[Q] Dsire HD Boot-Loop S-ON

Search This thread

Whiskeymac

Dec 8, 2013
Dorset
My HTC Desire HD has developed the dreaded Boot Loop. Suddenly went this way whilst on charge in car.

I can get into HBoot - USB and Fastboot - USB menus, but if I select Recovery, it goes back into boot loop.

I can't see the phone on my laptop but can see my HD card when attached in a holder.

The following info is visible:

ACE PUT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.00.0027
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.14.04.28_M
eMMC-boot
Sep 7 2011, 19:06:24

I am not a developer, but with detailed instructions, I did manage to wipe my other phone and install a new RUU. Trouble is that I am in a dodgy reception area and that phone gets no signal here, so I'm dependent upon getting this one sorted.

Could any considerate chap out there help me, without using shorthand terms like "just flash xxx in yyy mode and then zzz using this link, which turns out to be dead. I have searched high and low, but the S-ON designation means, I understand, that "easy" options are off. Of course, I cannot enable USB debugging, or enable connection to PC as I can't complete the boot process.

I'll be very grateful for any help.

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Hook up your device in Fastboot and run last official gingerbread update(2.3.5) from pc.

***RUU selection goes to the carrier that device came with. I hope these covers x > y > z :p

marknoll

May 13, 2014
Install min adb and fastboot. Run it and install it then plug in your phone. Let PC recognize it. Then open a cmd and type fastboot getvar all

Whiskeymac

Dec 8, 2013
Dorset
Install min adb and fastboot. Run it and install it then plug in your phone. Let PC recognize it. Then open a cmd and type fastboot getvar all

OK. done that and this is the result

C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.00.0027
(bootloader) version-baseband: 26.14.04.28_M
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: 0438
(bootloader) version-main: 3.12.405.1
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei: 352668041228402
(bootloader) product: ace
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-7230
(bootloader) modelid: PD9810000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4199mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 743ca94a
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
(bootloader) region-id: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.037s

"Hook up your device in Fastboot and run last official gingerbread update(2.3.5) from pc"

I have downloaded this gingerbread update but have no idea how to run it from my pc. I have put it in the root directory but it has no exe file and the Cmd prompt doesn't seem to help. I still can't see the phone in explorer.

Probably a simple process but I have no previous experience to guide me.

marknoll

May 13, 2014
You have latest hboot

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Run the update that has baseband 12.69a. You're not supercid nor unlocked BL nor s offed.. This should help. Make sure u back up all u need as this will wipe the device with a clean slate.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2635479

Last edited:

Whiskeymac

Dec 8, 2013
Dorset
You have latest hboot

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Run the update that has baseband 12.69a. You're not supercid nor unlocked BL nor s offed.. This should help. Make sure u back up all u need as this will wipe the device with a clean slate.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Sorry. I understand S - off but that's all. I'm not a developer. Just a fairly computer literate Desire HD user with a problem!
I see the term baseband in your message and in my getvar report, but have no idea what it is. Could you be kind and give me a link to what I need to use, and explain where the .exe file is or whatever I need to run it? Much appreciated.

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Don't panic...

Quick notes and probably last reply from me, I'll try to cover every aspect of your problem.

-RUU is a Stock ROM which should be in .exe format to run through pc while device is connected.
-To play around with device,doesn't necessary to be a developer.
-I'm also not a dev but if you spend more time here,you'll learn a lot.

So cut the crap and head over your issue.

now i don't know which carrier your device is locked Or from where you bought the device. But RUU should be from that carrier origin or at least country origin.
Check here: http://www.shipped-roms.com/index.php?category=android&model=Ace

These are stock rom for our device(Ace-code name of Desire HD/Inspire 4g)
Choose one with ending of .exe and according to your carrier or country from where you bought it.

As earlier you've mentioned that you may able to get into Fastboot,then put your device in fastboot mode and it should be in Hboot USB ,now to go into such way you need to connect your device through USB and wait a second or so then press power button and it will show you in RED color.

After that run RUU file through pc by double clicking on file. It will prompt you that it will upgrade your device hboot version,go ahead and click next. and let the process complete. But before all make sure your device has more than 30% of battery. If you encountered any problem,then head over to htc.com and ask for help regarding it. I'm just saying because your device is in Stock mode,nothing has been changed according their standard. Or you may look at here in forum regarding error that you get while running RUU.

