[Q] about the new Amazon Instant Video app

Search This thread

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
There's a new app that basically lets you spoof your device as one of a few other devices (one of them being the Kindle Fire HD): http://codekiem.com/2013/02/13/market-helper/

Any chance we could use this to download the Amazon Instant Video app and fool it into thinking it's running on a Kindle Fire HD?

That only lets you download apps from Google Play which aren't compatible. Would have been useful when the Google TV Amazon Video app first came out, but we already got someone with a compatible TV to get the apk:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36271417&postcount=37

The problem with that apk is its failing to run due to missing files from the LG Google TV that aren't in regular android. Meanwhile, the Kindle Fire ripped apk is outside of Google Play as it only ships on Kindle Fires.

cloud1771

Jun 5, 2012
currently I only have several Android phones. And I am in the market for a Tablet... reading though this post makes it look like if i want a android tablet that had a app for instant video I better get a Kindle fire and root it to have the rest of the function of the tablet.

It was between the Nexus 10 and the Kindle Fire HD 8.9.

Has anyone got the Amazon Instant Video app to work on any other device other than a kindle fire???

bookworm6

Jan 18, 2011
This has become more significant in light of Amazon's enabling of Adobe DRM on their videos. As far as I know now, there is no possible way to watch Amazon Instant Video on Android devices... :(

BmoreBadBoy

Jun 18, 2010
I just started fooling around with remote desktop servers/clients and 1 workaround is to connect to a remote windows desktop, open up a browser on that computer and watch amazon prime that way. It's convoluted and the picture is choppy but maybe with some tuning it could be workable...

Gonzorito

Feb 16, 2007
Bmore, I was thinking the same thing at this point.

Did you use splashtop? Find anything better? I know it's not free anymore (officially).

I've tried others, and splashtop seems to have the smoothest performance for playing video remotely (and games).

BmoreBadBoy

Jun 18, 2010
Gonzo, Did you try 2x client/server?

That's what I'm using since they are free for personal use. I just started messing around with it, so I'm not sure how well it will work, but I did get it to play, although the picture clipped and I couldn't hear anything. When I do some more experimenting, I'll report back. If anyone else has more experience with this, please share...

BmoreBadBoy

Jun 18, 2010
Anyone who wants to tell amazon prime to take it's DRM against android and shove it up their arse go find market helper online (not on google play).

I'm watching spongebob HD on my gn2 spoofed as an amazon kindle hd. Next, Justified!!! Now I can enjoy my subscription to the fullest once again. Make sure to leave a donation on the developer's page...

ezieger

Dec 23, 2010
DC
between the ads for kindle fires and the app opportunists, I think its safe to say this thread is dead.

...you are all the enemy.

BmoreBadBoy

Jun 18, 2010
Say what? Well ok the thread was originally b*tching about no amazon instant video app for non kindle devices but it was transformed into finding any way to watch amazon instant videos on android devices. In any case, I shared my solution. Take it or leave it!

Gonzorito

Feb 16, 2007
Bmore, FWIW...I read the link as just trying to help, not an ad.

Are you accessing by a browser with flash installed, or kindle fire .app's? I didn't think the apk route would work even with that spoof.

Presently accessing splashtop to a machine that it's always on its the best solution for me. Limitations...

The free versions are older versions. Slashtop decided to cash in and charge subscriptions for full services. Requires always in computer :(

Thanks for your help.

ezieger

Dec 23, 2010
DC
I may just be getting cynical. if it is legit working, that's great. just sounded too good to be true/applicable.

BmoreBadBoy

Jun 18, 2010
It's for true

First download the free app from the developer's website and follow instructions. Then go to the stock browser (with most current unsupported flash installed from website, of course, and I'm running Lab rats rom - rooted) and go to amazon website. Click on desktop version. Then enjoy. Oh, make sure you make screen timeout never so it doesn't interrupt your viewing pleasure. Personally, I'll be catching up on Justified during long, boring doctor's visits with my residents...oh, and I don't blame you, it does sound too good to be true...:D

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

I just tried the apk...keeps fc'ing on me. let me know if you have better luck...

Last edited:

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
What app?

If you want to view the desktop site just use a browser that lets you use a custom/desktop user agent like Dolphin or Firefox.

