[Video Guide] Xperia U --- How to unlock and Root

Search This thread

melchiar

Feb 21, 2011
Like this then?

Hey guys,

which firmware are you on ? If you're using anything other than B.1.10, then you need to flash the B.1.10 kernel (just the kernel) and then use Root with Bin4ry. After the reboots, you'll have root ;) Then, flash back the kernel you were using and it will work fine :D

Also, if it still doesnt work, try Bin4ry v12 or v9. Both worked fine for me always ;)

Is this the right way then?

1. Flash my st25i via Flashtool to B.1.10 (from sony developers site: "Open source archive for build 6.1.1.B.1.10" It's the first result after searching B.1.10. It's a .tar file. Is this the one to use? I can't post links just yet..)

2. Root with Bin4ry

3. Update phone to B.1.54 via PC COMPANION (since bootloader is still locked, I assume updating this way will work.. please confirm..)

4. Result => B.1.54 with root.

Is this correct please?

Thanks

Last edited:

Min3r

Dec 8, 2012
Nope dude.. There's an FTF for B.1.10 f/w which includes kernel and rom and also one with just the kernel. Download either one and flash just the Kernel. If you downlaod the full f/w, just deselect all the Wipe options on top right side and select all Exclude options on bottom right except the Kernel part and you get the B.1.10 kernel :)

Then you root it, and then same procedure I described in previous paragraph, you flash the B.1.54 kernel (you can use the FTF you already have) Then you're rooted and done ;) PCC will remove the root again so you cant use that method :p

Reactions: melchiar

melchiar

Feb 21, 2011
Nope dude.. There's an FTF for B.1.10 f/w which includes kernel and rom and also one with just the kernel. Download either one and flash just the Kernel. If you downlaod the full f/w, just deselect all the Wipe options on top right side and select all Exclude options on bottom right except the Kernel part and you get the B.1.10 kernel :)

Then you root it, and then same procedure I described in previous paragraph, you flash the B.1.54 kernel (you can use the FTF you already have) Then you're rooted and done ;) PCC will remove the root again so you cant use that method :p

Do you mean the one from topic "[ICS][SXU][ST25i] Firmware 6.1.1.B.1.10"..?

Can you please point out where to download a clean versoin of the 6.1.1.B.1.10 kernel. Can I download it from the Sony developer page?

Thank already.. (yes I'm a noob, even still I have red a lot of topics about this...)

melchiar

Feb 21, 2011
Thats the FTF of the B.1.10 firmware ;) That will serve for this purpose :D

Min3r thanks for the info. As I was looking in other topics too, I saw you helped out a lot of people.

That being said. Here's a status update:

I flashed B1.10. kernel with Flashtool. After that my phone rebooted but I couldn't see anything. It responed with an amazing amount of lag. I couldn't even enter my pin code, so I just rooted it with Bin4ry. That worked fine.

After that I flashed with Flashtool back to B.1.54 (which I extraced from my phone in the beginning..)

Result: No ROOT..

EDIT: It's rooted now. When flashing back to B.1.54. I just had to flash kernel.. Ridiculously obvious afterwards..

Last edited:

Min3r

Dec 8, 2012
Min3r thanks for the info. As I was looking in other topics too, I saw you helped out a lot of people.

That being said. Here's a status update:

I flashed B1.10. kernel with Flashtool. After that my phone rebooted but I couldn't see anything. It responed with an amazing amount of lag. I couldn't even enter my pin code, so I just rooted it with Bin4ry. That worked fine.

After that I flashed with Flashtool back to B.1.54 (which I extraced from my phone in the beginning..)

Result: No ROOT..

EDIT: It's rooted now. When flashing back to B.1.54. I just had to flash kernel.. Ridiculously obvious afterwards..

Hey mate, glad to know you got it working ;) And yes, I try to help out where i can :) Thanks for noticing :p

Flashtool and rooting are quite easy when you understand. I remember thinking how stupid I was when I thought things were so complicated compared to old HTC way and all lol

Also FTF is used exclusively for Flashtool which is a tool by Bin4ry & Androxyde for Xperia phones, so you wont find FTF on Sony sites :p

Hope that clears things up :)

Cheers

zedsharma

Dec 11, 2012
chandigarh
xperia u rooting problem help !

hey i tried rooting my xperia u ......ics............ and its not rooting with binary
and it says deamon started sucessfully
and after dat i waited for 1 hour bt nothing happens

thanks in advance.........

Last edited:

Anthrax

Oct 22, 2012
Mumbai
Min3r, do you know if the files of this topic (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2028139) are working? I really want to root my st25a, but my version is .54 :/
If I use those .ftf I will root my phone? I'm too scared to brick it. :p

thanks
Just this method will help you to root your fone........
ROOT as the following :

1. Flash ics 6.1.1.b.1.10 Kernel
2. Root with flashtools
3. Flash ics 6.1.1.b.1.54 Kernel
for the kernels visit the links in that thread....
it wont hard brick until you do something stupid without knowing what you are doing... :p

J-Santos

Jan 19, 2013
Setubal
My st25i say that the status for root is no.
Can I just flash the kernel to get root access like U mentioned?

2. Root with flashtools

I am on version 6.1.1.b.1.54

Other thing...I have send to sony my IMEI and they gave me the unlock code for the bootloader despite in my phone says like I told you before that "root access not allowed" can I use this code risk free?

I just want the root access I don't mind the locked bootloader but I think I cant have root access if the bootloader is locked correct? I have tried several methods and I am confused, can you please, explain?

