[ROM-DEV] 04/16/10 | Back from the dead | Coming soon

Search This thread

toastcfh

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I was able to get it to recognize on the Sprint network. And I could both send and receive texts. I didn't test sync but it did appear data was working as the setup was asking me to sync with google and facebook and everything. However it quickly slows to a halt and then won't wake up after sleeping. Seems like I've run in to a major memory leak.

Edit: It took a while to update but the debugger is recognizing the phone even when it's in this state. I only have 7mb of free memory. lol. 72% is taken up by "unknown" so yea. Something is eating it up. I'll continue to dig.

What did u do to get it working? Should I ditch my ideas?

tvrvic

May 17, 2007
I was able to get it to recognize on the Sprint network. And I could both send and receive texts. I didn't test sync but it did appear data was working as the setup was asking me to sync with google and facebook and everything. However it quickly slows to a halt and then won't wake up after sleeping. Seems like I've run in to a major memory leak.

Edit: It took a while to update but the debugger is recognizing the phone even when it's in this state. I only have 7mb of free memory. lol. 72% is taken up by "unknown" so yea. Something is eating it up. I'll continue to dig.

Kill the com.android.phone process and the phone will come back to life, that is about where I got to, unfortunately once you do this you can not make any calls. I think I need to get inside the boot.img now, but I need to setup a Linux VM to keep going with that.

toastcfh

Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Can u believe it 60+ posts and not a single one about how to root the hero! I think this maybe a first for the cdma hero threads.;D

flipzmode

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
Can u believe it 60+ posts and not a single one about how to root the hero! I think this maybe a first for the cdma hero threads.;D

lol! Hey toastcfh are you on gtalk? PM me your addy if you are. Although I was talking behnam (gsm dev -- very nice guy) and it seems that it might not be possible for us to really make much progress on this rom because we don't have the most up to date kernel available for cdma.

quietcblongs

Nov 8, 2009
Something to investigate is what/how are some of the CDMA (or Sprint) specific settings/menu items come about, like "Update PRL" or "Update Profile". Hopefully, its not a build specific settings app, but just config files. The "Update Profile" really just sets the username/pw for the data connection (PPP), but I think this data does not really reside within Android, but within the MSM chipset's own data storage, same with the PRL, I wonder if QPST works on this phone, hmm.

toastcfh

Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
The kernel is a major problem. But were hacking up this one to work. Here's an idea for the sensors issue. In our Rom in /system/lib/hw there is a file called sensors.heroc. try swapping that file like we did for the WLAN.lo to get WiFi working. It may work. Also u might have to remove the c from hero on that file

toastcfh

Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Something to investigate is what/how are some of the CDMA (or Sprint) specific settings/menu items come about, like "Update PRL" or "Update Profile". Hopefully, its not a build specific settings app, but just config files. The "Update Profile" really just sets the username/pw for the data connection (PPP), but I think this data does not really reside within Android, but within the MSM chipset's own data storage, same with the PRL, I wonder if QPST works on this phone, hmm.

I'm thinking all the set5ings and stuff are loaded through apks and stuff in the app folder. But I also think u may need to remove and uninstall the gsm stuff too.

flipzmode

Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
I'm thinking all the set5ings and stuff are loaded through apks and stuff in the app folder. But I also think u may need to remove and uninstall the gsm stuff too.

All the progress I've made has been by comparing the Droid rom dump to this GSM 2.1 Hero dump so for those of you messing with this you might want to check that out.

The Droid dump would be a much easier place for us to start with because it is a CDMA device. The problem is the only rom dumps I can find only consist of the /system/ directory which isn't enough to get it booting on our phone. I'm assuming that the droid hasn't been rooted which is why we don't have a full rom dump available to us.

quietcblongs

Nov 8, 2009
All the progress I've made has been by comparing the Droid rom dump to this GSM 2.1 Hero dump so for those of you messing with this you might want to check that out.

The Droid dump would be a much easier place for us to start with because it is a CDMA device. The problem is the only rom dumps I can find only consist of the /system/ directory which isn't enough to get it booting on our phone. I'm assuming that the droid hasn't been rooted which is why we don't have a full rom dump available to us.

Hmm, the Moto Droid 2.0 build is set for an OMAP chipset, rather than msm7k, so while the apk's could work, the lib's and other "native" files would probably not work right?