Gonzorito

Feb 16, 2007
I get cynical too. The spoof still won't be a "pure" convenient solution. If it works we will have to temporarily switch out to kindle hd "mode" every time we want to watch.

We all know until Amazon changes their policy / reassess an app it won't be convenient.

The DRM on flash, lack of html5 solution is just lame by Amazon. I'm sorry I bought all my videos with them.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

What app?

If you want to view the desktop site just use a browser that lets you use a custom/desktop user agent like Dolphin or Firefox.

Spunker that used to work for me fine...then something changed. Flash works on other sites but for Amazon I just get a black screen now. I have to root my new phone though...so that might be the problem for me.

BmoreBadBoy

Jun 18, 2010
spunker - It's called market helper. There's one in the play store, but that's not it. Google it and you will find it.

Gonzo - I feel bad for you. I haven't bought anything, I just watch what's free on amazon instant for prime members. I guess I can't blame amazon completely...looks like shyt is being pushed in the senate to start forcing people to pay taxes on internet purchases out of state. That's sure to put a damper on sales/profits...

As far as the spoof goes, it's convenient enough for me. Takes all of 2 minutes to employ, and lasts until you reboot. Better than nothing. I wouldn't hold my breath for Amazon to change their policy...they've got kindle fires to sell and the MAFIAA on their back...

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
they've got kindle fires to sell and the MAFIAA on their back...

Amazon makes hardly any money on Kindle Fires, they are merely a content delivery platform with profit being made from media bought for the device.

Based on this there is no reason Amazon shouldn't release an Android app. By not having one, they are just letting potential customers buy from their media from Google Play, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

BmoreBadBoy

Jun 18, 2010
I would assume Amazon is going for market share, then raise prices once they've got the market in a head lock. Why else would they deny Android devices not only an app but also access via web browsers if they plan to only make money on content delivery?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Considering this is a thread about the Amazon VOD APP can we stop talking about watching it in the browser please?
    An update bin file was posted and I grabbed the apk file from that. So far no luck, it FCs on my Touchpad with CM9. I tried installing as a regular app making sure Voodoo had me unrooted. I also tried as a system apk and rebooted, still FCs. It refuses to install on GB so I imagine its using API Level 15.

Hopefully it just needs another apk installed, Ill play around with it and see if I can get it working.

EDIT: I installed aLogcat to see if I could narrow down what is causing the FC. Its looking for the class "amazon.unifiedsettings.UnifiedSettingsHelper" which doesn't exist. Later in the log the FC is caused by a fatal exception with the class "amazon/unifiedsettings/UnidifedSettingsHelper" not being found. Is this a lib file or a system apk it wants?

EDIT2: I gave up on it for now. I tried some lib files, tried installing as many apks as I could (didn't try replacing system apks). It still FCs with the same error log and I can't find any files that reference unified settings. I also downloaded the Kindle Fire 2 update file (the updated original fire) and its using the same APK. LCD Density for the HD is 240 and 160 for the regular Fire 2. I use 160 on my Touchpad so that shouldn't be the issue.
    with that it can now be installed, however still force closes when tries to open...logcat gives
    01-24 02:14:03.394 8699 8699 E AndroidRuntime: Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.google.android.tv.media.GtvMediaPlayer

So it didn't find that specific file name. It did however find two other files that started with com.google.android.tv I'll share links to them shortly.

They were both located in /system/framework

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

The first file is com.google.android.tv.odex

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5c3bbwuw45c1dm/com.google.android.tv.odex

The second on is com.google.android.tv.jar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gs4523zwzzboz3d/com.google.android.tv.jar

Still working on the best way to get a file dump. ES Explorer isn't capable of zipping and sharing entire directories and I don;t know yet whether I can get one of the other file managment apps you mentioned to work. I may be able to use airdroid. I'll try that real quick before I head out of town for the weekend.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Okay so airdroid didn't work since it doesn't have access to the root directory. However, I was able to zip the system folder and upload it to dropbox. The data folder didn't have anything it. I've attached the link below. Let me know if you need anything else.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ziiuar02yuvv6ul/system.zip
    Sorry for the wait. Been crazy busy these past few days. I'll try to see if I can find/pull the library files tonight.
    I'm the guy from GTVhacker who posted the apk from my LG 55G2. As I said over on GTVhacker if you need anything else from me to get this working let me know.