What do you recommend the best thing to do?

Thank you in advance.

Sorry for the bad English I hope you understand what I mean.

Anthrax

Oct 22, 2012
Mumbai

2. Root with flashtools

Other thing...I have send to sony my IMEI and they gave me the unlock code for the bootloader despite in my phone says like I told you before that "root access not allowed" can I use this code risk free?

I just want the root access I don't mind the locked bootloader but I think I cant have root access if the bootloader is locked correct? I have tried several methods and I am confused, can you please, explain?

Thank you in advance.

Locked bootloader or unlock bootloader has nothing to do with ROOTing.......
So if you BL is locked or not dosent matter.........

You are on .54 FW so use the steps which you mentioned and you will be rooted........
the Code which you received by sending you IMEI no is for unlocking bootloader........

Reactions: J-Santos

aditya.inst

Oct 21, 2012
New Delhi
no need to have unlocked bootloader to root

2. Root with flashtools

Thank you in advance.

yes u can but will need ICS with backup and restore application
download Flashtool and root with unlock icon

u can again permanently unroot too

Reactions: J-Santos

Siilver

Feb 13, 2012
Lisboa
Getting frustrated

2. Root with flashtools

Thank you in advance.

I can't do this! I tried to flash the .10 Kernel and my phone goes haywire (I can't even mark my PIN because the touch doesn't work)... I've spent so much time trying to root my XU and I got so much frustrated...I'm starting to give up.

Can someone, please, help me?

Anthrax

Oct 22, 2012
Mumbai
I can't do this! I tried to flash the .10 Kernel and my phone goes haywire (I can't even mark my PIN because the touch doesn't work)... I've spent so much time trying to root my XU and I got so much frustrated...I'm starting to give up.

Can someone, please, help me?
What is the problem plz explain and provide details.........

Siilver

Feb 13, 2012
Lisboa
What is the problem plz explain and provide details.........

I'm using the .54 sony rom. I saw a root guide that told me to flash the .10 kernel, so I did it...and after the kernel was flashed...my phone would brick. The touchscreen didn't work, and I couldn't root it trough the flashtool anyway. I tried other guides, but it allways came to the problem of not being able to flash the .10 kernel for the flashtool root to work.

I'm sorry if I can't explain myself better. But I'm not native english. Send me a PM if you need anymore info. Thank you so much.:)

Anthrax

Oct 22, 2012
Mumbai
I'm using the .54 sony rom. I saw a root guide that told me to flash the .10 kernel, so I did it...and after the kernel was flashed...my phone would brick. The touchscreen didn't work, and I couldn't root it trough the flashtool anyway. I tried other guides, but it allways came to the problem of not being able to flash the .10 kernel for the flashtool root to work.

I'm sorry if I can't explain myself better. But I'm not native english. Send me a PM if you need anymore info. Thank you so much.:)
Are you able to use flashtool????????
can you flash any ftf file??????
if yes then download GB ftf for your fone and then flash it...... this will help you to get your touchscreen working most probably...... coz one person has tried it and this worked for him........

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had hidden it inside another thread, but figured it should be mentioned in the Q&A for all those that could use it.

For ICS (android 4.0+)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

For GB (android 2.3.7)

It will guide you step by step through the unlocking process and rooting the Xperia U
    (same principles apply for P & S but no examples/kernels provided)

Credits (links)
    Guide based on the information provided by DoomLord
    The 1.564 kernel is made by DoomLord
    The 3.184 kernel is made by KeiranFTW
    More information about warranty: visit Sony Forum

For the noobs:

Root / Rooting = to lift the default protection of the Android OS and gives you access to all system files that are normally hidden from you
    This enables extra functionality but also requires knowledge about the android system to know what is safe to do and what not.

- Simple root use: changing theme elements / new battery icons / individually controlling the LEDs
    - Advanced root use: overclocking your CPU / adjusting the OS / making a custom ROM
    Which one is better? Root using this step or (Root with Restore by Bin4ry_v14) ?? I still new in this.. Hope you guys can help me. Just update my xperia U, now i use ics.. :D

These root guide is Pre-ICS so for ICS you'll have to use different kernels then provided here or use the Binary methode
    Hey guys,

which firmware are you on ? If you're using anything other than B.1.10, then you need to flash the B.1.10 kernel (just the kernel) and then use Root with Bin4ry. After the reboots, you'll have root ;) Then, flash back the kernel you were using and it will work fine :D

Also, if it still doesnt work, try Bin4ry v12 or v9. Both worked fine for me always ;)
    Followed the guide, my U lost the ability to change colors when viewing the themes (cosmic flow) although when viewing images it still works fine. Also started getting some lag. Any way to somehow fix these?

This is a known bug on the Xperia U. However to fix it, all you have to do is install the Light1.1.apk from the following thread (Credits to straciam).
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1823418

PS: I have not tested this app but I speculate that this will be the solution based on the comments in that thread. I would recommend you to read the thread first. If this helped, do thank me and the developer of the app :p

@nixx-X1: I would like to request you to incorporate a re-locking guide for Xperia U. I would've done it myself but seems like your video tutorial actually makes things simpler.
    My fone says its bootloader cannot be unlocked. Is there any way to root the phone or get ICS without unlocking the bootloader ?

Yes, you can root it by flashing a stock kernel which is prerooted or you can flash a Stock kernel that supports binary method.
    Also, you can install recovery and flash custom roms which are pre rooted and support locked bootloaders.

just flash a stock ICS via flashtool ( there are numerous guides in the forum)