Fire TV software updated released

Search This thread

fireTVnews.com

Jun 6, 2014
www.fireTVnews.com
The Verge has reported that a "narrow" release of the next software update has started today. I know everyone here probably has it blocked, but let us know if you get any indication of the update.

More info here.

UPDATE: Amazon is now saying the update will be released next week.

Last edited:

ugabuga

Jul 19, 2008
Wonder if this update blocks root... guess we will find out soon enough...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

hazard666

Jul 19, 2010
Ohio
Yeah, I'd like to know this as well. My Fire TV is out for delivery. Can't wait to mess with it.

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
Also has the music baked in, and free time. Can apparently search by price.

As long as sideloading still works I may just go for it.

I bought the box was to be able to view Prime video content as well as local media and Netflix. Root is nice to have, but for me losing access to Prime video means the box is not doing what I bought it for. Of course, so is losing XBMC, so if sideloading breaks the box goes back and I probably pick up a TV that I can stream to via Bubble as well as use for NF and Prime - or I reconnect my WDTVLIVE and hope my bluray player eventually gets Prime. It just got the Digital Concert Hall from the Berlin Philharmonic, and that's a great, if expensive, service.

I had paid google apps working without root after sideloading enough of the google stuff to get login working.

If the update's mandatory for Prime viewing, I update. If it breaks xbmc, I return.

alwaysbless

Nov 24, 2012
San Diego
If it is even the same exploit. This update has been coming for awhile so maybe it will just be the update they have been working on.

Yea thats wht im saying this is almost certainly an update they have had on their road map for a while. Only potential problem I can see if towelroot use the same exploits that jcase already submitted to amazon / qualcomm for patching (he mentioned a few weeks back that a security update was coming very soon).

wunderdrug

Jun 5, 2014
A weeks time to close a root exploit that just came out over the weekend? I doubt their devs will be able to squeeze that in but maybe.

Isn't this exploit the same as the root exploit for the Samsung S5? If so, this would make it an Android/ASOP issue, no? This could impact the time it takes for a fix to be made and trickled down to different implementations.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
The towelroot exploit was a kernel bug that was disclosed at the beginning of the month and has been fixed in the kernel since the disclosure.

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
The towelroot exploit was a kernel bug that was disclosed at the beginning of the month and has been fixed in the kernel since the disclosure.

Sure, but did Amazon have time to get that fix tested / do they have time to get that fix tested if they're releasing an update this week? Very hard to say - depends on them realizing that the Linux kernel vulnerability to a local privilege escalation meant their device was trivially rootable and having the development team chops to patch the bug themselves rather than waiting for the kernel maintainers to address it and release the source code for the fix.

I suspect that Amazon's not at the top of Google's list for private code releases :)

As far as the update goes: it's possible that Amazon will, at some point, stop permitting access to their content from devices running code at or below release X.

I don't know their history on this sort of thing - do the Kindle Fire devices stop having access to reading material if they get too far behind in updates?

Last edited:

Madmox2000

Feb 19, 2013
fire tv prime broken with root

I imagine Prime video will still work...right?
It's broken for me.
I rooted and lost amazon video right away. get player error.
Trying to find anybody that claims to have prime video working with rooted box, no luck.
I am thinking about unrooting now as xbmc is good, but I have been using plex for years and it is the cleanest interface for my purposes.
Anyone have prime working with root?

KarlP

Mar 1, 2011
It's broken for me.
Trying to find anybody that claims to have prime video working with rooted box, no luck.
I am thinking about unrooting now as xbmc is good, but I have been using plex for years and it is the cleanest interface for my purposes.

Just watched Mad Max from prime... Launched KFTV Launcher from XBMC set as my default launcher on a rooted AFTV... I'm on the latest root able firmware.

kairnage

Aug 17, 2011
It's broken for me.

2 FTV with working Prime video on the original installed firmware and the last rootable update. Just got done watching 1st season of Stargate.

dbdoshi

Jul 23, 2014
Try shutting down XBMC/Netflix and try the prime video. Or do a full shutdown and try it first up before doing anything else. I have a movie paused on XBMC and tried a prime video and I got that error. Shut down XBMC and it started working fine again.

Not sure if the XBMC launcher messes up prime streaming due to the problem I listed above.

Top Liked Posts