Google Drive Discussion

Search This thread

blazinazn

Nov 17, 2008
So for all of those who have tried out google drive, what do you think?

I have no issues dumping drop box but for now, I won't. It feels really clunky to me but I'm sure that will change over time.

My biggest beef with it right now, I can't select which folders to sync even though I picked a specific folder on the desktop G Drive app, it still shows up on android and there is no way to hide it. Very annoying that it syncs stuff that I don't want to see.

Secondly, I don't like how you can't save files from the G Drive app on android directly to the phone like you can with drop box. I use drop box heavily because I transfer files to and from my phone quite a bit (.zip files for flashing mods/tweaks/roms) This keeps me from having to plug in my phone every time I need to transfer files to and from my computer.

With G drive, I'm not able to do this. Unless I'm just overlooking it?

The first issue is just an annoyance, the second is a deal breaker for me.

I'll still use it for now but I'll still be utilizing drop box for the time being.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

blazinazn

Nov 17, 2008
I'd like to see the ability to auto upload pics like Dropbox has. This has saved me a few times!

Do you use google+ at all? I have that to auto sync all my pictures. Kind of redundant to use that feature for drop box so I don't.

I like to use G+ instead of drop box for folder because it automatically uploads it into picasa.

R3537L1F3

Jun 17, 2011
Orlando
I still waiting on the email to say my Google Drive is ready.

Sent from my Not Yet Rooted but still Epic SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

faceless

Feb 24, 2008
I still waiting on the email to say my Google Drive is ready.

Sent from my Not Yet Rooted but still Epic SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
try logging in again... it took me 15 minutes after trying the first time for it to be available... and that was yesterday. i still haven't received the email.

Do you use google+ at all? I have that to auto sync all my pictures. Kind of redundant to use that feature for drop box so I don't.

I like to use G+ instead of drop box for folder because it automatically uploads it into picasa.

G+/Picasa resizes them to 3MP (2048*1536) though, and with heavier compression too, you're losing a lot of detail if that's your only backup.

Last edited:

josidhe

May 5, 2010
Seattle
My problem with Google Drive is simple: I've never touched it, and only just heard about it yesterday, and yet somehow, mysteriously--nay, magically--it has appeared on my list of previously installed apps on the Play Store.

Screw that tactic, Google. You have the whole front page of the store to hawk your wares. Don't muddy my own library.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

xopher.hunter

Mar 21, 2011
Ventura
My problem with Google Drive is simple: I've never touched it, and only just heard about it yesterday, and yet somehow, mysteriously--nay, magically--it has appeared on my list of previously installed apps on the Play Store.

Screw that tactic, Google. You have the whole front page of the store to hawk your wares. Don't muddy my own library.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

They transformed their google docs app to google drive. So if you already had the google docs app its logo changed and asks for an update

Sent from my Nexus Slide 4G

Xiutehcuhtli

Jun 1, 2011
Aurora, CO
considering I have used G Docs regularly since 2004-2005, I really don't care what else they do to the Google Drive as long as they don't get rid of that basic functionality that they have always had and have done better than all competitors.
I do like the idea of uploading pictures, but do agree I would like it to be automatic like Dropbox. I realize G+ does it as well, but with pictures, especially if they are of children like 90% of mine are, can you have too many backups? I have my pictures uploaded everywhere.

nicenice19

Jul 27, 2010
South Florida
It would be nice if all the Google products storage was all merged into drive. Access to your Picasa/google + photos, google music etc... just add all the space together.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

engenuine

Nov 21, 2011
hmm

I just replaced my dropbox with Gdrive,.. w/o having used it at all, just thought I'd trust good ol' google. I'm seeing some quirks so far when it comes to syncing folders as it is still showing "sync" icon next to some files when the tray icon actually states that the syncing is complete. Definitely dropbox performs better at this moment imo.