able to downgrade my bootloader to the version that came with 8.6.5.6 (its the version I had laying around). So, I am now running the 8.6.5.6 bootloader with Revolver ICS - we'll see what happens.

First night was encouraging - over 5 hours of deep sleep last night an no issues... I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

It just makes NO sense how the reboot problem is now present even on Honeycomb, where is wasn't as issue beofore!

I now wondering if ICS either updated some firmware on some device in the TF (wifi chip, bluetooth chip, etc) or that the bootloader might be the difference....

So I now have a Honeycomb bootloader (verify bootloader version by looking at text on sceen after holding vol down + power) and ICS OS. Time will tell....

Can anyone else explain how the reboot problem could cause the issues on honeycomb as well???

Thanks!

axepted

Sep 28, 2010
I was eventually able to downgrade my bootloader to the version that came with 8.6.5.6 (its the version I had laying around). So, I am now running the 8.6.5.6 bootloader with Revolver ICS - we'll see what happens.

First night was encouraging - over 5 hours of deep sleep last night an no issues... I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

It just makes NO sense how the reboot problem is now present even on Honeycomb, where is wasn't as issue beofore!

I now wondering if ICS either updated some firmware on some device in the TF (wifi chip, bluetooth chip, etc) or that the bootloader might be the difference....

So I now have a Honeycomb bootloader (verify bootloader version by looking at text on sceen after holding vol down + power) and ICS OS. Time will tell....

Can anyone else explain how the reboot problem could cause the issues on honeycomb as well???

Thanks!

Give us an update on this later :)

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
FYI - Still going strong with ICS (Revolver) running old Honeycomb bootloader (8.6.5.6).... I don't know, but I have a good feeling about this (of course, I've had that "good feeling" about 20 times now without any success)!

I'll keep you posted!

axepted

Sep 28, 2010
FYI - Still going strong with ICS (Revolver) running old Honeycomb bootloader (8.6.5.6).... I don't know, but I have a good feeling about this (of course, I've had that "good feeling" about 20 times now without any success)!

I'll keep you posted!

Nice! How long have you been running it now?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WooHoo!

First "milestone" (in my mind, anyway): over 24 hours uptime and over 12 hours deep-sleep time with ZERO issues since downgrading the bootloader and re-installing Revolver 4 (ICS)! I believe that this is the second longest uptime for me under ICS (only longer uptime was when I first tried removing the MicroSD card, but I did eventually get a reboot without the MicroSD card as well - others have fared better though).

I'll consider 36 hours uptime milstone #2, and 48 hours milestone #3.

72 hours = SUCCESS (again, in my mind as I've NEVER been able to get anywhere near 3 days uptime with ICS).

Anyone else willing to give it a shot? It's a PIA to be honest, but if it stops the reboots, it'll be well worth it!

Actually, I shouldn't say "ZERO" issues - there is one small side effect from the bootloader downgrade, for whatever reason - now, when I connect AC Power to the dock (with TF in the dock, opened and on), the tablet "freezes" for about 4 or 5 seconds before displaying the battery icon and continuing... A small price to pay for stability though!

Again, I know this is all a little preliminary, but like I said, it's the 2nd longest uptime I've ever had, and it kinda makes sense, since reverting to honeycomb has the same reboot issues after upgrading to ICS, so I'm staying positive! :)

Cross your fingers!

Hope this helps!
    Now at 33 hours uptime, 18 hours deep-sleep time. I'm secretly convinced that the bootloader downgrade did the trick! Will keep reporting back.

Anyone else try on old bootloader with ICS yet??

Think about it - it could also explain why some people see the problem and some people don't. If you EVER installed the STOCK ICS from Asus, then it installs the new bootloader. It you never installed stock ICS from Asus, then you probably never had the bootloader upgraded, since it's my understanding that custom ROMs usually don't touch the bootloader.

Also explains why the problem remains after reverting to Honeycomb (a CUSTOM honeycomb, in my case, which wouldn't have downgraded the bootloader if it was ever upgraded..

At least that all sounds good in theory! :)
    So perhaps we should cook up the ICS rom with a HC bootloader... the best of both worlds.

Keep us posted on the milestones- I have rooted ICS roms ready to go,just have to find the right bootloaders.
    Potential ICS reboot/SOD solutions! Testers needed!

Well folks, I've now passed milestone #3 and am pretty much convinced the bootloader downgrade has resolved the ICS reboot/SOD issues (at least that I was having)!

I'm currently at over 48 hours uptime with over 27 of those hours in deep-sleep mode. I've had no issues - I think I have my beloved Transformer back!!

I realize that 48 hours isn't a long time, but I've NEVER gotten 48 hours uptime with ICS with my usage patterns. I've only had over 24 hours once, so these results are very encouraging! Plus, it acutually makes sense and explains a lot of the reasons why some folks have the problem and some don't.

Had anyone else tested the older bootloader with ICS yet? I also did a full wipe before doing anything (via Vol- & Power button menu).

Again, I'm running bootloader 8.6.5.6 with Revolver 1.3 (I did NOT install the Revolver 1.31 patch and I think it's important that you don't since it apparently includes the new bootloader (so I've heard anyway - I haven't verified).

I'm really starting to get excited about this solution - I think we're on to something here!!!

Now we need to get a custom ROM built with the old bootloader and the original ICS release - I'd recommend that we don't install the latest ICS patch yet either - as I can't stand the screen coming on by itself every 10 minutes!

Thanks for listening!