DIY USB OTG CONVERTER FOR i9100! IT WORKS!

Search This thread

Silberpfeil3110

Dec 23, 2007
Vienna
Weird I got one off eBay from Hong Kong and it works without Modding. Can open files off a USB stick. Got it for £1 :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

I've got the same, very cheap, super quality and working without a problem, with siyah kernel you can also read ntfs hdd's! ;D

Anyone knows how the Galaxy determines to be in home or car dock?

ALexander

The 4th pin is the sense pin. with this pin the phone can define which device is connected.

For example the JIG! You need 300kOhm to use the plug as a jig, you need 200kOhm to use it for car mode... just google for it...

Last edited:

nitesh_pant

Jul 22, 2008
It works >>>>> on S2 i9100G also

Dear,

You are great thanks ..... I have tried a lot of OTG cable on my S2 i9100G but all fails to recognise but as you described on thred the pin no 4 is the sense pin and this is the secret for detecting . After giving ground on pin 4 it works ................

Thanks Thanks Thanks .......again

nitesh

mitsos89

Mar 4, 2012
Athens
You can also use an usb cable so that phone's usb port wont get any damage by accident...
2012-04-02

fafler

Jan 13, 2011
Is it possible to use OTG and charge the phone at the same time? I need this for a DIY dock I'm planning.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

fduraibi

Mar 22, 2009
www.fadvisor.net
Can you please give me some advice on how connect this connector? B -> E?
201110311109102.jpg

This might be late, but it might help someone else

if i am not wrong then the pins are like this:
C: power (VBUS)
D: USB 2.0 differential pair (D−)
B: USB 2.0 differential pair (D+)
E: USB OTG ID for identifying lines (The one not connected in your image)
A: GND

so simply connect E with A and that should do it.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

----------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to add USB charging cable to USB-host cable? I want to use mouse\keyboard\flash and charge device in the same time.
I also interested how to add power to USB-host cable for devices "High-power device connected".

thats excactly my question:
is it possible to use otg cable with a trackball or mouse and at same time charge the S2?
give power to usb mouse and charge S2 over a charger!?

it is not possible. usb host can be used one way not two ways.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Yes it is possible, and it can be used both ways.
Read the Battery Charging Specification http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/batt_charging_1_1.zip

At the end of that document it says that you can make a docking station, where the charger will charge the phone and also provide power to the attached peripherals like keyboard, mouse and display.

Last edited:

fafler

Jan 13, 2011
Thanks a lot for the link. However, I'm still not sure how to actually do it. It seems to be a matter of connecting the right resistors to the USB connector, like in the USB jig, but i have no idea what values to use. I think I saw a table with resistor values somewhere... must search :)

fduraibi

Mar 22, 2009
www.fadvisor.net
Thanks a lot for the link. However, I'm still not sure how to actually do it. It seems to be a matter of connecting the right resistors to the USB connector, like in the USB jig, but i have no idea what values to use. I think I saw a table with resistor values somewhere... must search :)

It is under section 6 in that document called "ASA", and i don't think it is a simple resistor but won't be very complicated also.
So would be cool if we can get some help and figure it out.

fafler

Jan 13, 2011
It is under section 6 in that document called "ASA", and i don't think it is a simple resistor but won't be very complicated also.
So would be cool if we can get some help and figure it out.

If it's not a resistor, then what do you suggest?

This thread seems to be the best piece of information on resistors, but none of them seems to be what we want.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

I've been digging a bit more in the datasheet, and the tables in chapter 6.5 and 5.3 gives us all we need. It seems to be nothing more than a 119 to 132 kΩ resistor and the phone will charge while still providing OTG functionality. I think i have a spare micro USB connector in a drawer somewhere, so i'll try this out ASAP :)

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

The PDF says:

3) Nominal values for these resistors are RID_A = 124k, RID_B = 68k and RID_C = 36.5k.

The Fun with resistors thread says:
Code:
RID_RESERVED_1,		/* 0 1 1 1 0 	28.7K		Reserved Accessory #1 */
RID_RESERVED_2,		/* 0 1 1 1 1 	34K 		Reserved Accessory #2 */
RID_RESERVED_3,		/* 1 0 0 0 0 	40.2K		Reserved Accessory #3 */
RID_RESERVED_4,		/* 1 0 0 0 1 	49.9K		Reserved Accessory #4 */
RID_RESERVED_5,		/* 1 0 0 1 0 	64.9K		Reserved Accessory #5 */
RID_AUD_DEV_TY_2,	/* 1 0 0 1 1 	80.07K		Audio Device Type 2 */
RID_PHONE_PWD_DEV,	/* 1 0 1 0 0 	102K		Phone Powered Device */
RID_TTY_CONVERTER,	/* 1 0 1 0 1 	121K		TTY Converter */
RID_UART_CABLE,		/* 1 0 1 1 0 	150K		UART Cable */

It's pretty close, 121 vs 124 k, 64.9 vs 68 and 34 k vs 36.5 k, and actually quite weird the ACA modes arent listened in the source. Is this wrong? Is the 124 k resistor going to trigger TTY converter mode, whatever that is, instead? I guess i can find the answers in the kernel logs when i try it out.

fduraibi

Mar 22, 2009
www.fadvisor.net
If it's not a resistor, then what do you suggest?

