Working Google Wallet for Sprint GNote 2!

Search This thread

jamesey

Aug 1, 2006
My installation of google wallet worked for one boot, and then stopped working after that and won't let me back in the wallet app. So is there a way to wipe the secure element without going in wallet app?

You can reset the app by logging into googke wallet through your computer and click devices then disable. It does not fix secure element not responding error

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

lennykravitz2004

Feb 21, 2012
Where'd you go to high school?
I have a quick question. I have the old Google wallet patch (r87) on my phone and I just want to get rid of it altogether. Can I just restore to my previous backup without (without gw) and be done with it or do I have to manually delete it? Thanks in advance!

Im on the regular ljc rooted stock rom if that matters. :eek:

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

From what I've read, go into Wallet on the phone FIRST, "Reset Google Wallet App" in Wallet settings on phone, then uninstall Wallet. I realize this doesn't really help those with the SE error or FC's, but for those who still can access the app and want to uninstall, do a quick search on "uninstall Google Wallet", and make sure you read up on this.

My installation of google wallet worked for one boot, and then stopped working after that and won't let me back in the wallet app. So is there a way to wipe the secure element without going in wallet app?

I had the same problem on my first Note II, and your question/issue seems to be the "$200 Asurion Question", at least that's how it turned out for me. I was never able to find anything on fixing the "Unfortunately Google Wallet has stopped responding" error and FC. That's the point I tried (what turned out to be) a fatal reset on my phone, which in turn gave me the fatal "Secure Element" error. All that was after trying any/all of my nandroid backups too.

Hopefully some of this helps somebody else avoid my issues and also avoid the $200 replacement fee (assuming you also have the Protection Plan).

Last edited:
Reactions: babiegurl36

KEYofR

Jun 14, 2010
I've factory reset snd flashed new roms and nandroids several times without uninstalling or resetting wallet. Most of the time wallet will make me set up again the first time I run it after a new flash but I've never done it manually before flashing or resetting. It still works fine.

Whatever is killing the secure elements, it's not that simple and we don't know what it is yet.

It may not *hurt* to clear wallet before any major changes, but it's probably a false sense of security to simply say you have to do that to avoid problems. In fact, it may hurt. The clearing operation may be a slightly risky one vs simply leaving it alone. We just don't know yet.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Seems like the obvious answer is stop building this easily destroyable part into $700 devices permanently. If it can be so easily destroyed, then duh it should be removable and replaceable, either by itself or as part of something else like battery or battery cover.

If that makes the battery too special and too expensive to manufacture, then maybe the battery cover.

Or maybe just make the chip have a special erase-only mode that doesn't require encryption. Gee that sounds like a no-brainer I would have said on day one. Too bad I wasn't consulted :)

babiegurl36

Dec 11, 2012
Chicago
I'm not getting the secure element error. I just want to uninstall it from my stock rooted phone. I thought if I flashed my backup (the one I have before installing GW), I would be done and ok. Is it safe to do that since I still have the r87 one installed and it no longer works anyway?

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

From what I've read, go into Wallet on the phone FIRST, "Reset Google Wallet App" in Wallet settings on phone, then uninstall Wallet. I realize this doesn't really help those with the SE error or FC's, but for those who still can access the app and want to uninstall, do a quick search on "uninstall Google Wallet", and make sure you read up on this.

Thanks for the reply but since my version of Google wallet is outdated, the app wont let me do anything other than update it. I just want to get it off of my phone without getting this error that others have been receiving. Can I really log onto my computer and disable it that way then do a restore of my backup? I'm not trying to do a factory reset. I just want to go back to my previous backup that I had before installing GW.

Last edited:

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
I think I read every thread and there never was a fix despite being over a year for some models. Google needs to step up and remote reset SE. Apparently I am sol :( Unfortunately it's still being used.

Sorry to hear it.

So what should I do to protect myself when flashing a new ROM? what exactly should I he wiping?

jamesey

Aug 1, 2006
I've factory reset snd flashed new roms and nandroids several times without uninstalling or resetting wallet. Most of the time wallet will make me set up again the first time I run it after a new flash but I've never done it manually before flashing or resetting. It still works fine.

Whatever is killing the secure elements, it's not that simple and we don't know what it is yet.

It may not *hurt* to clear wallet before any major changes, but it's probably a false sense of security to simply say you have to do that to avoid problems. In fact, it may hurt. The clearing operation may be a slightly risky one vs simply leaving it alone. We just don't know yet.

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Seems like the obvious answer is stop building this easily destroyable part into $700 devices permanently. If it can be so easily destroyed, then duh it should be removable and replaceable, either by itself or as part of something else like battery or battery cover.

If that makes the battery too special and too expensive to manufacture, then maybe the battery cover.

