Odd phenomenon when charging.

Search This thread

PcFish

Jul 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I'm procrastinating at work, noticed something weird.
When the phone is charging, I glide my fingers across the back, and feel a faint charge, kind of like the phone is vibrating. Maybe my fingers are super sensitive to the grooves in the finish? I don't know.

As an engineer, let's go about this scientifically.

Control:
  • Naked HTC One M8 (Gunmetal) with Spigen Tempered Glass Protector
  • OEM HTC Charger that came with the phone
  • Plugged in to a surge protector. The only other thing plugged in is the AC Charger for my HP Elitebook
  • Phone is face down while plugged in on wooden desk

Test:
  • Gently glide finger across the back of the phone.

Anyone else feel this? Or am I going crazy at my government job?

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
Next step is voltmeter and phone case vs ground. It's possible that the charger isn't properly grounded, so although it only delivers a potential of 5V, those 5V are sitting on a 50Hz sine wave of, maybe 30-50V (thats a guess based on my experience of electrical shocks).

badboy47

Nov 23, 2009
3460846-jim-carrey-jim-carrey-31633722-500-288.gif

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jcau

Sep 8, 2015
I have felt it forever but my baby just felt like that because he was sitting on the charging phone. Suddenly it is more disturbing than neat.

khporosh

Mar 11, 2017
I felt it for a long time. I use it as a indicator of charger quality. My HTC one m8 charger that came with the box charged it without any problem at all for the first few days. Then suddenly this vibration arised from nowhere. I tried another m8 charger it didn't cause the vibration. Then i tried some aftermarket nonbrand cheap chargers, all of them caused the same vibration. Then i tried a two samsung charger that came with my two other phone, they didn't give any vibration at all. Then I tried a Xiaomi charger that came with Redmi4prime, it was also perfect. BTW all of the chargers I used are two pin, no ground whatsoever.

Top Liked Posts