[HOW-TO] Downgrade from JB to ICS with locked bootloader

Search This thread

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
having the same problem.
when trying to get into recovery mode (power + vol down, then select the recovery mode) i dont get into recovery mode, but i get a dead android with an exclamation mark..

You need to describe the process in your OWN words, so we can help.
Also make sure you don't have any ZIP files in the root of your internal sdcard.
Red exclamation mark usually caused by:
1. Corrupted download file (re download)
2. Incorrect file name (make sure the download file from Asus website is unzip, the second zip file rename to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
3. Extra zip files in the root directory (delete all the zip file in internal or external root directory of SD card)
4. corrupted external sd card (if you use external sdcard, just reformat with fat32).
5. Frozen system apps/modified properties file.(unfreeze sall system apps and restore original properties file)

Last edited:

hit173

Apr 13, 2010
Also make sure you don't have any ZIP files in the root of your internal sdcard.
2. Incorrect file name (make sure the download file from Asus website is unzip, the second zip file rename to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
3. Extra zip files in the root directory (delete all the zip file in internal or external root directory of SD card)
4. corrupted external sd card (if you use external sdcard, just reformat with fat32).
5. Frozen system apps/modified properties file.(unfreeze sall system apps and restore original properties file)

I have done evrything possibleto get this to work. I even wiped mytab clean and still nothing. This is what i did.

1. I downloaded the file from asus website unzipped it nd renamed it.
2. Placed it on the root of my card
3. Went into recovery mode holding down power+volume down
4. Pressed volume up before the 5 seconds to get into the recovery.
5. Boom red exclamation with open android.
6. Redownloaded did everything again.
7. Made sure I didn't have any other zip file inside the root of my Sd card.
8. Same **** again.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I have done evrything possibleto get this to work. I even wiped mytab clean and still nothing. This is what i did.

1. I downloaded the file from asus website unzipped it nd renamed it.
2. Placed it on the root of my card
3. Went into recovery mode holding down power+volume down
4. Pressed volume up before the 5 seconds to get into the recovery.
5. Boom red exclamation with open android.
6. Redownloaded did everything again.
7. Made sure I didn't have any other zip file inside the root of my Sd card.
8. Same **** again.

Have you tried to download straight from your tab, unzip renamed and copy to the root of your INTERNAL SD card??

xcal321

Aug 13, 2012
-->8--

I recovered from a softbricked JB .16 (rooted and locked) just 3 days ago. I could have recovered JB .16, but I wanted to get root back. So after I recovered to ICS .30 I rooted it and then manually upgraded to JB .16 using the OTA package I had kept aside (backed up to NAS). The next day JB .18 OTA was released and worked just fine.

Before I could restore/downgrade I had to buy a MicroSD card. Looking for a suitable one, I discovered some of the cards do not work when working from recovery mode. Have you tried using a different card? Also, my card (Kingston SDHC 32GB class 10) came formatted as FAT32, which is what I used for the recovery. I'm not sure if it has to be FAT32, but at least for me it worked.

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Yup 1st time i tried it was like that

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

I have one more you can try. Download the full package file from Asus, unzip the file but DO NOT RENAME. The file name should be US_epad-user-10.4.4.16.zip, copy this to the root of your micro SD card. Insert the card back to your tablet. As soon as you inserted, about couple seconds, you should see a notification ask you to upgrade. Good luck.

Reactions: fsured

hit173

Apr 13, 2010
I have one more you can try. Download the full package file from Asus, unzip the file but DO NOT RENAME. The file name should be US_epad-user-10.4.4.16.zip, copy this to the root of your micro SD card. Insert the card back to your tablet. As soon as you inserted, about couple seconds, you should see a notification ask you to upgrade. Good luck.

im going to try this right now

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

For some strange reason it worked I named the update to the original name again and it popped up like an ota update after I restarted

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

pr4wn3r

Jun 20, 2012

I did a full wipe and a factory reset to make sure that all teh system apps were fine!the problem is,i dont get to the point where i can flash the .16
The dead android already comes when trying to enter recovery mode..

Samsung Galaxy Sll - CM9
Asus Transformer Pad TF700T - rooted

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I did a full wipe and a factory reset to make sure that all teh system apps were fine!the problem is,i dont get to the point where i can flash the .16
The dead android already comes when trying to enter recovery mode..

