Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M - ArpegGioMod ROM

Search This thread

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
(Avis aux intéressés, j'ai parti une discussion en français sur Frandroid.)

Hello everyone,

Here's my ArpegGioMod ROM, for the Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M. Current (and final) version is 0.9
(ArpegGioMod has had over 1500 downloads! Thanks!)

Features:

• Rooted
  • Deodexed apps and framework. (Optional)
  • Working FM radio (remember, your headphones are the antenna!)
  • No power on sound.
  • Restored support for the normal Android bootanimation.zip format. Right now it's just running the "base" animation (with the green Android text). I'm open to suggestions/logos/proposals!
  • CRT screen off animation re-enabled, you do need to turn back animations on in the settings to see it.
  • ADW Launcher (I just used the "standalone" version and placed it in /system/app/, not the cleanest way, but it works, and leaves you the choice between that and Touchwiz Launcher)
  • Removed all Bell software, as well as some Samsung apps.

New in 0.6
  • Added options to the power button menu: Reboot (Normal), Reboot Recovery Mode and Reboot to Download Mode.
  • Car mode.

New in 0.7
  • Phone will not relock itself to Bell after doing a factory reset without a SIM card in the phone.
  • Changed the default browser homepage to Google instead of Bell's.

New in 0.8
  • Phone will not relock itself to Bell after doing a factory reset without a SIM card in the phone. (Turns out I mixed up some files and uploaded a version with Bell apps left in the CSC folder, along with the unmodified customer.xml. Not an issue, until someone did a factory reset.)
  • Unsecure kernel. So now, adb remount and push work. adb shell is permanently root.

New in 0.9
  • CWM installation instead of Odin
  • Using Phiexz's customized stock ROM kernel, with support for both ext4 and RFS partitions. The kernel also includes different wifi drivers, and they work for me!
  • Updated superuser apps (3.0.7) and binaries (3.0.3.2). The upgrade of su from 3.0.3 to 3.0.3.2 seems to have fixed whatever caused the crashes.
  • Reodexed, this seems to provide better performance.
  • Removed the annoying "Full charge" notification.
  • Enabled native SIP functionality. (Untested.)
  • Removed the "Android Tips" widget.
  • Added the "Roboto" FlipFont apk, found on XDA.
  • No-frills CPU Control 1.20

Google Application updates:
  • Android Market 3.4.4
  • Gmail 2.3.5.2
  • Google Maps 6.3.0
  • Google Search 1.3.3.247963
  • Street View 1.7.1.0
  • Voice Search 2.1.4
  • YouTube 2.3.4

To do:

• Implement BLN by patching /system/framework/services.jar

Things I will not do. (Or at least, not without significant assistance from those requesting it.)

• Additional languages.

Files required to install 0.9:

Galaxy Gio ext4 converter
Backup RFS User Data (Optional)
Restore User Data to ext4 (Optional)
ROM Zip file: ArpegGioMod 0.9 MD5 hash: 010DA7C4542537443D2DD2E9BDBAFC43
Re-odex script (Optional)

Short Version 0.9 Installation instructions:

1. If you're upgrading from a stock ROM or ArpegGioMod 0.8: Backup User Data Script
    (You'll probably want to delete the two tar.gz files remaining on your SD card afterwards.)
  2. As required: format from RFS to ext4.
  3. If you're upgrading from a stock ROM or ArpegGioMod 0.8: Restore User Data Script
  4. Flash ROM zip
  5. Re-odex as required

Detailed Version 0.9 Installation instructions:
(Or, the "this is my first time trying this out and frankly I'm a little overwhelmed with information" version.)

I'm going to start this one with a brand new, freshly out of the box Gio. I will however assume that you already have a working Odin and Android SDK install. Plenty of tutorials out there for both. (See links below for the correct Odin version.)

