Upgrade RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

header2k

i think that the ram is in the SoC of many modern phone, but i know that there is an onlineshop offering ram upgrades for _ really_ old Windows Mobile Phones which have seperate RAM blocks (Ball-Grid Array). And i know that there was a chinese tutorial on how to change the ram byself, altough i can't find it anymore.
As ciolansteen mentioned before, you'll need either an expensive device or try your luck with a heatgun in order to upgrade those.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
It really depends on the device.

If it's a device that uses PoP RAM (such as nearly all OMAP devices) - I don't think even AdamOutler could pull off the soldering job required for this. It goes way beyond the normal difficulties of BGA reflowing/soldering.

If it's a device with a separate RAM chip - maybe, but the amount of equipment required will come close to the price of buying a new device.

TheWeirdOne

Aug 31, 2011
You've all heard of Swap Partitions, haven't you? Technically, you aren't *replacing* The RAM on your phone, but you could always create a swap on an external sd, probably one with a higher class, so read/write speeds, and storing/recovering information would be much faster.
Just create one, via CWM, or your pc, and boot into the terminal emulator, and type "swap 0". Or, you could just get an app from the market, if you're too lazy to do all that.
Trust me, your phone does seem a tad faster after doing that.

If you've heard of all this, well, Pardonez-moi.

wipeout_uk

Apr 7, 2012
I remember back in 2001 when I was working for a GSM repair workshop that we used to replace bga ic's using this kind of hot air gun. As a conclusion - Yes! It can be done if you have the right set of documentation / tools.

Happy Modding! :)

Heh, same here - worked for NEC back in the 90s. So much easier to get the BGAs off then back on again...

I don't know if modern phones ever reuse the same boards for diff. models (eg high end with more RAM chips, low end with empty spaces on the board for them), but if they did, upgrading a board to same spec as higher end would stand more chance of success IMO. :)

Undead Maleficar

Apr 12, 2012
Clarks Summit, PA
So many people saying it's impossible. It's not; nothing is impossible except dividing by zero, and falling in to a black hole and living to tell about it, and... well okay, I guess a lot of things are impossible, but this isn't.

It would however take much more skill and prior knowledge than you probably possess. After all, if you have the resources and knowledge, even if the RAM doesn't exist... you can make it.

You've all heard of Swap Partitions, haven't you? Technically, you aren't *replacing* The RAM on your phone, but you could always create a swap on an external sd, probably one with a higher class, so read/write speeds, and storing/recovering information would be much faster.
Just create one, via CWM, or your pc, and boot into the terminal emulator, and type "swap 0". Or, you could just get an app from the market, if you're too lazy to do all that.
Trust me, your phone does seem a tad faster after doing that.

If you've heard of all this, well, Pardonez-moi.

Not all phones are good with swap (some ROMs in the Galaxy Ace cause bootloops after making a swap).....and especially if your sdcard sucks (like a Class 2 or something)

hongromeo

Apr 19, 2012
Ho Chi Minh City
I think, can't upgrade RAm on any model mobile. because can effect to any device different inside mobile.

PS:Sorry for bad English :)

Last edited:

acoy

Apr 23, 2012
Hairplayer: it's not commonly done but certainly 'possible'. Speaking with friends who've done that sort of thing (on embedded devices, not phones), the hardest thing is getting it all to fit together again, as well as being careful to not short circuit stuff as you solder the new module back in.

Best option: check out the manufacturer of the RAM component (either through the phone's spec sheets or the writing on the component itself) and select the most similar module (same model/line) with more space. Then, desolder, solder in the new chip and cross your fingers. I'm not 100% sure with Android but you may need to slightly modify the ROM as well (less of a problem if you chose a similar chip). It's a bit hit and miss and by no means an exact science, and generally turns out ugly.

If you're interested, check out the dd-wrt forums, these kinds of operations are relatively common on routers (similarly embedded devices). The big difference there is that there's a lot more space to work with there and the components are a little easier to access and more spaced out.

Last edited:

SPBoss

Apr 30, 2012
Yep you can also upgrade CPU and GPU.. nuclear powered batteries are also available. My battery is at 91% after 6 months heavy usage.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Seeing as how the RAM modules built into the phone mother board are BGAs (ball grid arrays) it is nearly impossible to replace them without highly specialized equiptment like a FineTech BGA rework machine and the proper heat profiles for the given parts. That said you are more than welcome to try some methods that are not proven but seem very funny to me. I believe there is a youtube video of a man desoldering a BGA using an oven.

Needless to say of you dont like the amount of RAM your device has you may just have to wait until you can get another device.

all smartphone devices have x amount of ram. say if you have 1gb ram in your phone you might only be able to use 868mb of it . it is becous your phone uses 128 mb for your gpu. it is plausible to make some of your gpu ram available as regular ram and that is done with an kernel mod. for my phone(lg optimus) 2x it is called a ram hack. it always comes with some faults depending on how much you take from the gpu. i have a 32mb shared ram hack so i cant reboot just have to turn the phone on and off
    its possible but it will cost you more money.

Dont listen to that guy :))
    Its not and it will not be possbile for example Galaxy S2 has 1Gb of ram , everyting is on a chip , thats why they call it Soc 'sistem on chip ' so everything is there the cpu , gpu , ram , controllers etc ...
    Its a chip , u can not do anything with it , so stop asking stupid qustions about upgrading ram in phone .
    Hello! Is it possible to replace and upgrade your phone's RAM and solder aftermarket RAM in it?

Thanks!

ps. Sorry for bad English