Samsung Galaxy Sll - CM9
Asus Transformer Pad TF700T - rooted

Try this:
Download the full package file from Asus, unzip the file but DO NOT RENAME. The file name should be US_epad-user-10.4.4.16.zip, copy this to the root of your micro SD card. Insert the card back to your tablet. As soon as you inserted, about couple seconds, you should see a notification ask you to upgrade. If you don't see it just reboot your device. Good luck.

taaz69

Apr 6, 2011
Denver
Unable to downgrade to ICS

Has anyone been able to get this to work? I'm able to get into recovery and the Android starts churning on the EP201_768_SDUPDATE. After a little bit, I get the android with red exclamation mark. I tried unzipping the .30 file and placing the zip on the SD card. The tablet sees the update and goes through the usual "Do you really want to downgrade, etc" and then goes into the install but, again after a bit I get the android with red exclamation mark.

Currently I'm on JB .18. I had just got this tablet after doing a warranty return and shortly after firing up, I got the notice to upgrade to JB 16. I could kick myself for not reading the forums first.

So, has anyone found a way?

Thanks.

ingenihero

Nov 2, 2012
Has anyone been able to get this to work? I'm able to get into recovery and the Android starts churning on the EP201_768_SDUPDATE. After a little bit, I get the android with red exclamation mark. I tried unzipping the .30 file and placing the zip on the SD card. The tablet sees the update and goes through the usual "Do you really want to downgrade, etc" and then goes into the install but, again after a bit I get the android with red exclamation mark.

Currently I'm on JB .18. I had just got this tablet after doing a warranty return and shortly after firing up, I got the notice to upgrade to JB 16. I could kick myself for not reading the forums first.

So, has anyone found a way?

Thanks.

Tried with a exFAT microSD, it did not worked but then tried with a FAT32 micro SD it worked. Here is what I did:

1. Format micro SD to FAT32 format (not a quick format) if it is not FAT32 already
2. Copy needed downgrade firmware to microSD without renaming
3. Insert micro SD to tablet
4. Tablet recognizes the downgrade update and ask for continue
5. Continue with the process
6. Tablet reboots
7. Tablet downgrades its OS to 4.0.3

This worked for me...

Reactions: taaz69

taaz69

Apr 6, 2011
Denver
Tried with a exFAT microSD, it did not worked but then tried with a FAT32 micro SD it worked. Here is what I did:

1. Format micro SD to FAT32 format (not a quick format) if it is not FAT32 already
2. Copy needed downgrade firmware to microSD without renaming
3. Insert micro SD to tablet
4. Tablet recognizes the downgrade update and ask for continue
5. Continue with the process
6. Tablet reboots
7. Tablet downgrades its OS to 4.0.3

This worked for me...

I finally got time to do this. Worked perfectly. Thank you so much for the assist.

What most I rename the update file when I gonna copyed in to the internal storage and not a microsd card ?
As I know you can update from internal storage, what most I name the file then ? is i EP201_768_UPDATE.zip then or ?

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
What most I rename the update file when I gonna copyed in to the internal storage and not a microsd card ?
As I know you can update from internal storage, what most I name the file then ? is i EP201_768_UPDATE.zip then or ?

You need to copy the renamed file to root of micro sd card. Turn tablet off and when you turn it on hold the volume down (one closer to the inside). When you see texts on the left corner of the screen, press the other volume button. Let it flash and thats it. You will be back to ICS welcome screen after.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

DjKarras

Aug 25, 2010
I have one question regarding this method... When going to the Asus website, I notice that I cannot download the ICS .30 firmware anymore, only the JB one! I understand that if I want to root I need to be ICS, but right now my tablet is in JB already (and not behaving extremely well, that's why I want to root). Is there any other mirror I can use to download the .30 firmware?

Thanks!

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I have one question regarding this method... When going to the Asus website, I notice that I cannot download the ICS .30 firmware anymore, only the JB one! I understand that if I want to root I need to be ICS, but right now my tablet is in JB already (and not behaving extremely well, that's why I want to root). Is there any other mirror I can use to download the .30 firmware?

Thanks!

Sure, right here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1946456

ShockDoctor7

Jan 12, 2012
What most I rename the update file when I gonna copied in to the internal storage and not a microsd card ?

What worked for me was renaming it: EP201_768_SDUPDATE ---- but BUT but: It needs to be a .zip file type. I removed the .ZIP from the end and it worked! No more Android on his back with a red exclamation mark. It's what I had to do because I am using windows 7 which doesn't show the .zip extension in the file name even though it's really there. So, when the miniSD card is read it would appear to the tablet as EP201_768_SDUPDATE.ZIP.zip - which would give a bad result by having the double extension in the file-name.

