[Q] S3 device memory full (like totally!) but can't find the files?

Search This thread

Widdly

Jan 31, 2011
Amersfoort
I've been searching for days now, I can't find any mention of the same problem. So I finally thought I should just ask here...

Both my wife and I have an S3 i9300. Mine is 15 months old, my wife has had her S3 for only three months now. Devices are not rooted. On my previous Galaxy S phone I have mucked about a lot with custom ROMs. but this phone works so well I've not found it necessary to interfere.

However, for some time now, the Device Memory of my wife's phone has been almost completely filled up.

Out of 16 Gb she has about 650 Mb left (my older phone still had 6.3 Gb). So with 4.6Gb of System memory and some Cache and Misc., there's over 10 Gb of "stuff" on her phone. In Android 4.3 (previous, 4.2.1(?) wouldn't even calculate it) the Storage tab told us there was almost 10Gb of photos and videos on the phone as can be seen in the attached photo.

In the Gallery it showed a 1000 Picasa pictures. Too round a number so it might be more. My wife threw those out of Picasa on the PC and afterwards closed the sync options on the phone. Then we stopped the gallery, emptied the cache and deleted the data. Now the Picasa pictures are no longer in the Gallery, there's about 60 pics left in there, Can't be more than 200 Mb. But according to the Storage tab there's still 10 Gb of photo's on the phone! Not only is this phone slower than mine, it sometimes even crashes. We rebooted the phone a number of times.

I can't find those files! They're not in either SDcard, not in the level up from there marked "/" in the file manager. As the phone is not rooted and my wife doesn't want it mucked about with, I can't go further than that.

My phone is a year older and I take way more photo's than her and I have 120Mb of 'em on my phone. Other sections of the memory like the System Memory are comparable to mine in size, or way smaller, like she has less than half the number of apps I have.

My wife is an MD, she uses the phone often for patient calls. She is very dependent on it. So she doesn't want me to muck about with it. Doesn't want it rooted. Also she doesn't look forward to doing a factory reset and reinstalling the lot. Especially redoing the homescreens. She has a lot of them, which seems to work for her, but is timecomsuming to redecorate. Then there's re-freezing the apps Google and Samsung seem to deem necessary to have on there that we don't use. Without option to remove. And it might not even work, since factory reset usually leaves your personal stuff (music, documents, photo's, etc) alone.

Does anyone know how to find/remove these files?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-26-16-13-17.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-26-16-13-17.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:

Widdly

Jan 31, 2011
Amersfoort
Double post. Delete won't work? Pressing delete sends me to the edit post window where there is no option to delete.

Last edited:

tallman43

Aug 29, 2011
The Land of Android
I've been searching for days now, I can't find any mention of the same problem. So I finally thought I should just ask here...

Both my wife and I have an S3 i9300. Mine is 15 months old, my wife has had her S3 for only three months now. Devices are not rooted. On my previous Galaxy S phone I have mucked about a lot with custom ROMs. but this phone works so well I've not found it necessary to interfere.

However, for some time now, the Device Memory of my wife's phone has been almost completely filled up.

Out of 16 Gb she has about 650 Mb left (my older phone still had 6.3 Gb). So with 4.6Gb of System memory and some Cache and Misc., there's over 10 Gb of "stuff" on her phone. In Android 4.3 (previous, 4.2.1(?) wouldn't even calculate it) the Storage tab told us there was almost 10Gb of photos and videos on the phone as can be seen in the attached photo.

In the Gallery it showed a 1000 Picasa pictures. Too round a number so it might be more. My wife threw those out of Picasa on the PC and afterwards closed the sync options on the phone. Then we stopped the gallery, emptied the cache and deleted the data. Now the Picasa pictures are no longer in the Gallery, there's about 60 pics left in there, Can't be more than 200 Mb. But according to the Storage tab there's still 10 Gb of photo's on the phone! Not only is this phone slower than mine, it sometimes even crashes. We rebooted the phone a number of times.

I can't find those files! They're not in either SDcard, not in the level up from there marked "/" in the file manager. As the phone is not rooted and my wife doesn't want it mucked about with, I can't go further than that.

My phone is a year older and I take way more photo's than her and I have 120Mb of 'em on my phone. Other sections of the memory like the System Memory are comparable to mine in size, or way smaller, like she has less than half the number of apps I have.

