is there a way to install hero APK's on cupcake build?

Search This thread

alexdancer2

Jun 17, 2009
hey i was wondering if there is a way to install hero Apk's on to the ion build. can i just do it the same as if it were any other apk or do i need to port it to fit the build? please any help would be appriciated. i really like the timer in hero and want it on my ion build i tryed using the Hero build and it is just to slow and my mms dosent work and only recieved some of my sms. (yes i changed the apn and every other option there was to fix this ) i need a fast build and thats why i am using ion. any help would be great

Thanks

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
iytu

iyne

njuncos

May 25, 2009
yes i understand that but this is a development question because most likely i will have to port the apk to the current build and that will involve coding and problem solving there for this is in the correct area thank you
Yeah, so start porting...can't wait til more ports from Hero are done. Keep us up to date on any progress

Lemonade727

Jan 25, 2009
yes i understand that but this is a development question because most likely i will have to port the apk to the current build and that will involve coding and problem solving there for this is in the correct area thank you

Either way you still completely disregarded the search feature and the stickies indicating to look through those threads before creating a new one. To answer your question. Short answer: No. Long answer: Search.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
The answer to your question has already been discussed/answered before. If you want a comprehensive answer, then ask in the Q&A subforum (or in the Hero build thread). My answering you here would only propagate the notion that this is the correct subforum to be posting questions in new threads, which it is not.

jubeh

Mar 15, 2009
four spam replies when one gets the point across.... I wonder which is worse, the poster or the barrage of "use search" after it;
If you mean actual porting, it can be done. You'd basically have to reverse engineer the apks to get them to work on the regular google framework. It should be a little easier now with JF's tool to dissasemble dex files. You can't look at the actual code, but just looking at the function and class names should give you an idea of what they do and how to code an equivalent function for when a certain apk makes a call, then you can either;
1. remake the apk, but using google's regular APIs or,
2. just move the apk, and make your own framework that passes those requests to the appropriate API handler if it exists within the google framework, if not, then make your own with either java or the just-released C++ builder. Kind of like WINE does.

I've always thought the best option is to just make comparable versions of the apks that run on the default google framework, it can be done, it's just exactly the way aHome and other home replacement apps do it, better and faster too. And for example, there are replica Hero widgets out there that look and behave much like their real counterparts, again, without requiring any of hero's libs or frameworks.
If people want real TouchFlo working on the phone, then we need real development to happen and actually make these programs instead of just taking the already built files (which were never meant for the Dream in the first place) and just trying to make them work.

renocivik

May 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Jubeh.. that was a great response... it really helped me to understand things i was curious about or never even thought about... I am no programmer.. just a G1 lover.. lovin to learn about my phone :) anyways great reply..

jubeh

Mar 15, 2009
sorry for the second post, but i didn't want to edit the wall of text and have this ignored;
also, if you like the hero look (because, other than the beautiful app integration that hero and rogers roms share, the only difference is the eye candy), you should try Tehseano's OpenHome hero theme. There's several widgets too in the market for twitter, facebook, and other apps that are standard in hero. It won't look EXACTLY the same, but functionality will be similar and it works on Ion.

W.O.P.R

Apr 2, 2007
Aurora, CO
Regardless of whether "Search" should have been used or not (I am a huge prponent of "Search" owning many forums of my own) this thread needs to stay alive. Being that Hero is deep down just another 1.5 ROM with a new UI on top this should be possible. I have pulled and attempted to install a few (Footprints and Social Network Provider) apk's but get the standard error regarding the app not being able to be installed with the ROM. If we can figure out how to integrate certain features of Hero into a Cupcake build the community will benefit greatly.