S4 shutter really slow?

Search This thread

an_xda

Apr 23, 2012
I noticed this phone has very horrible low-light performance (super blurry photos) with or without anti-shake enabled (I keep it off now). Night mode does help a LOT but I am wondering if anyone knows why this camera is so bad? Not trolling when I compare it to the iPhone 4, 5, HTC One X, and HTC One to the S4 that the former are so much better... Maybe Samsung phones just do not have the hardware to produce decent photos?

I do have minor shake in my hand but it was never an issue with any of the other phones I mentioned.

Anyone else experience the same issue (and yes, I have removed the plastic surrounding the lens)?

bennyboy78

Nov 9, 2011
It's the 13 MP, and the phones tiny sensor. Not trolling but that little sensor has to do a lot of work. Also, the HTC one has a larger sensor

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reactions: an_xda

Blue1k

Feb 8, 2008
I shoot mainly in sports mode. Took this today of my never motionless daughter. In low light I just use my Sony NEX3N. The S4 struggles in lower light because of the slow shutter algorithm. Nexus 5 was much better at focusing but much noisier as the devise just ramped to a high iso. So it's a trade off. Samsung went for the lower noise option which increases shutter time.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1390805266774.jpg
    1390805266774.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: an_xda

an_xda

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah I am no camera guru, it is a given the HTC One would perform better in low-light compared to the S4, cannot say I am surprised, I was just shocked at how bad performance really was. I don't have much chance to shoot during the day since well, I am working. We'll see how my summer shots come out, for now I guess I will keep it in night mode during the evenings.

Blue1k

Feb 8, 2008
Night mode just boosts iso and runs a noise reduction algorithm. You are better off shooting in sports

The other thing that lowers shutter speed is enabling stabilization mode.

an_xda

Apr 23, 2012
Thank you, I'll change it and see how photos turn out. Is there a way to default the shooting mode upon opening the camera app? It seems to default back to auto all the time.

Blue1k

Feb 8, 2008
I'm running MDOB rom and it saves the camera settings :)

an_xda

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah, night mode or sports mode I have concluded this camera is horrible compared to even previous generation cameras... I should have known better when the Samsung Galaxy Nexus had a horrible camera that not much would change...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's the 13 MP, and the phones tiny sensor. Not trolling but that little sensor has to do a lot of work. Also, the HTC one has a larger sensor

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    I shoot mainly in sports mode. Took this today of my never motionless daughter. In low light I just use my Sony NEX3N. The S4 struggles in lower light because of the slow shutter algorithm. Nexus 5 was much better at focusing but much noisier as the devise just ramped to a high iso. So it's a trade off. Samsung went for the lower noise option which increases shutter time.