"Special offers" another way to disable it

Search This thread

Doit_nt

Dec 21, 2012
Popayán
Hi there!, sorry for my english. :confused:

:laugh: Well, I did a full factory reset to my Kindle Fire HDX 7, after that, the "Special offers" don't appear again. Root no needed.

Versión: 13.3.1.0

Steps:

1. Go to Settings Menu
2. Tap on Device
3. Tap on Reset to Factory Defaults
4. Select Reset

Wait for reboot, then "Special Offers" will not appear in lock screen

Hola, bueno ahora en español es más fácil la explicación, simplemente hice la restauración a estado de fabrica y los anuncios desaparecieron, al parecer son instalados como aplicación después de configurar el sistema. :good:

Last edited:

Faznx92

Nov 18, 2013

:laugh: Well, I did a full factory reset to my Kindle Fire HDX 7, after of that, the "Special offers" don't appear again. Root no needed. May "Special offers" was installed after install mojito.

Hola, bueno ahora en español es más fácil la explicación, simplemente hice la restauración a estado de fabrica y los anuncios desaparecieron, al parecer son instalados como aplicación después de configurar el sistema. :good:

What version were you running at the time?

tech6

Nov 20, 2011
Another Way To Disable Special Offers?

You are going to have to be a little bit more clear than that. What are you saying? :)

:laugh: Well, I did a full factory reset to my Kindle Fire HDX 7, after of that, the "Special offers" don't appear again. Root no needed. May "Special offers" was installed after install mojito.

godsburden

Dec 24, 2013

I just did something similar with my 8.9.... basically, i removed special offers and did the wallpaper fix when i rooted the hdx and when i restored to the original firmware (modifed the file to make it think it was a new firmware being installed), the offers and ads all disappeared entirely. I don't know if they'll return until the firmware update is pushed to the tablet, but so far, ads just disappeared and won't be coming back it seems.

godsburden

Dec 24, 2013
Bit of an update: While the ads are completely gone, the message on the lock screen says i need to verify my kindle fire with amazon. The thing is, i did verify it with them. So while i have no "special offers" advertised on the kindle, the menu is still there and the lockscreen still shows it, but the images don't exist. Very odd. I'm sure if i do a factory reset it'll show up again.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Bit of an update: While the ads are completely gone, the message on the lock screen says i need to verify my kindle fire with amazon. The thing is, i did verify it with them. So while i have no "special offers" advertised on the kindle, the menu is still there and the lockscreen still shows it, but the images don't exist. Very odd. I'm sure if i do a factory reset it'll show up again.

As predicted, they showed up again. So if ads are something that absolutely drive you crazy, you can easily get rid of them using the root/update method.

Doit_nt

Dec 21, 2012
Popayán
You are going to have to be a little bit more clear than that. What are you saying? :)

Sorry, well, I did this:

Steps:

1. Go to Settings Menu
2. Tap on Device
4. Select Reset

Wait for reboot, then "Special Offers" will not appear in lock screen. :laugh: Sorry again...

Last edited:
Reactions: tech6

tech6

Nov 20, 2011
Thanks for elaborating. However, do you not reset your device and loose root when you do that?

Sorry, well, I did this:

Steps:

1. Go to Settings Menu
2. Tap on Device
4. Select Reset

Wait for reboot, then "Special Offers" will not appear in lock screen. :laugh: Sorry again...

dokie80

May 23, 2008
jakarta
Can't u just root and flash with stock ROM but with the no ad version?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

tech6

Nov 20, 2011
I did this and the ads do disappear if you are powering down the Kindle. However, they now re-appear when the Kindle goes into hibernation. Once you wake it up, those lovely ads are back! Any suggestions?

I tried Stunts wallpaper fix after I rooted and used the scripts to get Gapps on the Kindle. When using the wallpaper fix, I lost root. It may be because of adding BusyBox, but I'm not sure. When BusyBox is added and I do the wallpaper fix I lose root. So, I have nothing but a black screen now, no wallpaper.

tl3

Feb 9, 2014
Home Screen Setting to Hide 'Ads'

... those lovely ads are back! Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what ads or "Special Offers" you all are referring to, since I've never seen any such push-ads as described here in this thread, on my stock HDX7--not rooted, no factory "reset", nor "wallpaper fix". I'm also not sure if you all are aware of the following setting:

<Settings> <Applications> <Home Screen> [Show/Hide Recommendations] <Hide>

FYI, give this a try...

tech6

Nov 20, 2011
TL3, thanks for your reply. You got me, I forgot to change that setting. I did, but it just meant less ads to go thru. Before the tech guys (I love 'em all!) came up with the latest script, I didn't have any ads. There are no ads once the Kindle restarts after being turned off, but when it goes to black or into hibernation the ads reappear. Once waking it up, the ads are on the lockscreen. Using the Gapps script, I have not been able to get rid of them when waking up the Kindle.