The post I followed was down the page about halfway here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1833212

The OP there made a note of this in red but it's easy to overlook. This is probably what many of you are doing...give this a try if you're using Win7, remove the .zip in the filename from the post that you use to rename the download....worked for me like a champ...then I followed instruction at the top of the same post I linked to get root......used Voodoo root keeper to backup root.....temp unroot...then pushed the Jelly Bean update....restored root from backup with Voodoo root keeper....and WHAM! I've now got root on JB. I'd strongly recommend a factory reset once this work is all finished to keep things running well.

I don't take any credit for this work.....this is just a post to help you find the goodies the great guys have provided here for us...I had a hard time and kept getting the droid on his back with a red exclamation mark.....this is what finally worked for me....hope it helps someone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi.
    I upgraded to JB without being rooted, now want root but i'm not ready to unlock bootloader yet. After reading the guide here and seen it requires unlocked bootloader i tried another approach.

WARNING: As always there is a chance something may go wrong... If you do it i'm not responsible for bricks, do it on your own risk.
    WARNING: This will wipe your data
    WARNING: As with all updated make sure your battery is charged

This is what i did:
    1. download .30 firmware from asus site that matches your SKU
    2. extract the zip file to the root of your microSD card
    3. rename extracted file (ex: US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip as mine is US SKU) to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
    4. insert sdcard and power off tablet
    5. press power+voldown, release them after it starts and press volup within 5 seconds to enter stock recovery
    6. working android displayed .................. wait patiently to finish update...........

I think this method is peaty safe as is a normal update, no fastboot, root or unlocked bootloader.
    I sincerely thought asus recovery will skip the update because is a lower version then the one installed but it did not.
    Hi.
    I upgraded to JB without being rooted, now want root but i'm not ready to unlock bootloader yet. After reading the guide here and seen it requires unlocked bootloader i tried another approach.

WARNING: As always there is a chance something may go wrong... If you do it i'm not responsible for bricks, do it on your own risk.
    WARNING: This will wipe your data
    WARNING: As with all updated make sure your battery is charged

This is what i did:
    1. download .30 firmware from asus site that matches your SKU
    2. extract the zip file to the root of your microSD card
    3. rename extracted file (ex: US_epad-user-9.4.5.30.zip as mine is US SKU) to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
    4. insert sdcard and power off tablet
    5. press power+voldown, release them after it starts and press volup within 5 seconds to enter stock recovery
    6. working android displayed .................. wait patiently to finish update...........

I think this method is peaty safe as is a normal update, no fastboot, root or unlocked bootloader.
    I sincerely thought asus recovery will skip the update because is a lower version then the one installed but it did not.

Thanks, I might just try this.. the DPI really bugs me on JB!
    Thanks for you guide, I am waiting for my TF700T, but read a lot about rooting process without unlocking bootloader, so please tell me:
    What about root after your guide ?? Just use rooting instruction from here and use OTA rootKeeper and should work ??

Regards
    Doncieslacco

JB cannot currently be rooted, so you'll need to root 9.4.5.30 first, then use OTA rootkeeper to make a backup of root and enable OTA survival (I also enabled OTA survival in superuser), then apply the JB update, and finally use OTA rootkeeper to restore root.

Also, I would highly advise not installing any apps on it in ICS, b/c a lot of people are experiencing idiosyncrasies in JB that are fixed if you perform a factory reset - since your tablet will be brand new, a factory reset will be a lot less painful with no apps installed.

If you are about to receive your tablet, and it is on 9.4.5.26 or lower, I'd seriously consider first using nvFlash to make a pure backup of the entire before updating to 9.4.5.30, b/c nvFlash does not work on 9.4.5.30 nor 10.4.4.16.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 running Android JB (rooted) via Tapatalk
    If you are about to receive your tablet, and it is on 9.4.5.26 or lower, I'd seriously consider first using nvFlash to make a pure backup of the entire before updating to 9.4.5.30, b/c nvFlash does not work on 9.4.5.30 nor 10.4.4.16.

However that requires unlocking first,voiding your warranty.
    The file you get from Asus is a .zip file. Inside it is another .zip file. Unzip ONE TIME and rename the .zip file while it is on your PC. Then copy it to the sdcard. I used a sdcard reader connected to my PC to copy the file then popped it in the tablet.

when I tried to do it all on the tablet I got the same results. (it no workie)