Or maybe just make the chip have a special erase-only mode that doesn't require encryption. Gee that sounds like a no-brainer I would have said on day one. Too bad I wasn't consulted :)

I couldn't agree more on both accounts and that is why I tried my spare cover in hopes they learned their lesson from the Galaxy Nexus SE Bricks and put the SE, NFC, and antenna in the cover. I think it's obvious Google can clear it, but it may take years before they put out a fix if ever. You would think Samsung would say "Hey stop making us replace boards and remotely clear the SE for these people". I'm debating whether to contact Samsung for RMA. I have a feeling they'll just say it's not supported in the Note 2.

For the record i made several purchases using GW. I am on the same rom. Haven't flashed anything since I started using GW. Now I get that error. Changing battery temporarily is all I did. I think it was a fluke incident of hardware breakage of the chip. I very much agree clearing or not before flashing makes no difference. If it's going to break it will break when it's ready to break. GW team says it's a rare occurance.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Sorry to hear it.

So what should I do to protect myself when flashing a new ROM? what exactly should I he wiping?

People claim it's safer if you go into the GW app and use the reset option from within the app before you flash a ROM. I didn't flash a ROM and mine broke so i'm not believing it prevents anything ;) Pleny of users factory reset and flash without touching GW and it works just fine.

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
So I just flashed new version of ROM and did a wipe of cache and dalvik. When I booted back up, a working copy of wallet (the newer app) was uninstalled. I restored from TB and set it back up. It went all the way through and everything looked like it was working, but then... it kept crashing in the background and when I went to open it it asked for my pin, which I would enter, then ask again, and would not let me enter the app no matter how many times I entered the pin. I uninstalled and reinstalled but had same issue again (could settup, but then the pin issue).

Am I SOL?

lennykravitz2004

Feb 21, 2012
Where'd you go to high school?
By no means am I an expert, and as a matter of fact, several people have refuted my statements. No problem with that at all. I'm just trying to pass along some info I've found helpful to me in my situation, such as this about restoring from (or better yet, NOT to restore from) TiB and Wallet...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...cks/176486-titanium-backup-google-wallet.html

Yes, different device, "nevertheless"...

:confused:

Last edited:

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
By no means am I an expert, and as a matter of fact, several people have refuted my statements. No problem with that at all. I'm just trying to pass along some info I've found helpful to me in my situation, such as this about restoring from (or better yet, NOT to restore from) TiB and Wallet...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...cks/176486-titanium-backup-google-wallet.html

Yes, different device, "nevertheless"...

:confused:

Thanks. Wish I knew that before....

I can't believe I destroyed GW for myself...so mad right now.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

FWIW: So I just disabled the app from the website, wiped data via TB and uninstalled via TB, installed a fresh copy (pushed apk to system/app), reboot, setup...and it seems to be working fine!

abjc89

Dec 29, 2008
San Francisco
Okay, I've reflashed a couple times stock, MA5 stock, jelly bomb and cm10 and in my experience, I have yet to run into the secure element problems. It could be that the wallet app has been updated sometime between early December and February so that it doesn't bork the SE chip. I've wiped it a couple times from the wallet app, i'm guessing it's just some separate disk with a ridiculously low amount of storage and a very weird addressing path that allows hardware to use it without much software. Of course I would suggest wiping your Google wallet whenever flashing and restoring, or because you just don't use it. But, it looks like the problems might be dissipating and are only affecting early adopters of the Google wallet installation workarounds.

jamesey

Aug 1, 2006
Okay, I've reflashed a couple times stock, MA5 stock, jelly bomb and cm10 and in my experience, I have yet to run into the secure element problems. It could be that the wallet app has been updated sometime between early December and February so that it doesn't bork the SE chip. I've wiped it a couple times from the wallet app, i'm guessing it's just some separate disk with a ridiculously low amount of storage and a very weird addressing path that allows hardware to use it without much software. Of course I would suggest wiping your Google wallet whenever flashing and restoring, or because you just don't use it. But, it looks like the problems might be dissipating and are only affecting early adopters of the Google wallet installation workarounds.

For what it's worth I was using the latest version. Older versions aren't working anymore

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

I may have found a way to prove my secure element is broken without having to wait for official Google Wallet support for the Note 2. This will aid in getting an RMA for replacement.

Can someone please install ABNote Wallet from the playstore and tell me what happens when you open it.

I get the following message "Unable to open secure element"

Of course I also installed their remote support app and emailed a request to wipe my secure element remotely and attached my meid just in case. Hey you never know!

Last edited:

fsewell82

Dec 21, 2010
uploadfromtaptalk1360965407841.jpg

Yay this makes 2 confirmed places

Sent from my SPH-L900 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

TirithXiato

Mar 18, 2012
For what it's worth I was using the latest version. Older versions aren't working anymore

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

I may have found a way to prove my secure element is broken without having to wait for official Google Wallet support for the Note 2. This will aid in getting an RMA for replacement.

Mine broke too, didn't flash anything or anything... just went to use it at the store like I normally do and it gave me the message... I'll try what your said and let you know

Edit: I don't use Australian anything... have me the error, I hit reload and then it pretended to do something...

yse5e7e7.jpg

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

Last edited:

jamesey

Aug 1, 2006
Mine broke too, didn't flash anything or anything... just went to use it at the store like I normally do and it gave me the message... I'll try what your said and let you know

Edit: I don't use Australian anything... have me the error, I hit reload and then it pretended to do something...

yse5e7e7.jpg

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

I'm not in Australia either. So now there are 2 of us that got SE bricks without flashing anything. I hope sprint supports nfc payments whether it's gw or something else before my 1 year warranty is up so I can rma this phone.