However, there was a fix that here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2569309 that required removing permissions from the adunits folder. When you do that, they disappear, but you may be left with one wallpaper, the lockscreen wallpapers stop rotating at that point. So, you're left with the dull looking pencil one I believe it was. Others also reported the same.

I just deal with it. It's no biggie, just interesting why it's occuring along with the Kindle upgrading message when you re-start the device. Thanks for the reminder about the ad recommendations. I forgot to change it. Cpasjuste's Gapps script did so much for us, I thought he had thought of that also! :)

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. :)

Happy Kindling!

tl3

Feb 9, 2014
Manage My Kindle

... I forgot to change that setting. I did, but it just meant less ads to go thru. ...

@tech6, not sure if this is applicable, but I just discovered another 'Special Offers' setting that might help...

amazonDOTcomSLASHmyk [...I can't post links yet...]

Click on 'Manage Your Devices' on the left under 'Your Kindle Account'

Click on 'Edit' next to 'Special Offers' to unsubscribe

FYI...

tech6

Nov 20, 2011
Oh yeah I went there. I was ready to hit the unsubscribe button when I saw where if you do that is an automatic $15 . Your research is very goog I must say.

It's like no two Kindles are the same. Like you and othrts don't have this problem , but I do. I'm wondering is it because I reset my device using the build number change method. Because when I first rooted it! I didnt have this problem.

Well, the ads are at least very appealing to the eye. Thanks for your suggestion. :)

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

tl3

Feb 9, 2014
Oh yeah I went there. I was ready to hit the unsubscribe button when I saw where if you do that is an automatic $15 . Your research is very goog I must say.

$15?! WTH... :eek: I just so happened upon this setting when I was searching for a way to change the device name. Anyway, my 'Special Offers' setting was already indicating as 'Unsubscribed' when I logged into my account. When I click on 'Edit' to see what other options are available, I got the following pop-up notice:

Code:
Subscribe to Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers

To subscribe to Special Offers, you will first need to set up your 1-Click payment method with a valid U.S. billing address here*.
* Link to my Amazon.com's Payment Settings page referencing that "kinw_myk_dtcp_need_one_click".

I never had, nor will I ever if I can help it, setup that 1-Click payment on my Amazon account so I backed out and didn't get to see how 'subscribe' and 'unsubscribe' work.

FYI...

Reactions: tech6

tech6

Nov 20, 2011
I don't have the once clicked I will check again and see if I get a message that they will charge me. Maybe that's the problem.

Oh, no when I went there and was met with this message:

Unsubscribe from Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
This Kindle is currently subscribed to Special Offers and was purchased at a subsidized price ($15 discount).

Amazon is able to offer the Kindle at a subsidized price by delivering Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers.

By unsubscribing you will be charged $15 (plus applicable tax)

Also, my Kindle reboots when in stock rom if I turn off wireless. However, it only takes one time to turn it back on. When in rom 1 it took me several tries before it would come back on.

HTH

Last edited:

tl3

Feb 9, 2014
This doesn't seem right to me... seems more like 'extortion' in order to remove SPAM from a tablet that one had purchased?! This makes me very leery when Amazon asks to click on anything Kindle-related in the future, and I'll be sure to scrutinize those fine prints way more thoroughly...

If you weren't rooted, I would suggest contacting their 'Mayday' support and have them explain fully this unsubscribe fee. However, you're already rooted, so they wouldn't be of much service now. You might try removing any 1-Click payment scheme that you currently have associated with your Amazon account, and see if that automatically disable your 'Special Offers' subscription since they won't have any means of getting at your money. This really sucks...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sorry, well, I did this:

Steps:

1. Go to Settings Menu
    2. Tap on Device
    4. Select Reset

$15?! WTH... :eek: I just so happened upon this setting when I was searching for a way to change the device name. Anyway, my 'Special Offers' setting was already indicating as 'Unsubscribed' when I logged into my account. When I click on 'Edit' to see what other options are available, I got the following pop-up notice:

Code:
    Subscribe to Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers

To subscribe to Special Offers, you will first need to set up your 1-Click payment method with a valid U.S. billing address here*.
    * Link to my Amazon.com's Payment Settings page referencing that "kinw_myk_dtcp_need_one_click".

I never had, nor will I ever if I can help it, setup that 1-Click payment on my Amazon account so I backed out and didn't get to see how 'subscribe' and 'unsubscribe' work.

FYI...