[Q] How to root Alcatel OT 918 (Android 2.3.6)

Search This thread

Baracuda86

Sep 6, 2010
Here is a feedback of what I did:
I followed this tutorial: www . symbianize . com / showthread . php?t=736020

I used the files for the 2.3.6 version, with the 918N scatter text and 918N recovery file.I also had to play with the pilots on my computer, and finally I could flash the recovery of my phone.
After that I only had to root from the recovery with nandroid.

I played with a few root programs, and made some mistakes with Link2SD (not to sure of what went wrong), and after rebooting, the screen got black after the android logo at the beginning of the boot... and I did not have a nandroid backup (so if you have nandroid, make sure to immediately make a backup, just in case).
I tried a lot of custom roms, but they were for 918D 918M & 918N, and none was in 2.3.6. I don't know if that was a problem, but I couldn't make the phone boot this way. (I still could access to the Nandroid Recovery)

I finally found a way to repair the phone: Alcatel provides an upgrading software for the 918, after following the procedure, I got the phone with the original system restored.
I rooted again the same way and for now everything is fine.

I don't know if it is the best way to do this (I'm far from being an expert) , but it worked for me.
Maybe my experience will help someone.

Ricky074

Jun 11, 2012
Backup

Ok I will install adaway...

Is it possible to make a complete back up of my phone now ?
Something like a ghost image ?
How can I do ?

In fact I've rooted my phone to increase the free space on the intern memory.
I will try to uninstall pre-installed apps.
I suppose I have to use Titanium backup to do that ?
Next step is to use LinkToSd to make a partition on my SD card.

I you have some tutos, that would be very helpful !
Thanks a lot...

Ricky

mr.exodia

Jun 8, 2012
You should use root uninstaller to remove pre installed apps... but you should try a rom manager (clockworks or something) Titanium backup will just backup all apps... not the rom.

I guess looking for 'rom backup root android' should do the job.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 918 using XDA

j.android

Jun 8, 2012
help

hola chicos, no hablo ingles, alguno de ustedes tiene un tutorial en español que me pueda dar, pues quiero rootear mi celular

mr.exodia

Jun 8, 2012
hola chicos, no hablo ingles, alguno de ustedes tiene un tutorial en español que me pueda dar, pues quiero rootear mi celular

I don't know Spanish, but you should try downloading the attached pack. Just use google translate to translate Readme.txt with all explained.

Make sure you have Android v2.3.6, otherwise you might brick your phone.

Greetings,

Mr. eXoDia

Too big to attach: /mediafire.com/?j7mikzc29s68sd4

j.android

Jun 8, 2012
I don't know Spanish, but you should try downloading the attached pack. Just use google translate to translate Readme.txt with all explained.

Make sure you have Android v2.3.6, otherwise you might brick your phone.

Greetings,

Mr. eXoDia

Too big to attach: /mediafire.com/?j7mikzc29s68sd4

hi, thanks mr. exodia

as backup or recovery before returning to the state that had given me if things go wrong

Traubert

Jun 21, 2012
918D

It's actually outdated...

/xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=747598 <- 2010 post...

Thanks anyways.

I attached the full pack that enables you to root your Alcatel OT-918 Gingerbread v2.3.6

rootp.png

Greetings

Hi. Any idea if this works for the 918D model (dual sim version)? Has anyone tried?

Thanks!

mr.exodia

Jun 8, 2012
Hi,

Could you give some details about your device? Eg: android version...

It should not happen that you use the wrong scatter file and therefore brick your device..

Even better:

Install ADB and execute the following commandline:
adb wait-for-device
adb shell "cat proc/*" > device_info.txt

Please attach the created device_info.txt

Greetz,

Mr. eXoDia

Edit: Try this tool to retrieve the scatter file: /tpodt.net16.net/files/AlcatelScatterRetriever01.rar

Last edited:

mr.exodia

Jun 8, 2012
@traubert: notice that one success doesnt mean it will work on your device... just make sure you use my scatter retriever to ensure everyrhing works..

chleoj

May 6, 2012
Olongapo City
Is there available custom rom for alcatel 918N v2.3.6? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

I have rooted my Alcatel OT 918N v2.3.6, from sun cellular PH, using the scatter file from noxxius. But I want to downgrade to v2.3.5, cause there's a lot of custom rom that support this version. Or is there any other way for downgrading?

mr.exodia

Jun 8, 2012
No publically available custom rom. But what do you want a custom rom for? Maybe it's possible without custom rom.

jacoles2

Oct 20, 2010
Alcatel OT-918n MIX

Please help me.

I got an OT-918n MIX and I get stuck on step 7 using superOneClick

It only shows:

Waiting for device...

But nothing happens.

Please help. Thanks!

mr.exodia

Jun 8, 2012
What about going back a few pages and look for some tools I attached???

colder84

Jul 12, 2012
Unable to root Alcatel OT918D (using flashtool)

Hello,
I have Alcatel OT918D (firmware 2.3.6 build 6573)
I have 30 Mb internal free space and 8GB memory card (not partitioned)

I'm trying to ROOT it

I''ve tried all simple methor (unlockroot, z4root, universalandroot, GingerBreak) without success :crying:

SuperOneClick method (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24288499&postcount=61) does not work (when press root the program remains as "not responding" for more than one hour) :crying:

I tried method "FlashTool"
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1748927
But when press download and plug cable the error showed is

EBOOT ERROR: (16008)
[Android] Partition size changed!
[HINT]
Partial images downloaded error.
The following partitions must be down FULL downloaded all together.

Can someone help me ?

I thank you in advance for your help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found this video on Youtube, I hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRdgPgI8cbc

It's actually outdated...

/xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=747598 <- 2010 post...

Thanks anyways.

I attached the full pack that enables you to root your Alcatel OT-918 Gingerbread v2.3.6

rootp.png

Greetings
    2.3.6 and Rooted...

:)

just want to share, i successfully rooted my OT-918N from SunCellular PH with Android 2.3.6 using the following scatter.txt and recovery.img file.

the procedure i followed was this tutorial by bluerain28 [TUT]Alcatel StockRom for 918D/M/N.

another thing is i set the flashtool to USB Mode instead of scanning to com ports... hope you get the same results as i did.

thanks bluerain28 for the great tutorial.. :)
    ok !

dear mr.exodia

I've installed your driver and it works perfectly !
    My phone is root now !

Thanks a lot...
    Ricky
    Hello, I have this phone Alcatel OT 918 (without N or D) with android 2.3.6, i don't find nothing in the forums for the root method, I try superoneclick 2.3.3, unlockroot23 and the OT 918D method, and nothing. I can't root it. Somebody can help me? Thank you.

There is someone who already did root the latest Alcatel 918 with the Android v2.3.6. But sadly he won't share it to anybody. I'm still finding the way to root it via adb. And that's what he did by using adb stuffs.
    hi Problem for Root Alcatel OT-918. I went to root on my mobile with SP Flash the All, and which were not. post somewhere in the program He wrote format, stepped on it to see what happens. and just finished my phone does not open at all.......plzzzzzzzzzz help meeee

If you indeed whiped you whole phone, it will not possible to recover. You can look for some stock rom sites though. If your phone is new, you cpuld return it to the store and say it doesnt load anymore. Worked in my case :)