My wife is an MD, she uses the phone often for patient calls. She is very dependent on it. So she doesn't want me to muck about with it. Doesn't want it rooted. Also she doesn't look forward to doing a factory reset and reinstalling the lot. Especially redoing the homescreens. She has a lot of them, which seems to work for her, but is timecomsuming to redecorate. Then there's re-freezing the apps Google and Samsung seem to deem necessary to have on there that we don't use. Without option to remove. And it might not even work, since factory reset usually leaves your personal stuff (music, documents, photo's, etc) alone.

Does anyone know how to find/remove these files?

Look here :

Screenshot_2014-01-26-13-24-02.png

Go to /data/media
You should see three folders
legacy
obb

Leave these three folders alone and MOVE all the other folders (which you will notice are all your missing folders and files) into the 0 folder. The only folders that should be left behind are the 3 mentioned above.

You will need a root browser to do this :)

Widdly

Jan 31, 2011
Amersfoort
/ Data folder shows empty. No files. I have turned "hidden files" on.

The phone isn't rooted...

I love Android and it's come a long way, but apparently it is still messy.

Last edited:

tallman43

Aug 29, 2011
The Land of Android
/ Data folder shows empty. No files. I have turned "hidden files" on.

The phone isn't rooted...

I love Android and it's come a long way, but apparently it is still messy.

Like I said in my post you need a root browser to see these files :D The file explore you are using will not see them because you are not rooted:crying: ...Seriously though you need to root your phone to see and move/remove these files there is no other way.:)

Widdly

Jan 31, 2011
Amersfoort
Like I said in my post you need a root browser to see these files :D The file explore you are using will not see them because you are not rooted:crying: ...Seriously though you need to root your phone to see and move/remove these files there is no other way.:)

I guess so... As much as I love android, it still is rather odd that on google android, with a stock samsung phone, upgraded by samsung ota, I need to root it to clean up a mess probably made with a google service... I'll never go Apple, but this wouldn't happen on an iPhone. Otoh, if it did I'd really be sol. Walled up, bunkered in iOS won't let you do anything.

Well, at least I have an idea where to look now.

Thanks all!

I'll go find a rooted kernel and a stock one to get back.

Jumaqidi

Dec 3, 2013
I guess so... As much as I love android, it still is rather odd that on google android, with a stock samsung phone, upgraded by samsung ota, I need to root it to clean up a mess probably made with a google service... I'll never go Apple, but this wouldn't happen on an iPhone. Otoh, if it did I'd really be sol. Walled up, bunkered in iOS won't let you do anything.

Thanks all!

Did you see wat happened to the ios 7 update? Apple screwed it up. Did you see wat happened to apple maps? Apple screwed it up too. Oh. Ios 7 coppied from windows, android and other mobile phones.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: tallman43

Widdly

Jan 31, 2011
Amersfoort
I actually own an ipad 4. Didn't notice any more discomfort than usual on it after the iOS 7 update. Yes, there was a bug fix or two, but I had no problem.

Neither do I have a large picasa stash so my phone is fine while my wife's exact same phone is gasping for air. But probably my phone has these stray files cluttering the space as well, but since there aren't as many, I don't notice.

Keep running into walls on the iPad, though, cause of the apple prison. It's a magnificent piece of hardware, but apple treats their customers as infants and most of them seem to love it. I guess if you have no qualm with only doing what the prison guards let you...

I have it for the music apps. Music reading apps, remote control of the digital mixer for my monitor mix. Those things aren't available on android or all the apples in my house would be edible.

I especially hate the absence of Swiftkey on iOS. Or anything similar. Apple keyboard is so stupid. Such a waste of fantastic hardware ...no apple fan here.

But consider this: here we have a google os, being completelly filled up with files by a google service called picasa, and the only way to get rid of it is breaking the warranty on a three month old phone. Or shipping it back to the store where my wife will be going without for weeks. She is an MD, needs it for patient calls away from her own office. Being without a phone for weeks is not an option. It's ridiculous.

Jumaqidi

Dec 3, 2013
I actually own an ipad 4. Didn't notice any more discomfort than usual on it after the iOS 7 update. Yes, there was a bug fix or two, but I had no problem.