If you successfully go through all steps,then your device probably back to life again,unless there isn't any hardware issue. Once you deal with this you may now able to unlock bootloader and root your device. But that's only when you actually done with above mentioned steps.

If some point you don't understand what i'm saying,then from my side i'm SORRY. But you've to spent more time with your device in order to learn it properly.

Last edited:

Whiskeymac

Dec 8, 2013
Dorset
Quick notes and probably last reply from me, I'll try to cover every aspect of your problem.

-RUU is a Stock ROM which should be in .exe format to run through pc while device is connected.

now i don't know which carrier your device is locked Or from where you bought the device. But RUU should be from that carrier origin or at least country origin.

Choose one with ending of .exe and according to your carrier or country from where you bought it.

As earlier you've mentioned that you may able to get into Fastboot,then put your device in fastboot mode and it should be in Hboot USB ,now to go into such way you need to connect your device through USB and wait a second or so then press power button and it will show you in RED color.

After that run RUU file through pc by double clicking on file. It will prompt you that it will upgrade your device hboot version,go ahead and click next. and let the process complete. But before all make sure your device has more than 30% of battery. If you encountered any problem,then head over to htc.com and ask for help regarding it. I'm just saying because your device is in Stock mode,nothing has been changed according their standard. Or you may look at here in forum regarding error that you get while running RUU.

If you successfully go through all steps,then your device probably back to life again,unless there isn't any hardware issue. Once you deal with this you may now able to unlock bootloader and root your device. But that's only when you actually done with above mentioned steps.

If some point you don't understand what i'm saying,then from my side i'm SORRY. But you've to spent more time with your device in order to learn it properly.
Thanks for your forbearance. My phone is PAYG so not tied to anyone. Thank you for the link. I went searching round the forum and was trying something that had no .exe, so couldn't fathom where to go. I'm quite happy if I can find that, and even happier if it fixes the problem.

With considerate help, I rooted another phone so am confident to push the margins as you implore me to do. I'll get on with it!

Thanks again

marknoll

May 13, 2014
Androidruu.com. I already told ya

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

You have latest hboot

The ruu is in the second post... 3.20xxxx. That's what you need

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Baseband explanation.

http://www.droidforums.net/threads/what-is-a-baseband.36959/

Whiskeymac

Dec 8, 2013
Dorset

Your instructions were very welcome and gave me the knowledge I needed to proceed, paricularly a sourcs of .exe RUUs rather than the .zip I had found that had no .exe file within.

According to the on screen info, I have installed the Rom I selected successfully. Unfortunately the boot loop remains and it still goes into that when I click on recovery. Seems that this phone is probably cooked.

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Your instructions were very welcome and gave me the knowledge I needed to proceed, paricularly a sourcs of .exe RUUs rather than the .zip I had found that had no .exe file within.

According to the on screen info, I have installed the Rom I selected successfully. Unfortunately the boot loop remains and it still goes into that when I click on recovery. Seems that this phone is probably cooked.

Okie. Good sign,that RUU successfully installed. Now time for next step.

-Do you able to boot your device? Or still has bootloop after installing appropriate RUU.
-If you can go into bootloader then just show everything what's mentioned there from top to bottom( hboot version,radio version etc. everything)

Well if stock recovery doesn't work then will try to Unlocked the bootloader and make it Flash custom recovery then.

Reactions: marknoll

Whiskeymac

Dec 8, 2013
Dorset
Right, back at the coal face:

-Do you able to boot your device? Or still has bootloop after installing appropriate RUU.

-If you can go into bootloader then just show everything what's mentioned there from top to bottom( hboot version,radio version etc. everything)

Well if stock recovery doesn't work then will try to Unlocked the bootloader and make it Flash custom recovery then.

It's still not booting. Just loops with a buzz every 10 secs or so, with a white screen and green HTC. Same when I hit recovery. When I plug it switched off into the PC, it switches on by itself into the boot loop.

Bootloader info:

ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.00.0027
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.14.04.28_M
eMMC-boot
Sep 7 2011,19:06:24

RUU that I think I installed: RUU_Ace_Sense30_S_HTC_WWE_3.12.405.1_Radio_12.65.60.29_26.14.04.28_M_release_225512_signed.exe

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Right, back at the coal face:

It's still not booting. Just loops with a buzz every 10 secs or so, with a white screen and green HTC. Same when I hit recovery. When I plug it switched off into the PC, it switches on by itself into the boot loop.

Bootloader info:

ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.00.0027
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.14.04.28_M
eMMC-boot
Sep 7 2011,19:06:24

RUU that I think I installed: RUU_Ace_Sense30_S_HTC_WWE_3.12.405.1_Radio_12.65.60.29_26.14.04.28_M_release_225512_signed.exe

Get yourself a New Phone. I believe it's a hardware failure. Or if you want to play around more with it,nothing gonna harm it much since device doesn't know when should boot properly. So i advise you either you unlocked the bootloader! not by htcdev but using chinese tool. It does same thing unless if you want to go through long process of typing and creating account sort of troublesome method.

First of all, you need to use Chrome Browser to translate page automatically unless you chinese. then go to www.mgyun.com , Once site loads up completely first thing you'll notice a white box with monitor sign in circle with version 3.4.8, download and install it in your pc. Once that done. Connect your device in what ever stat it is. Or try putting it in bootloader mode,since it doesn't reboot on bootloader. It should detect your device if you have HTC Sync installed.

Once it gets detected,in that program go to settings > look for lock sign > click on it. It will load another window hit yes or follow on screen instructions.After a minute or so your device should reboot with prompt message that you're about to unlock bootloader. Use volume down to select and Power button to confirm. After that it will reboot again. And that's it later on you may go to bootloader you'll see ***UNLOCKED****

Well, If your device let's complete whole process then there is still some life left. I'm saying it because i do have same issue as yours. And solution to it only by replacing motherboard of the device. Which means time to buy a new device!

Whiskeymac

Dec 8, 2013
Dorset
Well it can do no harm to try this as you say. I am not very impressed with the reliability of this model, or at least its robustness. I still have my original HD. That works, but HTC say it has "something wrong with the motherboard and will pack up in time". This after I sent it back when it was behaving like a mad thing, carrying out all sorts of actions without me touching it.. After hours and weeks rooting it from zero knowledge, and I mean absolute zero, the same problem was there. Only when I changed the charger which was plugged in, did it function normally. The other phone, the one with the boot loop, I bought second hand, when HTC said the first one needed a new motherboard. I told them to destroy the phone, not send it back for another wad of money. They sent it back for free. It works but does not receive weak signals as well as the replacement, and I'm in a weak signal area which means it doesn't work at home at all.

This boot loop problem started when, once again, it was being float charged in my car. I'm coming to the conclusion that they just don't like being on charge for a long time. Also possible that it may have overheated by being in the sun whilst charging.

Another thing I've discovered is that it starts the boot loop also when it is plugged into a charger even when the phone was switched off.

Anyway, thanks for this latest advice, I'm just about to drive across England to pick up a puppy and will be busy getting him settled in at home for a few days, so the phone will have wait until I have the time to focus properly on what I'm doing. I'll report back when I've ploughed through that, downloaded Chrome etc. I think, as you say, it's time to buy a new phone, but I'll still give it a bit of last ditch resuscitation in the hope that I can breath a bit of life back into it.

Thanks again. WM

Get yourself a New Phone. I believe it's a hardware failure. Or if you want to play around more with it,nothing gonna harm it much since device doesn't know when should boot properly. So i advise you either you unlocked the bootloader! not by htcdev but using chinese tool. It does same thing unless if you want to go through long process of typing and creating account sort of troublesome method.

First of all, you need to use Chrome Browser to translate page automatically unless you chinese. then go to www.mgyun.com , Once site loads up completely first thing you'll notice a white box with monitor sign in circle with version 3.4.8, download and install it in your pc. Once that done. Connect your device in what ever stat it is. Or try putting it in bootloader mode,since it doesn't reboot on bootloader. It should detect your device if you have HTC Sync installed.

Once it gets detected,in that program go to settings > look for lock sign > click on it. It will load another window hit yes or follow on screen instructions.After a minute or so your device should reboot with prompt message that you're about to unlock bootloader. Use volume down to select and Power button to confirm. After that it will reboot again. And that's it later on you may go to bootloader you'll see ***UNLOCKED****

Well, If your device let's complete whole process then there is still some life left. I'm saying it because i do have same issue as yours. And solution to it only by replacing motherboard of the device. Which means time to buy a new device!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for that.....Just returned completely knackered from windsurfing so will have a go tomorrow when I'm less likely to foul it up!