[App] JWMD Stuick - A Start Menu helper

Do you want the Bar shows only when Start Menu is visible?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Nullstring

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 15, 2009
Baguio
www.jaysonragasa.net
Hi guys,

Again, I made a, I think a pretty useful application for Start Menu. It's not yet done, but I want to show a preview on what this app do.

Do you agree that sometimes scrolling way down to the bottom of the start menu is a bit tiring? Though you can move those on top but .. your application shortcuts in start menu will start getting messy :)

So I made this this start menu app to reduce some of the hard scrolling work.

here are some screenshots

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

LETTER PAD note: available on version 1.1b
picture.php

and video preview

Part 1

Part 2

I hope there's a kind person who can do a better video demo of my app. :D

the original idea was to have a search field at the bottom of the screen on the start menu then the start menu automatically scrolls to, what ever matched on your search. simple eh? the problem is, Start Menu can't receive key presses.. so.. discard.

Progress of the application is like: 98%
the other 2% is of course, unexpected bugs.

Requirements
- NETCF 3.5 Framework

Future Plans
1. use the WM6.5/.x style icon.
2. thinking ...

Compatibility
- All resolution (I hope)
- WM 5?, WM6/6.1, WM6.5/6.5.1

Donation

PROGRESS HISTORY:
5/30/2010
Version 1.1 beta
- added Letter Pad

5/29/2010
Version 1.0 beta
- initial release

5/28/2010
- WP7 style
- added dynamic appbar
- quick list setup
- after weeks of researching, I finally made my goal making Stuick only shows when start menu is visible.
---- thanks to @Mal Loth (MSDN - Forum)
---- I didn't know ShowWindow() API is avilable in coredll.dll
---- incomplete list in pinvoke.net! :mad:

5/16/2010
- Quick List
- Search capability
- SliderList bug fixed.

5/15/2010
- I have replaced the standard NETCF ListView Control to: SliderList Control - Thanks to @Obelix_A
---- but I'm still struggling to look for better kinetic scrolling list because the SliderList control's having an error and the developer hasn't responded yet.
---- currently trying this one Implementing a smoothly animated ListBox
- Bar can be configured to show in left or right side (via app.config)
- app.config reader
- Bar is now wider
- Recent item list
- Items are finger friendly

5/14/2010
- Background Transparency
- NETCF ListView Background
- shortcut lists
- bug fixes
- Bar now shows only when Start Menu is visible (for WM6.5 only <fornow>)

5/13/2010 - around night
- Initial Development
- kinang inang Transparent Label
- by letter navigation

Last edited:

Nullstring

Jul 15, 2009
Baguio
www.jaysonragasa.net
Tutorial
coming soon

FAQ
Question #1
- Why the thin black bar still visible even when I closed the Start Menu.
- The thin black bar covers the Manila/Sense
Answer #1
- Some cooked ROM was not able to handle closing the start menu properly so even if you tap X, the start menu only hides(minimize) and not close.
- this also applies to every application you run in Windows Mobile (mostly in lower version of WM, 6.1 to <) that even if you tap X, the application doesn't close, it only hides(minimize) so the next time your run them, the application just restore to it's normal window state.
- read this - check X marks the spot
Suggetion #1
- If the thin black bar still stays at the top even after tapping X (from start menu)
-- 1. Tap the thin black bar and wait until it fully opens the Stuick UI and ..
-- 2. double tap the vertical letter selection bar (let's just abbreviate that to V.L.S.B.)
- you might want to try Control Your Windows 6.5.x X Button or I think this is better HTC X-Button

application icon? :D

picture.php

and here's the download file.
Please don't forget your feedback and bug reports.

Last edited:

Senax

Aug 27, 2009
Arnhem
Smart Start Menu v1

I can not wait to start using it!

The ridiculous TF3D Programs screen was my main reason to switch TF3D off; too often I never reached the end, due to the ridiculous time it took to get there and launching apps I did not want to launch :mad:

Hope to see a beta soon,
Senax

Tydi

Dec 26, 2008
Paris
Maybe, you should hide the black bar and make the app appear only in the start menu, by sliding to the right ?
And is it possible to make links to apps bigger ?

For the name : Menu Classifier ?

Look very interesting ! Hope that'll be released very soon :)
Thanks a lot for your apps !

Last edited:

Martinhdk

Mar 7, 2007
looks cool man.

consider to move scroll letters to the right side of screen. A lot easier to use and thumb wont cover screen.

This could be second best solution to startmenu, after the still better 6.1 grid....

You will recieve a donation from me.

Mark Crouch

Apr 5, 2006
Bristol
@nullstring - liking the look of this so far....keep up the good work!!!

To echo a previous comment; it would be good to have a little more space between the programs/shortcuts listed.....especially for the fatter-fingered among us :D

As for a name.....how about "Start Quick Pick" :confused:

Thread subscribed....I'll be watching this one with interest!!

Cheers,

Mark.

Martinhdk

Mar 7, 2007
@nullstring - liking the look of this so far....keep up the good work!!!

To echo a previous comment; it would be good to have a little more space between the programs/shortcuts listed.....especially for the fatter-fingered among us :D

As for a name.....how about "Start Quick Pick" :confused:

Thread subscribed....I'll be watching this one with interest!!

Cheers,

Mark.

start quick pick = Stuip :)

Nullstring, would you kindly consider make it an option to show the adjacent letters to significantly improve its finger friendliness and search speed. most of the time the results screen will have a lot of unused space most of the time anyway. you might as will fill it with with something useful

for example. if you are looking for the "M" apps it would also return the the "L" & "N"

Martinhdk

Mar 7, 2007
Stuick sounds nice. An app name should be unique, otherwise it will dissappear in the darkness of the empire... :)

Tydi

Dec 26, 2008
Paris
I was talking about a gesture to star the bar : sliding to the right, then holding your finger and choose a letter by sliding up and down.
Maybe, skinning is a good thing on this kind of programs.
And is it possible to have a popup (showing the selected letter), like in the contact tab, when you are sliding on letter ?

These things will be great ! =D

Nullstring

Jul 15, 2009
Baguio
www.jaysonragasa.net
I was talking about a gesture to star the bar : sliding to the right, then holding your finger and choose a letter by sliding up and down.
Maybe, skinning is a good thing on this kind of programs.
And is it possible to have a popup (showing the selected letter), like in the contact tab, when you are sliding on letter ?

These things will be great ! =D

have you seen the video preview?

and skinning .. thought about it. :)

Last edited:

imax98

Feb 3, 2009
Great Idea & Few Suggestions

Hi Nullstring,

Great Idea. Few suggestions -

1. On launching the application, the initial view can be "recently launched applications". That can be your first letter marked with '#' on top.

2. Can it made as a keyboard compatible, where in the multiple letters entry from keyboard take to the relevant search on applications.

Application Name can be - AppLauncher

Your support to the community is great and commendable.

imax98

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know if this will even be seen but...Excellent app! Works well on my i920 Omnia 2. Unfortunately, it seems to be a bit hungry. After full reboot, without Stuick installed, I have a starting ram of about 77MB. With Stuick installed, but not running, that starting ram drops to about 67MB, and drops further to about 63 when actively running. Anyway to make this otherwise wonderfully useful app less memory intensive? I would like to keep this but I don't think I can afford the cost in ram.