TirithXiato

Mar 18, 2012
I reverted to stock ljc zero flash count... ill throw the ma7 update on and see if I can get it to work

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Well... that didn't work. Still bricked. Since I have bb geek squad or whatever, looks like I'm taking it in today.

swalter718

Jan 21, 2013
Well I'm not rooted lol... might as well go get a refurb and start over

Lol I understand what you're saying. The idea of seeking help from the BestBuy Geek Squad was just funny to me. LMAO It still is! :D

Sent from an evil, dark place...
~ ROM: JellyBomb v14.0
~ Radio: L900VPAMA7
~ Kernel: Perseus alpha32

TirithXiato

Mar 18, 2012
They'll send it in at least... and I'll get a "like new" refurb... and then I can use wallet again. Just mental note to self. Don't break it again... even though I didn't do anything the first time

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    another workaround that i cant get to work properly. the last one came a the cost of my s-pen, which was a no go. i fear by the time we find a cut a dry work around google will have released the official update.

Mine works perfectly. My Spen works just fine too.

Here are the build props: that you'll need to change

ro.product.model=Galaxy Nexus
    ro.product.name=yakju
    ro.product.device=maguro

After changing the build props, reboot.
    1 Use Root explorer or Es file explorer
    Go to system/app/delete com.google.wallet
    2 Open Market and download the legit Google wallet
    Complete any task asked (It should work)

6) Once you are prompted with a list of accounts to re-setup Wallet close the app

7) Delete the Wallet apk from data/app (DO NOT uninstall Wallet, JUST delete the apk) and put the modaco patched r87 into system/app and set permissions (notice the legit was in data but the new one goes in system)

8) Reboot device

9) Run Wallet and this time it should let you set everything up, even though you are now using r87 which previously crashed

10) Once Wallet is working and your cards are registered reboot and make sure it still works

11) If Wallet is now r87 and it still works after the reboot put your build.prop back the way you found it and enjoy!

I did restore my build prop and everything is working :D took me 2 hours to figure out though...

Thanks to WarlockLord and tpmwr and the OP for the finding.
    For all who haven't seen this guide, this is working perfectly on my Sprint Galaxy Note II.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2031127
    Can you detail your method so I can try to replicate? Thanks.

Sure, all I did was install Wallet from market.

DO NOT open it, afterwards I installed Xposed via Easy Installer and then I installed the update and reboot device. (It might give some error but ignore it, as it didn't affect me I still gave superuser permissions and reboot.)

After reboot, I installed the Xposed wallet patcher via easy installer and then I went into Xposed framework and enabled the wallet patcher module, reboot device again. (Again it may give error but still just give superuser permission if it asks and reboot.)

Afterwards I fired up Wallet, go through the usual setup and I was on 3g instead of my home wifi if this matters. It took a while to verify on wallet can't remember how long and it was successful and I was able to add my debit card that I already had setup on Google Wallet.

As I said, I am on AOKP rom, I plan on trying this again on touchwiz base MC2 rom or either Whompasaurus I have backed up in recovery to see if I can get it to work.

Good luck, hope this helps and you get it to successfully work for you. :)
    Finally just now worked for me.

Stock rooted ma7 with a lot of sprint and samsung junk removed. Mc2 modem and firmware. Garwyn 0.3.0 kernel.

Wallet from market installed at least a week ago.

Xposed and wallet patch. Installed and activated at least a week ago.

I have made no changes since then. No reset of the wallet app. Since around a week or more ago the only thing I have done is open Wallet and try to do the final setup step. It didn't reset by itself or reinstall or say anything unusual when I opened it today. The final setup step just took a little extra long and worked.

I was on WI-FI.

My device has shown up as nexus on the web site in the past but shows up as sph l900 ever since the last time I restored build.prop. A week or so ago when I updated Wallet I deleted all devices from the web site (it was showing 4 or 5 devices active because of my ltevo + gn2 and loading different roms and different build.prop edits on each device over the last year or so) and now it just shows a single sph l900.

This negates a few theories floating around about what you have to do. It doesn't matter if you're on wi-fi, you just need internet. It doesn't matter if you're on ma7 or mc2. Xposed doesn't break it even if it might no longer be strictly necessary. (Personally I dislike the warning message so as long as it's possible to erase it I will).

As far as resetting wallet, well if it does it on it's own I guess it must have needed it, but it doesn't look like you doing it will change anything.

Clearly from reading the last few weeks of this thread, google has been doing something on their end and updating or repairing accounts individually, and they just get to yours when they get to yours, and all you need to do is just retry that final step however often you feel like. I was down to checking once every few days.

FYI, Google wallet is now working without the work around with the latest MA5 leaked Rom...