[MOD] YouTube 4.4.11 (v5b), *1080p* / 720p HD (over WiFi & 3G), screen off playback

Search This thread

theos0o

Dec 26, 2010
Sitia
[MOD] YouTube 4.4.11 (v5b), *1080p* / 720p HD (over WiFi & 3G), screen off playback

Hello ;)

I saw some threads floating around about youtube 720p playback, and I really always wanted that myself.
But I was stupid enough not to even try.
I did try now and, yep, I got it working!

How I installed it:
** Remember: Your device must be capable of 1080p/720p video decoding and rooted, unless YouTube is not preinstalled as a system app!

• Removed /system/app/YouTube.apk
• If YouTube is still in the app drawer, go into YouTube app info and tap "Remove installed updates", then "Force stop".
• Install my APK!

If that doesn't work for you, try this alternative method:
• Remove YouTube.apk from /system/app (if there is any)
• Uninstall YouTube if it's still on the drawer
• Push my APK into /system/app (be careful with permissions / ownership)​

Downloads

Android 2.2 or newer (Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean)

v4.4.11 - Build v5b mod warning: Please use the blue download button! The green one contains Malware!

v4.4.11 Inverted (Dark theme) - Build v5b mod warning: Please use the blue download button! The green one contains Malware! (Thanks to rujelus22, B-boy, Team Blackout)

Holo blue inverted builds mod warning: Please use the blue download button! The green one contains Malware! (Thanks to Kryten2k35)

To enable my extras, just press your phone's menu button (or open the overflow menu top right corner) then tap "Advanced Settings" ;)

Older builds mod warning: Please use the blue download button! The green one contains Malware!

How to get 3rd party apps utilizing YouTube player to work with this mod

v5b Source (smali/resources changes, eclipse project)
mod warning: Please use the blue download button! The green one contains Malware!

WiFi HD: HD only available when connected to WiFi networks
WiFi + 3G HD: HD available on both WiFi and mobile networks

Enjoy, thank & donate! :highfive:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gilg@mesh

Jan 15, 2009
Stockholm
I think its only for ICS, work with Galaxy S2 CM9, can you also make a version of the black Holo theme Youtube app this is the white version.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

armanderli

Jun 23, 2009
Paris
Hello again ;)

Again I hope I'm the first who's done this, hopefully not a repost.

I saw some threads floating around about youtube 720p playback, and I really always wanted that too for a long time.
But I was stupid enough not to even try it.

It's build 3.5.5, and has been tested on Galaxy S running ICS 4.0.3.

How I installed it:
• If YouTube is still there, just go into its app info tab and tap "Remove installed updates" or something, then "Force stop".
• Install my APK!​

Download:
MediaFire (.apk)

I don't know if this APK runs OK on Froyo/Gingerbread, but I guess I can patch those APKs too, if someone gives them to me.

Waiting for your feedback! :)
Doesn't work on Gingerbread...I think the .apk need to be patched
Dpn't have ICS so can't test on that plateform...

melvinchng

Oct 17, 2010
Penang
2.4.4 is for GB
3.5.5 is for 3.0+

And you have to set density to 182 to view YouTube HD. Both 2.4.4 and 3.5.5 have built in HD feature...

Accidentally sent from my Google Nexus S using XDA Premium

theos0o

Dec 26, 2010
Sitia
2.4.4 is for GB
3.5.5 is for 3.0+

And you have to set density to 182 to view YouTube HD. Both 2.4.4 and 3.5.5 have built in HD feature...

Accidentally sent from my Google Nexus S using XDA Premium

Yeah, but why bother changing your DPI if you can just install a modded APK?
And does changing DPI enable proper HD functionality?

screenshot2pcq.png

Reactions: Marino Pacheco

theos0o

Dec 26, 2010
Sitia
Ok, I've uploaded a modded 2.4.4 build.
Try it and write back, as it crashes on ICS (?).

Ximo F. Verde

Jan 12, 2010
Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro (Redmi K30 Pro)
So, would this app FORCE 720p on GB devices (the 2.4.4)? Got a o2x running GB (CM7.2 temasek's hang) and even though its a 800x480 display the difference between 480p youtube and 720p youtube is huge (clearly seen using jetvd). I have downloaded this version from market but there's no difference is quality (apps 'sees' display's resolution and stays at 480p)
Thanx

EDIT: And it would obviously also mean 720p output on HDMI.. sweeeeeet

theos0o

Dec 26, 2010
Sitia
No, it just has an "HD" button instead of "HQ". ;)
Video quality is indeed much higher.

Just re-uploaded modded 2.4.4. WORKING, tested by me.

Reactions: jcpq

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello ;)

I saw some threads floating around about youtube 720p playback, and I really always wanted that myself.
    But I was stupid enough not to even try.

How I installed it:
    ** Remember: Your device must be capable of 1080p/720p video decoding and rooted, unless YouTube is not preinstalled as a system app!

• If YouTube is still in the app drawer, go into YouTube app info and tap "Remove installed updates", then "Force stop".
    • Install my APK!

If that doesn't work for you, try this alternative method:
    • Remove YouTube.apk from /system/app (if there is any)
    • Uninstall YouTube if it's still on the drawer
    • Push my APK into /system/app (be careful with permissions / ownership)​

Downloads

Android 2.2 or newer (Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean)

v4.4.11 - Build v5b mod warning: Please use the blue download button! The green one contains Malware!

v4.4.11 Inverted (Dark theme) - Build v5b mod warning: Please use the blue download button! The green one contains Malware! (Thanks to rujelus22, B-boy, Team Blackout)

Holo blue inverted builds mod warning: Please use the blue download button! The green one contains Malware! (Thanks to Kryten2k35)

To enable my extras, just press your phone's menu button (or open the overflow menu top right corner) then tap "Advanced Settings" ;)

Older builds mod warning: Please use the blue download button! The green one contains Malware!

How to get 3rd party apps utilizing YouTube player to work with this mod

v5b Source (smali/resources changes, eclipse project)
    mod warning: Please use the blue download button! The green one contains Malware!

WiFi HD: HD only available when connected to WiFi networks
    WiFi + 3G HD: HD available on both WiFi and mobile networks

Enjoy, thank & donate! :highfive:
    OP has been updated with the latest update (inverted included).
    OP has been updated with v5 *BETA*

Changes:
    ~ Added 1080p playback option (***BETA***)
    ~ Workaround for videos that stop auto-play (playlists)

Super thanks to @OsamaGhareeb, hopefully next release will be merged with his work! :)

---------------------------

1080p actually replaces the 720p stream with a 1080p one, if available.
    This may change if you prefer keeping the 720p stream as well, for example I could replace the 360/480p one with 720p and the 720p with 1080p.

If you get any error when trying to view a video in 1080p, go to advanced settings -> Restart youtube and try again.

DO NOT try to watch 1080p videos on devices that do not support 1080p playback..
    probably just busy with other projects...

Some people think I'm a machine ;)

OP updated with inverted build..
    Soo many requests, so little time ;)

Black themed WiFi + 3G HD with screen off playback
    Froyo / GB: http://d-h.st/84r
    Honeycomb / ICS / JB: http://d-h.st/OdB