1. Copy the zip files to your MicroSD card.
  2. Reboot your phone in Download Mode. (Hold Volume Down + Home + Power. There will be a pink warning screen. Press Volume Up.)
  3. Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery with Odin.
  4. Reboot the phone into Recovery Mode. (adb reboot recovery, or Home + Power)
  5. "install zip from sdcard"
  6. "choose zip from sdcard"
  7. Install the ext4 converter zip.
  8. Install the ROM zip.
  9. Install the Re-odex script zip.
  10. Reboot
  11. Optional: adb shell, then dd if=/dev/block/bml5 of=/sdcard/bml5 bs=4096 to get your unlock code as per Tweakradje's unlock tutorial.
  12. Enjoy!

Version 0.8 Installation instructions:

Un7zip and flash with Odin.
I strongly suggest you do a factory reflash and reset if you're flashing from something other than stock or ArpegGioMod.

Version 0.8: http://www.mediafire.com/?nxp0ce21909c676 7-Zip file MD5 hash: 6CEE73812AF9D30189A5F808CE0A7DEA
(Thanks Koodiifin!)

Tools and additional information:

CWM 5.0.2.7-based recovery, compiled for the 5660 by Phiexz, modified for the 5660M by Peteragent5: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1493932

"Supersafe" bml5 unlock method by Tweakradje, originally meant for the GT-I5500, should also work with little or no modifications for the 5660M: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=828534

My other thread from which all of this started: Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660 and GT-S5660M Partition Mapping This thread contains links to a rooted, but otherwise completely stock ROM backup I made prior to starting my work on ArpegGioMod.

Older Clockworkmod-based recovery, meant for the Europe/Asia 5660, but working fine on the 5660M: http://particle.blurringexistence.net/samsung-gt-s5660/clockworkmod-recovery

Tutorial on flashing with Odin, with link for the appropriate version for our phone.

Goodbye,

Darkshado

Last edited:

hardran3

Sep 15, 2011
Just installed ArpegGio on my Virgin Mobile 5660M and it seems to be working great. 3G wifi and FM are working, plus I am glad to be rid of a bunch of carrier garbage apps. Thanks Darkshado I can't wait to see a2sd in there. Could I install it the manual way on this FW?

OT:
Thanks too Darkshado for all your tips for 5660M owners. I got mine 3 days ago, rooted and unlocked on day 2, flashed your FW on day 3. Reminds me of my days making custom OS for my blackberry :)

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
Just installed ArpegGio on my Virgin Mobile 5660M and it seems to be working great. 3G wifi and FM are working, plus I am glad to be rid of a bunch of carrier garbage apps. Thanks Darkshado I can't wait to see a2sd in there. Could I install it the manual way on this FW?

If you mean by modifying your boot.img ramdisk, yes. That's what I've been unable to do. I suspect an outdated/incompatible mkbootimg binary, and can't download the source make a new one as of writing this since kernel.org is still down.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could also try flashing an Euro 5660 boot.img. But I can't guarantee there won't be other issues.

OT:
Thanks too Darkshado for all your tips for 5660M owners. I got mine 3 days ago, rooted and unlocked on day 2, flashed your FW on day 3. Reminds me of my days making custom OS for my blackberry :)

You're welcome. :D

Last edited:

yuanw

Oct 15, 2007
Hi, This is going to be my first flash for my S5660M. I've a small question for it. What mode should I choose in ODIN? Do I need to care about the ops file?

Sorry for my newbie question. Thank you.

W

WillingMagic

You have to rebuild kernel with ext support. To create system.rfs or other *.rfs you have to type in console
Code:
 mkfs.ext4 -O ^huge_file system.rfs
or it won`t boot. Of course you need modify initscripts. You can change from rfs to ext4 and it should work.

Last edited:

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
My problem is that due to the troubles at kernel.org I haven't been able to download the AOSP source yet.

I already suspected it wouldn't work with the stock kernel boot.img before trying.

For the conversion, I used a modified Galaxy Tab ext4 conversion update with the mkfs binaries included. That worked like a charm, CWM mounted the partitions, no questions asked.

I'll have to wait until an official AOSP repo comes back online to take this further.

Goodbye,

Darkshado

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Last edited:
W

WillingMagic

It will work with stock kernel, but you need change build config.

theboo23

Apr 19, 2011
Montreal
Hi

Just installed your rom this sunday... It work nice and no problem!

