FAQ: X1 RADIOs

Search This thread

J-Pro

Dec 23, 2008
Kishinev
Good afternoon, people!

Yesterday I wanted to renew my Radio firmware in my X1 and found a thread about new 1.14 radio. But I've got a lot of questions about how to do it and do I need to patch something, why do I need some dll's, what NK.exe patching is, etc. I've asked fards and he kindly explained everything(thank you again, dear fards!)

So now I just want to share the experience. Just to make some people's life a bit easier ;)

Here it comes, the FAQ. It's 50% consists of fards answers and 50% of my knowledge. But my knowledge definitely owes this forum and fards :)

Q: What do I need to upgrade my Radio to the latest one? (it's for those who doesn't want to know technical details and wants just newer X1 radio, nothing more)
A:
1. HardSPL your X1.
2. Go here and get whatever radio you want, but ONLY from "XPERIA X1 RADIOS" section.
3. Remember three things:
- FLASHING A RADIO SHOULD NOT DELETE/RESET YOUR PHONE INFO
- FLASHING A RADIO LASTS APROX. 1 OR 2 MINUTES ONLY
- YOU ARE FLASHING THIS RADIO AT YOUR OWN RISK
4. Go through one of methods below:

1) MICRO SD FLASH METHOD

FIRST:
- Charge Xperia X1 > 50% (100% if possible)
- Prepare a micro SD card: format to FAT32 with default block size
- USB cable must be disconnected from PC or power outlet (mains)

STEPS:
- Rename the radio file to KOVSimg.nbh
- Copy to micro SD card's root directory
- Insert micro SD card in the phone
- Remove and reinsert phone battery
- Go to bootloader mode (hold vol key + power key)
- Follow on-screen instructions
- When flash finishes remove/insert batter and power on

Not flashing?
a) Format another micro SD card (FTA32, default block size) and try again
b) Use the RUU method from PC

2) RADIO UPDATE UTILITY (RUU) FLASH METHOD

FIRST:
- Charge Xperia X1 > 50% (100% if possible)
- Be sure your phone is connected to PC
(XP: activesync, Vista: Windows Mobile Device Center)
- Win Vista: install latests .NET frameworks and WMDC 6.1

STEPS:
- Download the RUU FOR XPERIA X1
- Extract the RUU files to a folder
- Copy only one radio file to that folder
(renaming the *.nbh file is not required)
- Run Xperia X1 RUU app
- Follow on-screen instructions
- When flash finishes disconnect USB, reinsert batter and power on​

Q: Where can I view current radio version?
A: In Start->Settings->System->Device Information->Radio version.

Q: Where can I check and get latest radios for my Xperia?
A: In our forum's Xperia library at "III - TRANSMITTER RADIOS" section.

Q: What's the difference between "Xperia X1 Radios" and "RADIOS FROM OTHER HTC DEVICES", can I use it?
A: Just to make things clear: "Xperia X1 Radios" are taken from different X1 ROMs(so it's X1-compatible by default), "RADIOS FROM OTHER HTC DEVICES" are correspondingly from other HTC devices(so generally it needs things to be done with it to be X1-compatible). BUT there are already done those "things" with radios from different HTC devices(Hex-edited, adapted and tested on a security-unlocked Xperia X1) in our Xperia library, so those radios are already X1-compatible too.

Q: What radios can I practically(with or without damage) flash into my Xperia?
A: You always can flash your original(ROMs) radio. But to flash another radio(not from your current ROM) you need to change HardSPL on your X1 once. Then you can flash any radio you want, but with risk of doing much damage.

Q: Where 1.14 radio came from? Is this radio custom or "handmade"? Or it came from R3A? Where is it from and why SE isn't updating it?
A: Its from lantin american R2AA015 rom... Id expect a newer one with r3 when its released.

Q: What radio is the best one so far?
A: I think the 1.14 is the best radio so far, it is a bit battery greedy, but it does work very well.

Q: After I flash this radio(or the previous one - 1.11.25.76), do I need rilphone.dll to copy to my phone with R2A010?
A: Its not essential but as newer radios are released then different commands seem to added to the RadioInterfaceLevel hence RILphone so ireckon its a good idea.

Q: As I've understood, this rilphone.dll is not the same as patching radio and doing some magic with mysterious NK.exe, right? So even if I want to flash radio version 1.11.25.76, having version 1.06.25.29, I should change this dll? Where should I find it for any listed there Xperia Radios?
A: The rilphone is an translator from the standard windows RIL.dll to the new radio part.
as new radios come out they can (but not always) contain new commands, so it makes sense to use the new rilphone from the same rom as it has those new commands in it, so that the OS can make use of them.
This is why it seems it's best to use the same rilphone as the radio version. I'd imagine the rilphone would come with the rom that the radio was originally taken from.
For example the R2 roms have a new radio attached, so if you flash that rom you'll automatically get the correct rilphone.

Q: Do I need to make a hardreset after I flash the radio?
A: No, hard reset is only for full ROM not radio.

Q: I saw some info about mysterious NK.exe and some radio patching. Why do I need it? Only for making radios from another phones working with mine? For example, if I have Raphael radio and I want it to work on my X1 - I should patch it, am I right? But what if I have XPERIA X1 RADIO from this link? Should I patch it?
A: Patching the NK.exe is really for running unsigned Dll files and exes (from startup or during boot at least) as NK checks the intergrity of core system files I think.. It is just ones loaded during startup I think as When you're in windows the registry settings or certifcates (such as the ones skcert.cab installs) take over.
So you don't need it for just the radio part, but really for the rilphone.dll this stops it from being overwritten by the signed exisiting one in the rom. HOWEVER. using driverwiz (from chainfire) gets around this, as that prog signs the files with a "dummy" certificate, so windows recognises it's signed and uses it..
Most of the custom roms (even the ones that are done by people who don't know what they're doing and just press a button) should contain a patched NK as it's part of the kitchens. It's pretty much essential on a custom rom otherwise you couldn't add anything to it!