Neither do I have a large picasa stash so my phone is fine while my wife's exact same phone is gasping for air. But probably my phone has these stray files cluttering the space as well, but since there aren't as many, I don't notice.

Keep running into walls on the iPad, though, cause of the apple prison. It's a magnificent piece of hardware, but apple treats their customers as infants and most of them seem to love it. I guess if you have no qualm with only doing what the prison guards let you...

I have it for the music apps. Music reading apps, remote control of the digital mixer for my monitor mix. Those things aren't available on android or all the apples in my house would be edible.

I especially hate the absence of Swiftkey on iOS. Or anything similar. Apple keyboard is so stupid. Such a waste of fantastic hardware ...no apple fan here.

But consider this: here we have a google os, being completelly filled up with files by a google service called picasa, and the only way to get rid of it is breaking the warranty on a three month old phone. Or shipping it back to the store where my wife will be going without for weeks. She is an MD, needs it for patient calls away from her own office. Being without a phone for weeks is not an option. It's ridiculous.

Picasa though I have nvr used it, I suppose it works the same way as dropbox? The files dun actually take up place in the phone. And picasa pictures definitely doesn't take up gbs of space.

Widdly

Jan 31, 2011
Amersfoort
I thought so too. But the phone says there's 10gb worth of photos and videos on it and I can't find it.

Picasa is all I can think of with this phone. I'm extremely sure my wife didn't take this much photos in three months or at all. Come to think of it, I can't even imagine she had that much in picasa. We do have pretty large Dropbox accounts, but her account doesn't have much photo's. Mine does. I put our entire photo collection on there in my account which is not shared with hers.

I hope I get some time today to root her phone and finally see what it is. I hope I can undo the rooting damage with CF's triangleaway app.

Jumaqidi

Dec 3, 2013
I thought so too. But the phone says there's 10gb worth of photos and videos on it and I can't find it.

Picasa is all I can think of with this phone. I'm extremely sure my wife didn't take this much photos in three months or at all. Come to think of it, I can't even imagine she had that much in picasa. We do have pretty large Dropbox accounts, but her account doesn't have much photo's. Mine does. I put our entire photo collection on there in my account which is not shared with hers.

I hope I get some time today to root her phone and finally see what it is. I hope I can undo the rooting damage with CF's triangleaway app.
I alr said dropbox do not use ur phone memory even though ur dropbox acc is large. I have over 20 gb used. And my phone is not even half full and it is only 16 gb internal no external. Picasa works the same way as dropbox too. The pics is in the server, not ur phone.

Widdly

Jan 31, 2011
Amersfoort
I alr said dropbox do not use ur phone memory even though ur dropbox acc is large. I have over 20 gb used. And my phone is not even half full and it is only 16 gb internal no external. Picasa works the same way as dropbox too. The pics is in the server, not ur phone.

And I said I believed that too. At least I used to.

But unavoidably there is 10Gb of files on the phone.which the storage says are photos and videos. Storage then puts you through to the gallery, where the greatest number of pics by far were in the picasa folders. It's the only place I can figure out where they could have come from. There's nothing else on the phone! And the DCIM folder is empty.

Apparently there is no way to root it and unroot it again without wiping the phone or setting of some protection or counter.... So, whichever way my wife is faced with needing to reinstall and/or configure all her apps again, which will be another couple of hours. She is about fed up with this on android. She had a sgs1 and an sgs note before, and this is the so-many-est time something is wrong with an android phone. If it happens again I'm going iPhone, she says.

Anyway, ill phone the store tomorrow. I don't want to risk the warranty in case anything more serious happens to it. They better tell me what to do.

Widdly

Jan 31, 2011
Amersfoort
Thought I'd let y'all know, a factory reset cleared it all up. Her photos and whatsapp messages and some other stuff are gone, but it isn't a big deal. It's a couple of hours work to get the phone back to where it was. Which is a drag. But the phone is nice and clean again now.

So glad I didn't need to root and flash stuff.

Thanks for all the help and I hope this might help others.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks all!

Did you see wat happened to the ios 7 update? Apple screwed it up. Did you see wat happened to apple maps? Apple screwed it up too. Oh. Ios 7 coppied from windows, android and other mobile phones.