Was wondering, is the factory reset from the cwm is better than the one within the phone app? And or is the same?

And keep up the good work it is really appreciated

Thx Dark!

Sent from my GT-S5660M using XDA App

Hello everyone,

New in 0.6

[*]Added options to the power button menu: Reboot (Normal), Reboot Recovery Mode and Reboot to Download Mode.
[*]Car mode.
[/LIST]

Goodbye,

Darkshado

Nice job, very nice.

Is it duable to create that option in a aditional zipfile.
That you can flash it in recoverymode with a other rom????

You would make me very happy with that.

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
You have to modify framework-res.apk framework.jar and android.policy.jar for this to work, and it requires editing Smali code.

I did it by loosely following guides meant for the I9000 found here.

You could always push those files from my ROM to give it a try like that, but I wouldn't count on the framework from the 5660M to be fully compatible with the 5660 (which I understand you have from some of your other posts).

Reactions: bdasmith

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
Question: has anyone else managed to re-Sim-lock their phone?

It's happened to me inadvertently, twice. :mad: Not knowing why on Earth the phone did this, I decided to get to the bottom of things.

The unlock code from bml5 still works, but I find this annoying to say the least.

I found some strings in the CSC files (customer.xml to be exact) that seemed to tell the phone what network to lock itself to.

I managed to make the phone relock itself by going into recovery, wiping user data, and rebooting the phone without a SIM card in. Checking lock status with *#7465625# shows Network Lock [ON]

I turned off the phone, put a foreign SIM back in, unlocked the phone again, and re-wiped user data, leaving the non-Bell SIM in for the first boot. No relock.

I relocked the phone as above. Rebooted into recovery and pushed modified customer.xml files, without the network lock strings, to my /system/csc/ and /system/csc/BMC/system/csc/ directories. No relock!

Those modified CSC files are going to be included in ArpegGioMod from now on.

Goodbye,

Darkshado

You have to modify framework-res.apk framework.jar and android.policy.jar for this to work, and it requires editing Smali code.

I did it by loosely following guides meant for the I9000 found here.

You could always push those files from my ROM to give it a try like that, but I wouldn't count on the framework from the 5660M to be fully compatible with the 5660 (which I understand you have from some of your other posts).

Hi, thx for the reply
Yes i have the 5660 ( no M ;) ).
But i don't have a linux machine........
And i need that to compile those files.
I supose a linux-live dristri doesn't ad up for the job :(

theboo23

Apr 19, 2011
Montreal
Hi, thx for the reply
Yes i have the 5660 ( no M ;) ).
But i don't have a linux machine........
And i need that to compile those files.
I supose a linux-live dristri doesn't ad up for the job :(

I think a live distro would work fine... Me I installed Vmware player (free) to run a virtual ubuntu machine and it work fine for editing some of the the tar file... so a live distro would even be better i'm sure!

Last edited:

theboo23

Apr 19, 2011
Montreal
I unlocked with safe bml5 trick and wiped a couple of time but i did not put back a non bell sim since then... So i dont really know...

Did you use some script or some like that in you Rom? Because I got like almost 400-500 more point on antutu benchmark.... Nice :)

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
theboo23, Amadeus01: Practically all of my ROM work has been done under Windows so far!

You need:
  • Java JDK
  • Android SDK
  • apktool
  • Cygwin
  • A hex editor (I've used Frhed so far)
  • Notepad++ (Free, open source, tons of features: syntax highlighting and Unix line ending support to name a few)
  • (Optional) A program that can open FAT format image files such as MagicISO, to extract files from RFS partition images.
  • (Optional) xUltimate, to simplify deodexing a great deal.
  • (Optional) 7-Zip

I have installed Ubuntu (on an external USB drive with Wubi and Grub4DOS) to attempt boot.img and kernel modifications, and to build from AOSP/CyanogenMod source.