Last edited:

J-Pro

Dec 23, 2008
Kishinev
If you still have some questions and want more info, take a look at this Radio thread, it's "full of useful info" (c) fards.

And I think anyone can ask radio questions in this thread. And if anybody helps you - I'll edit the first thread and add there his answer.

P.S.: This is post is owned for emergency info :)

Last edited:

Fulgore69

Jan 9, 2009
Concepcion
Q: Where 1.14 radio came from? Is this radio custom or "handmade"? Or it came from R3A? Where is it from and why SE isn't updating it?
A: Its from lantin american r2 rom... Id expect a newer one with r3 when its released.

You shouldt edit this the radio came from LatinAmerica LAM R2AA015
(1.03.947.15), extracted from it and uploaded by fulgore69..
Give some credit....:D
Also give some credit to Xperia Library to Gtrab
And of course to all forum
Just and advice...:p
Dont take it personal or the wrong way..:eek:
Just posted it here to keep this thread alive
Hope someone make it sticky
And i want to say great thread too...
Lots of knowledge in it....Keep doing it so well...:)

gtrab

Aug 10, 2007
America
hope this post will help to minimize the ammount of ubiquitous questions

will link from the Library

Thanks J-pro

kikonameko

Jan 16, 2008
have any of you heard of whats a better Radio ROM for use in South east asia or maybe probably china. the new 1.14 ROM is fine on its gps lock. but i still experience signal drops which is extremely annoying. i would send a text only to find out the sending failed bec the signal dropped again. i think this is due to the fact that the x1 never really officially got into China. any suggestions?

tranquil20

Jun 29, 2006
Al Ahsa
hi..i have a question..could you please define first rilphone.dll,and what does it do?where can i download it?i have installed the latest radio (as of now) 1.14,where could i download the appropriate rilphone.dll for it..thanx,this thread i hope could answer most of newbies having their x1..

J-Pro

Dec 23, 2008
Kishinev
hi..i have a question..could you please define first rilphone.dll,and what does it do?
The answer is in first post, pay more attention please:
Q: After I flash this radio(or the previous one - 1.11.25.76), do I need rilphone.dll to copy to my phone with R2A010?
A: Its not essential but as newer radios are released then different commands seem to added to the RadioInterfaceLevel hence RILphone so ireckon its a good idea.

Q: As I've understood, this rilphone.dll is not the same as patching radio and doing some magic with mysterious NK.exe, right? So even if I want to flash radio version 1.11.25.76, having version 1.06.25.29, I should change this dll? Where should I find it for any listed there Xperia Radios?
A: The rilphone is an translator from the standard windows RIL.dll to the new radio part.
as new radios come out they can (but not always) contain new commands, so it makes sense to use the new rilphone from the same rom as it has those new commands in it, so that the OS can make use of them.
This is why it seems it's best to use the same rilphone as the radio version. I'd imagine the rilphone would come with the rom that the radio was originally taken from.
For example the R2 roms have a new radio attached, so if you flash that rom you'll automatically get the correct rilphone.

i have installed the latest radio (as of now) 1.14,where could i download the appropriate rilphone.dll for it
In 1.14 thread.

Last edited:

Fulgore69

Jan 9, 2009
Concepcion
Correct me if i am wrong
But i think that you must have hard-spl your phone to flash any radio this include original xperia radios...

Actually you can only flash without hard-spl only if you flash the full original rom image that include the radio, os, splash1, splash2 and of course the corresponding original spl inside....

A: You always can flash your original(ROMs) radio. But to flash another radio(not from your current ROM) you need to change HardSPL on your X1 once. Then you can flash any radio you want, but with risk of doing much damage.

newstar

Apr 28, 2009
but with risk of doing much damage??
what you mean damage? many cooked roms with our radio and if seperately i install radio what much damage for device? can you pls explain me
regards

J-Pro

Dec 23, 2008
Kishinev
but with risk of doing much damage??
what you mean damage? ... can you pls explain me
regards
I think it wasn't a typo. I wrote 'any' radio, so the risk does exist if it will be 'bad' radio, like fards said.
There is written which radios are good to flash, but somebody may get radio from iphone for instance(i know it may be impossible, but just for you to understand) and flash it in X1 without any chance for it to work. That's the damage. Flash only checked radios to prevent any damage. And as usual, you do it on your own risk.

thorell

Nov 28, 2008
WTF... when following your guide how to flash via RUU Update, my phone made a hard reset. But the newer radio is installed. Weird...

Apr 28, 2008
Cleveland
This seems to be a few stupid question that i cannot find answers to.

Why flash one radio over another? What does updating my radio do for me?

Also I live in the US and if i flash a radio will it change the 3g bands available to me?

Thanks.

ekk3

Jan 21, 2009
well, this might be the singel most dumb Q but ayway; what does a new radio do? im new to this.

boky3000

Nov 22, 2008
Well, so far as I know it affects the whole recieve/transmitter section of the phone. As in, phone, 3g/hsdpa, bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS, etc.

I am still running 1.10.25.18. I don't have any issues atm, but are people experience any improvements in later radios?

ekk3

Jan 21, 2009
ty for that info. sonds like it would ock my world.
currently i have like the worse reseption/no reseption at my appartment and i live in the middle of a big city.