A side question for this newb (me) in compiling Android, where are these ro.cdma.* (found in the Droid's build.prop) properties set?

toastcfh

Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL

Good thinking. I searched for the dump lastnight but got side tracked. But yeah root is prolly the issue. Building a .29 kernel for heroc isnt gonna happen very soon. So hacking this one may work but we need a newer kernel. Bad.... anyhow I can't even test my ideas I'm at work.... errr....

david279

Sep 4, 2007
New Orleans
Hmm, the Moto Droid 2.0 build is set for an OMAP chipset, rather than msm7k, so while the apk's could work, the lib's and other "native" files would probably not work right?

A side question for this newb (me) in compiling Android, where are these ro.cdma.* (found in the Droid's build.prop) properties set?

ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310004
ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Verizon ro.cdma.homesystem=64,65,76,77,78,79,80,81,82,83
ro.cdma.data_retry_config=default_randomization=2000,0,0,120000,180000,540000,960000

from droid system dump

toastcfh

Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Anyone tried to swap apn-config files? Although in the apn-config it says it must match apninfo.xml. god... I gotta get home

flipzmode

Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
Anyone tried to swap apn-config files? Although in the apn-config it says it must match apninfo.xml. god... I gotta get home

Yup, I did that before I even posted the rom and it didn't help.

I got it to recognize on sprint by changing the follwing in build.prop:

Code:
ro.telephony.default_network = 0

to

Code:
ro.telephony.default_network = 4

After that it changed from "no service" to "Sprint" and showed my signal. I'm pretty sure that's the change that did it at least. I made a few changes at once. Ha.

Another thing I've noticed is if I try swapping Phone.apk with the one from droid or with our original 1.5 then com.phone still crashes, and on top of that it goes back to "no service". However it doesn't suffer from the memory leak. So that is part of it. I'm going to rip open the apk and see if I can find anything.

chuckhriczko

Inactive Recognized Developer
Yup, I did that before I even posted the rom and it didn't help.

I got it to recognize on sprint by changing the follwing in build.prop:

Code:
ro.telephony.default_network = 0

to

Code:
ro.telephony.default_network = 4

After that it changed from "no service" to "Sprint" and showed my signal. I'm pretty sure that's the change that did it at least. I made a few changes at once. Ha.

Another thing I've noticed is if I try swapping Phone.apk with the one from droid or with our original 1.5 then com.phone still crashes, and on top of that it goes back to "no service". However it doesn't suffer from the memory leak. So that is part of it. I'm going to rip open the apk and see if I can find anything.

What if we try to pull the phone.apk from the GSM Hero 2.1 builds? My theory is maybe the Phone.apk is just the UI and as long as we have the right radio (which we do) it will work. Maybe not but figure it might be worth a shot.

flipzmode

Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
Yeah but I was thinking maybe the Hero phone.apk is different than the Moto apk. I'll try it when I get a chance.

Oh sorry I misread what you said. But pulling it from a HTC 2.1 gsm build? That's what's in there right now. Let me know if you have any success. Toast and I have been gtalking back and forth and trying different things but he's stuck at work so he can't try anything right now. We've made progress as far as saying "ok well that isn't working because of this" but the hard work is making this work with that. ;)

seankk

Aug 30, 2005
NY (LI)
..from

do we have any idea when this will be released as a custom stable or a upgrade via ower carrier or htc themsellves

chuckhriczko

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oh sorry I misread what you said. But pulling it from a HTC 2.1 gsm build? That's what's in there right now. Let me know if you have any success. Toast and I have been gtalking back and forth and trying different things but he's stuck at work so he can't try anything right now. We've made progress as far as saying "ok well that isn't working because of this" but the hard work is making this work with that. ;)

Ok. I thought it might be but wasnt sure. Did we try the phone.apk from the 1.5 Hero we currently have? I cant remember :)

cteneyck

Jun 24, 2009
Dallas
if you could just take the phone .apk and recompile it for the 2.x kernel you will be ok. remember phone is an app and on the cdma hero it was compiled for 1.5 so it probly needs to have the 2.0 kernel support added to it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    boot issue,

i had the same prob with the initaial install of 2.1 i booted into recovery then did a wipe again and installed it again and boot it worked maybe try that.
    sorry if its a waste of time,

FYI

my jammed at the HTC screen where the H then the T then the C all light up form left to right mine paused at the T so i knew somthing was up.

post bak if it works i want 2.1 damn it besides it being useless as a phone i liked it, it was dumb fast and i dunno a faw bat files to add apps well be good.
    sean