However, kernel.org, which hosts AOSP repositories, is still down almost three weeks after having been hacked. So those parts of my project have been stalled in the meantime as I hadn't downloaded the source beforehand.

theboo23: There have been multiple reports of deodexing increasing performance, that might explain the points increase on the benchmark. To be frank, I don't bother with them unless I have something really specific to test.

Goodbye,

Darkshado

Last edited:

stfn74

Jul 26, 2010
Those modified CSC files are going to be included in ArpegGioMod from now on.
By "from now on" I suppose you mean ver 0.7 included which is also on the changelog for it. However, it's exaclty after I flashed 0.7 (from 0.6 and stock before that) that my phone re-locked again and I had to use the unlock code (which I retreived while ago using bml5 method and still keep). I wiped before flashing 0.6 on top of stock, but did now wipe before flashing 0.7 on top of 0.6.

By the way, I knew already that at one point I will need my unlock code again. Having unlocked 6 or 7 5660Ms in the last week I have noticed that, once unlocked for a network (say, Fido) and you put a different SIM (Chatr), it gets locked again! Not only that, if you put the Fido SIM back, it is still locked. You have to enter the unlock code again, and luckily it's always the same. So, I resorted to writing down the code on the back of the phone under the back plate for further reference :)

And a couple of questions: your ROM has only one file/partition in it - system.rfs - and apparently this is the only thing that it replaces, everything else remains stock. One other custom ROM available on this site contains two files in the .tar - system.rfs and boot.img.
Q1: will it be safe to flash that other ROM on a 5660M having in mind it only replaces those two files/partitions? I know you already answered this before, just being extra cautious
Q2: if I want to return to ArpegGioMod after that, how do I proceed? Where do I get the boot.img from? Posible answer here: I have made a full backup via CWM of the stock ROM. It contains boot.img. Can I insert it in your .tar and flash and expect to get the same as flashing ArpegGioMod directly on stock?
Q3: if I get the system.img (renamed to system.frs) and boot.img from the SWM backup, put them in a .tar and flash, will that give me stock phone?

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
By "from now on" I suppose you mean ver 0.7 included which is also on the changelog for it. However, it's exaclty after I flashed 0.7 (from 0.6 and stock before that) that my phone re-locked again and I had to use the unlock code (which I retreived while ago using bml5 method and still keep). I wiped before flashing 0.6 on top of stock, but did now wipe before flashing 0.7 on top of 0.6.

I tried a couple more wipes and SIM swaps (T-Mobile USA, Koodo and Telna) with no relock occurring, so I hate to say, but I'm a bit stumped if there's something else than the CSC files causing this.

By the way, I knew already that at one point I will need my unlock code again. Having unlocked 6 or 7 5660Ms in the last week I have noticed that, once unlocked for a network (say, Fido) and you put a different SIM (Chatr), it gets locked again! Not only that, if you put the Fido SIM back, it is still locked. You have to enter the unlock code again, and luckily it's always the same. So, I resorted to writing down the code on the back of the phone under the back plate for further reference :)

I take it you work at a Rogers/Fido kiosk or store right? You're probably going to get more data on this than I ever will. I too wrote my code in the battery door just in case after it relocked a second time.

Q1: will it be safe to flash that other ROM on a 5660M having in mind it only replaces those two files/partitions? I know you already answered this before, just being extra cautious

Should be safe, if the boot.img is meant for the Euro 5660, you could encounter some bugs. I haven't tested those boot partitions and kernels.

Q2: if I want to return to ArpegGioMod after that, how do I proceed? Where do I get the boot.img from? Posible answer here: I have made a full backup via CWM of the stock ROM. It contains boot.img. Can I insert it in your .tar and flash and expect to get the same as flashing ArpegGioMod directly on stock?

You could just restore that nandroid backup.

Otherwise, tarring the boot.img with Cygwin and flashing with Odin should work. Then flash ArpegGioMod. Or make a single tar file with both partitions in Cygwin.

