OTA vs RUU?

Search This thread

adam.kelly2

Apr 26, 2012
Olympia, WA
Are there any benefits of updating via an RUU versus an OTA?

Searched before making this thread. Didn't see anything. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

PillowMetal

Aug 18, 2010
Layton, UT
swaynesworld.net

An RUU is cleaner than an OTA; the latter only patches existing applications whereas the former installs them outright. Of course this is because an RUU also wipes your phone.

They also may be leftover files no longer used when you do an OTA, because it doesn't cleanup. If you do a hex compare of files and directories between the two methods, you will see differences.

I personally like to use RUU and get a clean start, especially when jumping from say JB to KK. I backup apps and setting with Titanium Backup first and restore later.

Reactions: adam.kelly2

adam.kelly2

Apr 26, 2012
Olympia, WA
An RUU is cleaner than an OTA; the latter only patches existing applications whereas the former installs them outright. Of course this is because an RUU also wipes your phone.

They also may be leftover files no longer used when you do an OTA, because it doesn't cleanup. If you do a hex compare of files and directories between the two methods, you will see differences.

I personally like to use RUU and get a clean start, especially when jumping from say JB to KK. I backup apps and setting with Titanium Backup first and restore later.

Thank you. I figured as much but didn't quite understand the basic differences between the two.

matinm90

Aug 12, 2011
two different entities

Though the guy above me is right. I wanted to make sure to point out what makes them different. An OTA is strictly an upgrade, where as an RUU contains the full software. And an RUU WILL erase everything on the device, whereas an OTA will not. Obviouslly for the case of those who do not root or anything like that an OTA is good enough. But for those that do root, and RUU may be the best way to upgrade the stock software. Hope made the differences clear, and I hope I didnt say anything redundant.

adam.kelly2

Apr 26, 2012
Olympia, WA
Though the guy above me is right. I wanted to make sure to point out what makes them different. An OTA is strictly an upgrade, where as an RUU contains the full software. And an RUU WILL erase everything on the device, whereas an OTA will not. Obviouslly for the case of those who do not root or anything like that an OTA is good enough. But for those that do root, and RUU may be the best way to upgrade the stock software. Hope made the differences clear, and I hope I didnt say anything redundant.

Thanks, and to make sure I understand this, would I be fair to say that an OTA would be like accepting the Windows 8.1 update when you already have Windows 8, where as an RUU would be like formatting your hard drive and doing a fresh install of Windows 8.1?

matinm90

Aug 12, 2011
Thanks, and to make sure I understand this, would I be fair to say that an OTA would be like accepting the Windows 8.1 update when you already have Windows 8, where as an RUU would be like formatting your hard drive and doing a fresh install of Windows 8.1?

Oh yeah I could have just said that lol. Yeah that's basically the difference. But you can't say one is better than the other. They both have their tradeoffs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

two different entities

Oh yeah I could have just said that lol. Yeah that's basically the difference. But you can't say one is better than the other. They both have their tradeoffs.