This thread seems to be the best piece of information on resistors, but none of them seems to be what we want.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

I've been digging a bit more in the datasheet, and the tables in chapter 6.5 and 5.3 gives us all we need. It seems to be nothing more than a 119 to 132 kΩ resistor and the phone will charge while still providing OTG functionality. I think i have a spare micro USB connector in a drawer somewhere, so i'll try this out ASAP :)

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

The PDF says:

3) Nominal values for these resistors are RID_A = 124k, RID_B = 68k and RID_C = 36.5k.

The Fun with resistors thread says:
Code:
RID_RESERVED_1,		/* 0 1 1 1 0 	28.7K		Reserved Accessory #1 */
RID_RESERVED_2,		/* 0 1 1 1 1 	34K 		Reserved Accessory #2 */
RID_RESERVED_3,		/* 1 0 0 0 0 	40.2K		Reserved Accessory #3 */
RID_RESERVED_4,		/* 1 0 0 0 1 	49.9K		Reserved Accessory #4 */
RID_RESERVED_5,		/* 1 0 0 1 0 	64.9K		Reserved Accessory #5 */
RID_AUD_DEV_TY_2,	/* 1 0 0 1 1 	80.07K		Audio Device Type 2 */
RID_PHONE_PWD_DEV,	/* 1 0 1 0 0 	102K		Phone Powered Device */
RID_TTY_CONVERTER,	/* 1 0 1 0 1 	121K		TTY Converter */
RID_UART_CABLE,		/* 1 0 1 1 0 	150K		UART Cable */

It's pretty close, 121 vs 124 k, 64.9 vs 68 and 34 k vs 36.5 k, and actually quite weird the ACA modes arent listened in the source. Is this wrong? Is the 124 k resistor going to trigger TTY converter mode, whatever that is, instead? I guess i can find the answers in the kernel logs when i try it out.

if you look at the pdf table 5-3 you will see the acceptable range:

RID_A = 119k ~ 132k (nominal is 124k)
RID_B = 65k ~ 72k (nominal is 68k) so 64.9k (from the other thread) is a bit below the range and i think it is saver to stick with the one suggested in the pdf
RID_C = 35k ~ 39k (nominal is 36.5k)

so we can use these resistors plus RID_FLOAT and RID_GND to switch between the modes of operation defined in the pdf table 6-2. So if we want the ASA to operate on more than one mode then I guess we will need some kind of a circuit to detect the attached devices in order to switch to the right RID. However, if we want a simple design for only 1 mode (or just as a prove of concept) then we can pick only 1 of them and have it hard wired to the OTG ID pin, (guessing again).

my only concern is what is going to happen if i hardwired only 1 mode but then had a different device setup, like no charger or more than 1 attached device (like if i used a hub and connected two flash drives)

i was able to connect a normal (un-powered) usb hub to my Galaxy Note using a normal OTG cable (ID=GND) and then i connected a wireless mouse dongle, wired keyboard and a 2GB flash drive in to the hub and my phone was able to provide enough power to all and i was using the mouse and keyboard while browsing files on the flash drive but everything failed as i plugged in a second flash drive (just to stress test it) since the phone couldn't provide enough current.
Maybe we can modify a powered hub to act as an ASA

by the way "fafler" did you get any results?

Last edited:

fafler

Jan 13, 2011
I haven't tried it out yet, as I haven't really been home. It has to wait to Saturday or Sunday.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

imileimile

Apr 23, 2010
Resen
OTG cable recognizes only usb drives

Anyone having this problem. When i connect mouse or keyboard it is not recognized at all, and everything works fine with usb drives. Even tried with self powered usb hub so power is not an issue.:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The most Micro USB to USB converters are not work if you want to use it for OTG converter, because the 4. pin of the micro usb plug is not connected!
    The most ebay and computer shop's converters like this!

If you want to use it for working OTG adapter you have to connect the micro usb connector 4. pin to GND (5. pin).
    Like this:

I made this mod on my adapter and it works!

First you have to open up the outter cover and carve the plastic around the micro usb pins. You can use multimeter to check the pinout.

After that solder the 4. pin to 5. pin with a piece of wire.

And finally glue back the outter cover.

Video:

So if you have not working adapter you can mod it, if you have suffice experience with electronic and proper tools.

Only do with your own risk!
    I buy a pair in Dealextreme.com

SKU 50774 o search OTG
    Can you please give me some advice on how connect this connector? B -> E?
    201110311109102.jpg

This might be late, but it might help someone else

if i am not wrong then the pins are like this:
    C: power (VBUS)
    D: USB 2.0 differential pair (D−)
    B: USB 2.0 differential pair (D+)
    E: USB OTG ID for identifying lines (The one not connected in your image)
    A: GND

so simply connect E with A and that should do it.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

----------------------------------------------------

Is it possible to add USB charging cable to USB-host cable? I want to use mouse\keyboard\flash and charge device in the same time.
    I also interested how to add power to USB-host cable for devices "High-power device connected".

thats excactly my question:
    is it possible to use otg cable with a trackball or mouse and at same time charge the S2?
    give power to usb mouse and charge S2 over a charger!?

it is not possible. usb host can be used one way not two ways.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Yes it is possible, and it can be used both ways.
    Read the Battery Charging Specification http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/batt_charging_1_1.zip

At the end of that document it says that you can make a docking station, where the charger will charge the phone and also provide power to the attached peripherals like keyboard, mouse and display.
    An USB hub with external power maybe ? I didn't tried this kind of setup, but it should work. I have a hub, but I don't have a OTG cable yet.