Here's a "universal" command: tar -H ustar -c amss arm11boot mibib oemsbl qcsbl boot.img recovery.img csc.rfs system.rfs data.rfs efs.rfs > GT-S5660M_MUGKG3.tar

I put it in a text file with the .sh extension, in cygwin/bin/ making it a command that can be invoked directly. (It's actually part of a set of batch files I've made to automate the copy and preparation of ArpegGioMod updates.)

Q3: if I get the system.img (renamed to system.frs) and boot.img from the SWM backup, put them in a .tar and flash, will that give me stock phone?

No reason it shouldn't.

Last edited:

stfn74

Jul 26, 2010
I take it you work at a Rogers/Fido kiosk or store right?
No, I'm just an user, my job has nothing to do with mobile business. It's just Futureshop had a great deal on 5660Ms last week and half of my family and friends got one :) I was the first to root and unlock mine so... had to do it with everybody else's. I'm playing with custom ROM flashing now and want to make sure I got everything right, because I suspect I will be doing it number of times.

So I'm using the opportunity to say "Thank you!" for your work!

chairsz

Aug 31, 2011
Darkside
i used this rom with m 5660m and i still got wifi problems. wont turn correctly. im seeing you mention about ops file and boot img modding.dont kno how to do that

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (Avis aux intéressés, j'ai parti une discussion en français sur Frandroid.)

Hello everyone,

Here's my ArpegGioMod ROM, for the Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M. Current (and final) version is 0.9
    (ArpegGioMod has had over 1500 downloads! Thanks!)

Features:

• Rooted
    • Deodexed apps and framework. (Optional)
    • Working FM radio (remember, your headphones are the antenna!)
    • No power on sound.
    • Restored support for the normal Android bootanimation.zip format. Right now it's just running the "base" animation (with the green Android text). I'm open to suggestions/logos/proposals!
    • CRT screen off animation re-enabled, you do need to turn back animations on in the settings to see it.
    • ADW Launcher (I just used the "standalone" version and placed it in /system/app/, not the cleanest way, but it works, and leaves you the choice between that and Touchwiz Launcher)
    • Removed all Bell software, as well as some Samsung apps.

New in 0.6
    • Added options to the power button menu: Reboot (Normal), Reboot Recovery Mode and Reboot to Download Mode.
    • Car mode.

New in 0.7
    • Phone will not relock itself to Bell after doing a factory reset without a SIM card in the phone.
    • Changed the default browser homepage to Google instead of Bell's.

New in 0.8
    • Phone will not relock itself to Bell after doing a factory reset without a SIM card in the phone. (Turns out I mixed up some files and uploaded a version with Bell apps left in the CSC folder, along with the unmodified customer.xml. Not an issue, until someone did a factory reset.)
    • Unsecure kernel. So now, adb remount and push work. adb shell is permanently root.

New in 0.9
    • CWM installation instead of Odin
    • Using Phiexz's customized stock ROM kernel, with support for both ext4 and RFS partitions. The kernel also includes different wifi drivers, and they work for me!
    • Updated superuser apps (3.0.7) and binaries (3.0.3.2). The upgrade of su from 3.0.3 to 3.0.3.2 seems to have fixed whatever caused the crashes.
    • Reodexed, this seems to provide better performance.
    • Removed the annoying "Full charge" notification.
    • Enabled native SIP functionality. (Untested.)
    • Removed the "Android Tips" widget.
    • Added the "Roboto" FlipFont apk, found on XDA.
    • No-frills CPU Control 1.20

Google Application updates:
    • Android Market 3.4.4
    • Gmail 2.3.5.2
    • Google Maps 6.3.0
    • Google Search 1.3.3.247963
    • Street View 1.7.1.0
    • Voice Search 2.1.4
    • YouTube 2.3.4

To do:

• Implement BLN by patching /system/framework/services.jar

Things I will not do. (Or at least, not without significant assistance from those requesting it.)

• Additional languages.

