Froyo Orange

Search This thread

marmin

Sep 1, 2007
Yorkshire
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I know its been asked but the answers are very fragmented, so my question is:-

If I'm on Orange, and I've not rooted or unrooted or whatever, do I have to wait for the Desire update, then HTC to play, Then Orange to play?

If so how long is this gonna take from when the Froyo for Desire update is released?

Please dont drag this thread into a when is Froyo gonna be released debate as thats why I'm hvaing to create a new thread in the first place.

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
I know its been asked but the answers are very fragmented, so my question is:-

If I'm on Orange, and I've not rooted or unrooted or whatever, do I have to wait for the Desire update, then HTC to play, Then Orange to play?

If so how long is this gonna take from when the Froyo for Desire update is released?

Please dont drag this thread into a when is Froyo gonna be released debate as thats why I'm hvaing to create a new thread in the first place.

as a rule HTC generally dont release there standard update in a region untill all of there branded roms are ready too :confused: atleast that was one of the reasons htc gave for the late hero eclair update

roscoe141

Apr 17, 2010
I am in exactly the same position as you. I have a unrooted, Ornage branded Desire and I really want Froyo asap.#

Will I get it OTA or will I have to wait for Orange or should I just de-brand and get it OTA?

I have no idea.. :confused:

GANJDROID

May 2, 2010
Norwich
I am in exactly the same position as you. I have a unrooted, Ornage branded Desire and I really want Froyo asap.#

Will I get it OTA or will I have to wait for Orange or should I just de-brand and get it OTA?

I have no idea.. :confused:

That makes no sense to me. All firmware updates are ota, regardless on branding. Non branded phones tend to get sent first. All depends what your carrier has added to the phone.

Prime example: T-Mobile delayed the initial release of Desires because they fecked up their phones with **** they added.

Sent from my Desire using XDA App

roscoe141

Apr 17, 2010
That makes no sense to me. All firmware updates are ota, regardless on branding. Non branded phones tend to get sent first. All depends what your carrier has added to the phone.

Prime example: T-Mobile delayed the initial release of Desires because they fecked up their phones with **** they added.

The point is, even if there is an Froyo OTA update for our phones I might not get mine as it's branded to Orange for another few months...

rockykabir

Apr 20, 2005
London, England
Here is a another thing - as I have an Orange Desire (no modifications - i.e. not flashed and no custom rom), can I unlock the phone from something like HTCCODE and update to Froyo using the official HTC OTA sometime this weekend?

.....but I'm guessing it's not as simple as that?

steve228uk

Jun 29, 2010
Bristol
www.graphicsplant.com
Here is a another thing - as I have an Orange Desire (no modifications - i.e. not flashed and no custom rom), can I unlock the phone from something like HTCCODE and update to Froyo using the official HTC OTA sometime this weekend?

.....but I'm guessing it's not as simple as that?
You'd only have to make a goldcard and flash with a WWE ROM. It'll take about 30 minutes all told.

Echinox

Jan 12, 2009
Question what do you guys understand by branded Orange phone? My Orange Desire has an official HTC ROM if I'm not mistaking, when I open my phone it's load screen says HTC and I don't have any Orange menus or **** on it, it's only network lock. Now the real question will I get the update or not? THX.

GANJDROID

May 2, 2010
Norwich
Question what do you guys understand by branded Orange phone? My Orange Desire has an official HTC ROM if I'm not mistaking, when I open my phone it's load screen says HTC and I don't have any Orange menus or **** on it, it's only network lock. Now the real question will I get the update or not? THX.

1) Your phone isn't branded
2) Everyone will get the update.

langers1

Apr 10, 2009
My phones locked to orange using a custom 2.1 Rom. Ive avoided changing to 2.2 as it is locked to orange so cant flash the radio. Does the OTA release upgrade the radio and as such will this activate the sim lock?

bedeabc

May 9, 2010
Manchester
Hopefully this should make it clear to everyone....

If you're on an Orange branded ROM, you will not get this update until Orange has fannied around making all of its useless, proprietary junk applications compatible with Froyo. That could take weeks, but will likely take months.

To get this OTA update as soon it's released:

Make a goldcard and insert it into your phone.
Flash a stock rom using an RUU executable (1.15 NOT 1.21)
Wait for HTC to release the update.

In theory, it should be possible to get hold of the new ROM before the mass rollout once someone has captured the link to the file on HTC's servers. This is work in progress (See dev section). As soon as that is found, it will be rooted and posted for mass consumption on this forum.

langers1 mentioned flashing radios causing a simlock on Orange devices. Flashing the 5.09 radio does not cause this problem. I and many others have shown this to be the case.

Last edited:

dallholio

Jul 12, 2008
Hull
www.bettrick.com
bedeabc; said:
langers1 mentioned flashing radios causing a simlock on Orange devices. Flashing the 5.09 radio does not cause this problem. I and many others have shown this to be the case.

Really?

If I updated my radio and for whatever reason it did simlock, could I flash my radio back to an older one to unlock it, or would I need to pay to get an unlock code?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

lyno

Feb 9, 2005
Make a goldcard and insert it into your phone.
Flash a stock rom using an RUU executable (1.15 NOT 1.21)
Wait for HTC to release the update.

This is what I have done, but I don't think I will be able to update to FroYo before I first update to 1.21.

What will happen if i try to update to the latest OTA 1.21?

dallholio

Jul 12, 2008
Hull
www.bettrick.com
Just flashed ..5.09 radio and can confirm my Rooted Orange branded didn't simlock. Going to flash my Rom a lot for the first time in weeks ;)

Good thread, clears up confusion

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

langers1

Apr 10, 2009
OMG thanks bedeabc, Ive been wanting to use Froyo with sense since it came out but thought I couldnt cos my phone was not unlocked, u r the man, thanks so much flashing in a few :).

andybondy

Jul 30, 2010
OPPO Find X2 Pro
By the power of Grayskull......

I will have the (FroYo) Power!!!

I am planning to root my Orange branded Desire, cos I am not prepared to wait for Orange to release the OTA for Froyo in their own sweet time.

There is just one thing I dont understand. If I root, my version stays at 2.1.
I plan to then load a custom ROM, with A2SD, etc as Android 2.2.

But what if I decide I dont want it any more and I want to go back to my original software?

I have seen stock ROM's but Orange's ROM isnt there. How do I turn my own ROM into a recoverable ROM?

I have spent all day looking through XDA, modaco and google for answers....
Or am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks

Andy

bedeabc

May 9, 2010
Manchester
I made a slight oversight in my post above. We're not yet sure, but it could be the case that you have to be running a 1.21 ROM in order to receive the Froyo update. However, the 1.21 OTA update comes with a radio which DOES cause a simlock on Orange devices.

However, I believe that there are 1.21 ROMs available in stickies on this forum that don't have a radio update bundled. Flashing one of these would be the best option for unrooted Orange users to get the update ASAP. It's unlikely that the 5.09 radio will cause problems for those with rooted Desires, so that should be ok too.

However, it's likely that the update will be bundled with a new version of HBOOT which could make rooting impossible. Only get the update OTA if you're sure you'll never want to root your Desire. I for one will be waiting for someone here to patch the update with SU permissions :)

@stats101
Radios are software packages that interface between your specific phone's hardware and Android OS. Think of them as driver bundles.

@langers1
Glad to be of help ;)

Last edited: