[GUIDE][ROOT XPERIA Z]Plus XZ Dual Recovery

Search This thread

shoey63

Recognized Contributor
Here is a simple guide to root Xperia Z and install @[NUT]'s XZ dual recovery at the same time (BIG thanks to him:good:)
**NOTE: If you are on .569 or .101 firmware, you will need to downgrade to a previous version as no rooting exploit is currently available**

Before starting, as always, make sure you have a backup of your data

• Download XZ dual recovery from Here, and unzip it.
    Go to Settings/About Phone/Build number and tap it 7 times to enable Developer Options
    Go back, open Developer Options, check USB debugging box, and Click OK to allow.
    Plug the phone into the PC via USB cable.
    Now go to XZDR folder, run the install file and choose [ 3. Installation on unrooted ROM ]
    If a message about RSA key comes up, allow it.
    After installation, the phone will boot into Philz Touch 6 recovery.
    Go to /Philz settings and select Re-root System (SuperSU) /Yes - Apply SuperSU.
    The log should say "done install SuperSU from market"
    Select ***Go Back***/Reboot System Now.
    You are now rooted with XZ Dual recovery :D

Dont forget to install Chainfire's SuperSU app from Playstore, and update su Binary when prompted:good:
To enter the recoveries during the boot process, press volume up to enter Philz CWM Advanced edition, or volume down to enter TWRP when green LED comes on.
Alternatively, use the newly installed NDR utils app to choose which recovery to boot into.

For more information on XZ Dual Recovery go Here

Have fun and enjoy:)

Last edited:

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
An alternative way of gaining root after installing the dual recovery would be to simply boot into one of the recoveries and flash a superuser zip. That would install the superuser control apk to /system/app and includes the latest su binaries.
Chainfire always has the latest version of SuperSu available in zip form on his website - http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
:)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

jerryhou85

Senior Moderator | Developer Committee
Staff member
An alternative way of gaining root after installing the dual recovery would be to simply boot into one of the recoveries and flash a superuser zip. That would install the superuser control apk to /system/app and includes the latest su binaries.
Chainfire always has the latest version of SuperSu available in zip form on his website - http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu

If I'm on .569 already, unroot and unlocked bootloader, can I still use your method? Install the dual recovery and flash SuperSU?

Last edited:

marceli7

May 15, 2008
Poznań
Is this procedure ok for stock 4.2.2 XZ 6603 with locked bootloader? Bootloader stays untouched after this?
Maybe my questions looks lame for You but I wanna ask before then be sorry after.

BTW: It seams to be too easy... I just can't believe! :good:

shoey63

Recognized Contributor
Is this procedure ok for stock 4.2.2 XZ 6603 with locked bootloader? Bootloader stays untouched after this?
Maybe my questions looks lame for You but I wanna ask before then be sorry after.

BTW: It seams to be too easy... I just can't believe! :good:

Yes, I tested it successfully on that configuration, and it doesn't interfere with bootloader. Once you achieve root, it might be.a good idea to backup your TA partition.:thumbup:

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Ah-Bollox

Oct 30, 2013
Dublin
Hey there, I'm getting hope here
I have the Xperia z

With locked bl
10.4.1.B.0.101

Will this root my phone and let me install cyanogenmod rom on my phone.
Please tell me yes

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app C6603.

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
Hey there, I'm getting hope here
I have the Xperia z

With locked bl
10.4.1.B.0.101

Will this root my phone and let me install cyanogenmod rom on my phone.
Please tell me yes

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app C6603.

No. If you want to flash Cyanogenmod (or any other non stock based rom), you need to unlock your bootloader.

Reactions: Ah-Bollox

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a simple guide to root Xperia Z and install @[NUT]'s XZ dual recovery at the same time (BIG thanks to him:good:)
    **NOTE: If you are on .569 or .101 firmware, you will need to downgrade to a previous version as no rooting exploit is currently available**

Before starting, as always, make sure you have a backup of your data

• Download XZ dual recovery from Here, and unzip it.
      Go to Settings/About Phone/Build number and tap it 7 times to enable Developer Options
      Go back, open Developer Options, check USB debugging box, and Click OK to allow.
      Plug the phone into the PC via USB cable.
      Now go to XZDR folder, run the install file and choose [ 3. Installation on unrooted ROM ]
      If a message about RSA key comes up, allow it.
      After installation, the phone will boot into Philz Touch 6 recovery.
      Go to /Philz settings and select Re-root System (SuperSU) /Yes - Apply SuperSU.
      The log should say "done install SuperSU from market"
      Select ***Go Back***/Reboot System Now.
      You are now rooted with XZ Dual recovery :D

Dont forget to install Chainfire's SuperSU app from Playstore, and update su Binary when prompted:good:
    To enter the recoveries during the boot process, press volume up to enter Philz CWM Advanced edition, or volume down to enter TWRP when green LED comes on.
    Alternatively, use the newly installed NDR utils app to choose which recovery to boot into.

For more information on XZ Dual Recovery go Here

Have fun and enjoy:)
    If I'm on .569 already, unroot and unlocked bootloader, can I still use your method? Install the dual recovery and flash SuperSU?
    You can use This one too;)

Damn, how about a 4.4 rom?

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

No. The 4.4 roms that are currently available are non stock based. Anything that needs a custom kernel needs an unlocked bootloader.

If your bootloader is unlocked then simply flash DooMLoRD's advanced stock kernel , then flash the SuperSU zip that I linked to.