[APP] MMAppLauncher v1.0 - Full Start Menu Replacement (WM 6.5, 6.5.x)

Search This thread

Maximus.Mobile

Sep 3, 2010
Everett, WA
sites.google.com
MMAppLauncher is a full Start Menu and Settings replacement similar to Android. It does more than just replace your original, boring start menu. It keeps track of your most 20 recent run apps, as well as allowing you to save an app as favorite. Another unique feature that MMAL has to offer is the ability to run any process (similar to Run under Windows) with given arguments. On top of the cool features mentioned, MMAL also allows you to modify any shortcut name and icon of your choice with a few touches of your finger tip.

Features:
  • Full Start Menu replacement
  • Keep tracks of 20 recent run apps
  • Save apps as favorite for easy access
  • Run processes similar to Windows Run (supports arguments)
  • Full Settings replacement
Requirements & Supports:
  • .NET Compact Framework 3.5
  • Windows Mobile 6.x Professional
  • QVGA, VGA, WVGA, and Square Screen Support
  • Landscape Support
  • AppToDate Support
Version 1.0:
  • No limitation.

Last edited:

bazinga

Jul 31, 2010
Wow great! But would it be possible to integrate a black or darker background? The white is really bright :p

GadgetFreak

Jan 27, 2008
Waco
I'll be loading this tonight and will report any bugs. One question though, does it support folders? Thanks!

Alireza2n

Feb 11, 2010
GMT+3.5
Great Idea! I'll test this and send my feedback.
I'm a fan of all your apps bro! ;)
Nice job.
-------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
My Feedback:
Scrolling is smooth.
The idea of "Rounded gray boxes" is great.
The last tab does not work and app closes with "ArgumentNullException".

My Suggestions:
- Maybe implanting some kind of cache for shortcuts reduces the time when app starts on reboot.
- It would be nice to allow user to create groups or folders for apps and be able to organize them.
- For users with many application shortcuts a "Quick Search" function or an "alphabetical selector" (like the one in Manila contact manager) is really time-saving.
- "Skin" support will also be cool!

Last edited:

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
Looks like a decent implementation. Nice work. ;)
Will report back my experience with it.

Maximus.Mobile

Sep 3, 2010
Everett, WA
sites.google.com
Wow great! But would it be possible to integrate a black or darker background? The white is really bright :p

Yes, it's possible to have an option for dark or light theme similar to Windows Phone 7.

I'll be loading this tonight and will report any bugs. One question though, does it support folders? Thanks!

no it doesn't support folders. This is similar to Android all programs.

Great Idea! I'll test this and send my feedback.
I'm a fan of all your apps bro! ;)
Nice job.
-------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
My Feedback:
Scrolling is smooth.
The idea of "Rounded gray boxes" is great.
The last tab does not work and app closes with "ArgumentNullException".

My Suggestions:
- Maybe implanting some kind of cache for shortcuts reduces the time when app starts on reboot.
- It would be nice to allow user to create groups or folders for apps and be able to organize them.
- For users with many application shortcuts a "Quick Search" function or an "alphabetical selector" (like the one in Manila contact manager) is really time-saving.
- "Skin" support will also be cool!

Hmm that's strange for the ArgumentNullException. I've tested on stock rom and stock emulator 6.5 and 6.5.x. They work fine :confused:

I like the skin and cache suggestion. But when the app starts up it still needs to read from the cache to memory which still takes time.

You can add your apps to favorite to easier searching.

Does it disable the WM 6.5(.x) start menu?

There's an option to override the start menu. When it's on, clicking on the start menu will bring up MMAppLauncher. When it's off, windows original start menu will be shown.

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
There's an option to override the start menu. When it's on, clicking on the start menu will bring up MMAppLauncher. When it's off, windows original start menu will be shown.

This part is not working for me.
It overrode the Start Menu one time and then would no longer open after that.
Neither this app, or the WM Start Menu.
Although it's possible, that there may be a conflict with the new WM Start Menu softkey in CHT 2.0? Maybe something to look at anyhow.
Nice Beta app. otherwise. Also, not sure what the last icon on the bottom bar is(settings?), but it crashes with an exception for me.

WM 6.5.x
HTC Rhodium/TP2
and
HTC TP1

Last edited:

Maximus.Mobile

Sep 3, 2010
Everett, WA
sites.google.com
This part is not working for me.
It overrode the Start Menu one time and then would no longer open after that.
Neither this app, or the WM Start Menu.
Although it's possible, that there may be a conflict with the new WM Start Menu softkey in CHT 2.0? Maybe something to look at anyhow.
Nice Beta app. otherwise. Also, not sure what the last icon on the bottom bar is(settings?), but it crashes with an exception for me.