Files required to install 0.9:

Galaxy Gio ext4 converter
    Backup RFS User Data (Optional)
    Restore User Data to ext4 (Optional)
    ROM Zip file: ArpegGioMod 0.9 MD5 hash: 010DA7C4542537443D2DD2E9BDBAFC43
    Re-odex script (Optional)

Short Version 0.9 Installation instructions:

1. If you're upgrading from a stock ROM or ArpegGioMod 0.8: Backup User Data Script
      (You'll probably want to delete the two tar.gz files remaining on your SD card afterwards.)
    2. As required: format from RFS to ext4.
    3. If you're upgrading from a stock ROM or ArpegGioMod 0.8: Restore User Data Script
    4. Flash ROM zip
    5. Re-odex as required

Detailed Version 0.9 Installation instructions:
    (Or, the "this is my first time trying this out and frankly I'm a little overwhelmed with information" version.)

I'm going to start this one with a brand new, freshly out of the box Gio. I will however assume that you already have a working Odin and Android SDK install. Plenty of tutorials out there for both. (See links below for the correct Odin version.)

1. Copy the zip files to your MicroSD card.
    2. Reboot your phone in Download Mode. (Hold Volume Down + Home + Power. There will be a pink warning screen. Press Volume Up.)
    3. Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery with Odin.
    4. Reboot the phone into Recovery Mode. (adb reboot recovery, or Home + Power)
    5. "install zip from sdcard"
    6. "choose zip from sdcard"
    7. Install the ext4 converter zip.
    8. Install the ROM zip.
    9. Install the Re-odex script zip.
    10. Reboot
    11. Optional: adb shell, then dd if=/dev/block/bml5 of=/sdcard/bml5 bs=4096 to get your unlock code as per Tweakradje's unlock tutorial.
    12. Enjoy!

Version 0.8 Installation instructions:

Un7zip and flash with Odin.
    I strongly suggest you do a factory reflash and reset if you're flashing from something other than stock or ArpegGioMod.

Version 0.8: http://www.mediafire.com/?nxp0ce21909c676 7-Zip file MD5 hash: 6CEE73812AF9D30189A5F808CE0A7DEA
    (Thanks Koodiifin!)

Tools and additional information:

CWM 5.0.2.7-based recovery, compiled for the 5660 by Phiexz, modified for the 5660M by Peteragent5: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1493932

"Supersafe" bml5 unlock method by Tweakradje, originally meant for the GT-I5500, should also work with little or no modifications for the 5660M: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=828534

My other thread from which all of this started: Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660 and GT-S5660M Partition Mapping This thread contains links to a rooted, but otherwise completely stock ROM backup I made prior to starting my work on ArpegGioMod.

Older Clockworkmod-based recovery, meant for the Europe/Asia 5660, but working fine on the 5660M: http://particle.blurringexistence.net/samsung-gt-s5660/clockworkmod-recovery

Tutorial on flashing with Odin, with link for the appropriate version for our phone.

Goodbye,

Darkshado
    Just deodexed.

Now, you could always take the ROM in its deodexed form, theme it and then reodex it.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

It may be good to mention that Titanium Backup Pro also has functions to odex and deodex built-in.

If you mean by modifying your boot.img ramdisk, yes. That's what I've been unable to do. I suspect an outdated/incompatible mkbootimg binary, and can't download the source make a new one as of writing this since kernel.org is still down.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could also try flashing an Euro 5660 boot.img. But I can't guarantee there won't be other issues.

OT:

You're welcome. :D
    My problem is that due to the troubles at kernel.org I haven't been able to download the AOSP source yet.

I already suspected it wouldn't work with the stock kernel boot.img before trying.

For the conversion, I used a modified Galaxy Tab ext4 conversion update with the mkfs binaries included. That worked like a charm, CWM mounted the partitions, no questions asked.

I'll have to wait until an official AOSP repo comes back online to take this further.

Goodbye,

Darkshado

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App
    will the canadian s5660m ever have cm7? That'd be a treat!

hey im currently running cm7.1 rc3.0 with my bell gio unlocked and rooted. been using it for the last few weeks and theres some hiccups here and there but overall its definately a step or 4 up from stock and to me its better for what i need it to do than arpegio mod.
    my system internal memory is 187mb right as im typing this... near impossible...as user memory is i think 178...
    :D:eek: