ADB doesn't work for my Galaxy Nexus

Search This thread

psero

Dec 1, 2011
Hi,
I realize a lot of people might have the same problem as I have, but haven't found the answer after searching for many hours. So here's my problem:

windows vista x64
installed android SDK and all related drivers
GN is recognized with correct driver in both fastboot mode and regular "on" mode.
GN is recognized as a device in regular on-mode with 'adb devices'
GN is recognized as a device in fastboot mode with 'fastboot-windows devices'
HOWEVER, when GN is put into fastboot mode, NO devices are found with 'adb devices' even though the icon for 'safely removing hardware' pops up with 'Android ADB Interface', which means the driver is correctly installed.

Someone please help explain why the device is not recognized by 'adb devices' command under fastboot mode even though it's recognized by the computer!

Summary:
GN is found with 'adb devices' for normal boot, but GN is not found under 'adb devices' for fastboot mode. I have reinstalled the android ADB driver, but still the same problem.

I am stressed out! Please help me

Last edited:

JTECJ

Oct 1, 2010
Dallas
I have noticed exactly what you are talking about however what I have found is that it doesn't seem to need to be able to respond to the adb devices command. I was still able to unlock,root and flash multiple different boot.img and radio.img files through fastboot without the computer returning the device while in fastboot. Hope this helps.

Justin

P.S. while you are in fastboot mode it seems you may be looking for something different than standard adb commands. Fastboot is primarily used in this situation so a command for you will typically look something like this"

fastboot-windows flash boot boot.img

or

fastboot-windows flash radio radio.img (the radio.img and boot.img files used in these examples you would want located in the same folder as fastboot-windows)

if you want to try the software out without flashing it "permanently" try:

fastboot-windows radio radio.img (just forget the flash portion)

for unlocking the bootloader the command will look something like this:

fastboot-windows oem unlock

Last edited:

HeathCliffR

Jan 13, 2011
Phone doesn't recognize ADB in fastboot

Phone doesn't recognize ADB in fastboot - have used every conceivable method - downloaded Samsung drivers. Downloaded PDANet. Uninstalled Samsung and tried Naked Samsung. I got the phone unlocked. But I CANNOT get the PC 64 to recognize ADB when I am in fastboot. HELPPPPPPP. I've been working on this for TWO DAYS, and it is RUINING my Christmas holiday.

HeathCliffR

Jan 13, 2011
Unfortunately, yes. I tried the Samsung drivers. Then I tried the PDANet. I also tried the Samsung naked drivers. I was sure that MSKIPS toolkit was going to work, but when I typed in "2" for rooting, NOTHING happened. I'm at my wits end.

RMatt1992

Sep 5, 2010
Phone doesn't recognize ADB in fastboot - have used every conceivable method - downloaded Samsung drivers. Downloaded PDANet. Uninstalled Samsung and tried Naked Samsung. I got the phone unlocked. But I CANNOT get the PC 64 to recognize ADB when I am in fastboot. HELPPPPPPP. I've been working on this for TWO DAYS, and it is RUINING my Christmas holiday.

Of course it doesn't.

AS STATED MULTIPLE TIMES IN THIS THREAD, YOU MUST USE FASTBOOT.EXE.

Please, read thread then reply.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
When phone is turned ON - use adb
When in FASTBOOT mode - use (surprise surprise) fastboot

afilopou

Oct 21, 2010
Athens
Google Pixel 7 Pro
When phone is turned on or in recovery - use adb (check it with "adb devices" ,without " in cmd)
When in FASTBOOT mode - use fastboot (check it with "fastboot devices" ,without " in cmd)

In order to work fastboot you must have the fastboot.exe preferably in the same folder with adb

achavik

Sep 11, 2010
Try this

I tried installing PDAnet but no Joy.. but went to device manager and selected adb drivers and samsung from the list and that did the trick... :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Of course it doesn't.

AS STATED MULTIPLE TIMES IN THIS THREAD, YOU MUST USE FASTBOOT.EXE.

Please, read thread then reply.
    ADB isn't used in fastboot mode, fastboot.exe is.

ADB is for when the phone is running Android or recovery only.