WM 6.5.x
HTC Rhodium/TP2
and
HTC TP1

The Start Menu might have some conflict with CHT. Also, the last button is Settings. It strange how it crashes as I've tested on WM 6.5 stock rom, 6.5 and 6.5.x emulator :confused: I'll look into it.

bigchrizzieboy

Sep 30, 2007
Near Amsterdam
Will test this one

The Start Menu might have some conflict with CHT. Also, the last button is Settings. It strange how it crashes as I've tested on WM 6.5 stock rom, 6.5 and 6.5.x emulator :confused: I'll look into it.

This looks SWEET:)
I'll try this program, looking for an good Start Menu alternative (since it eats so much RAM):cool:
My ROM: TouchPro2 Simplicity 21679 - 6.5.X with CHT installed (not cooked in)

My comment:
Played with it. After installing it seems to work pretty smooth.
It takes some time before all programs shows up but I think that's because my start menu folder is to full.
The start menu overide only works when the program is already active (process is open). It's posible to use AMEBA for this one.

CHT button settings that probaly solve your problem with CHT (i know the button is ugly, just to get the idea).
33cow8p.png
1sh7r8.png

The NETCF error, it comes when I play with the start menu, a soft-reset didn't help. I'm sure that NETCF is installed, because when I trying to install it says there's already a newer version installed. GOT ANY IDEA?
2h54p6o.png

Disabling the standard start menu:
This is all before i've installed the cab to disable the standard start-menu.
Installing the cab doesn't change anything, hard to tell if it free some RAM.
Afther that I enabled the Start Menu button (softkey) by adjusting the following registry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Bubble Tiles]
"TextModeEnabled"=dword:00000001
"HardwareStartKeyEnabled"=dword:00000000
"HardwareDoneKeyEnabled"=dword:00000000
When the buttons are visible again they don't have any function
After all that i've used AMEBA to start MMAppLauncher when I press the Start Menu and it works.
The start-menu hardwarekey is easy to adjust in the regular button settings.

After all this configuring/tweaking:
No matter if the program is started already or if i'm in CHT or not, MMAppLauncher will start when i hit the start button.

Hopefully this testing and adjusting helps you with this great app.

Last edited:

henrik.dk

Jun 20, 2008
Great app. Marked.
I hate microsoft 6.5 menu for decades.
is that just a launcher or will I get everything in Start menu into your app with the same
hierarchy?

sponge_worthy

May 11, 2007
I see you listened to my suggestion for the app. Great work! I will install it today.

I would say that reproducing the start menu/programs folders with all the subfolder navigation would make this app stand out from the crowd. I would guess that there are many out there like me that have too many apps installed to not have them organized in subfolders.

Also, maybe a setting for how many columns of icons to show- 3 or 4 or 5 or maybe even 6 for those with larger screens.

Great work though. I really like your apps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MMAppLauncher is a full Start Menu and Settings replacement similar to Android. It does more than just replace your original, boring start menu. It keeps track of your most 20 recent run apps, as well as allowing you to save an app as favorite. Another unique feature that MMAL has to offer is the ability to run any process (similar to Run under Windows) with given arguments. On top of the cool features mentioned, MMAL also allows you to modify any shortcut name and icon of your choice with a few touches of your finger tip.

Features:
    • Full Start Menu replacement
    • Keep tracks of 20 recent run apps
    • Save apps as favorite for easy access
    • Run processes similar to Windows Run (supports arguments)
    • Full Settings replacement
    Requirements & Supports:
    • .NET Compact Framework 3.5
    • Windows Mobile 6.x Professional
    • QVGA, VGA, WVGA, and Square Screen Support
    • Landscape Support
    • AppToDate Support
    Version 1.0:
    • No limitation.

Hi guys,

I've been really busy lately and don't have any times to work on this. However, I've decided to release this as freeware and will try to remove the time-bomb and upload with a new cab file. Please give me 1/2 days.

Thank you.
    Version 1.0 Released

Version 1.0 is now released. This is a full version without any limitation. ;)
    I have modified the cab file with these settings:

1. Added StartButton - this is hooking the StartMenu to MMAppLauncher.
    2. Added Link2CPL for making ans showing the Control Panel shortcuts.

After installation go to the Settings for MMAppLauncher and activate - "Load On Boot" and "Override Start Menu". Reboot your device.

You can always get the original Start Menu just by disabling the "Override Start Menu" option.
    Hello

I'm one small sugest. I'm French and I wonder if it'll be possible to make a translation in either the program or by an xml.

Thank you for advance