[ROM][4.0.4] Slim ICS (SGS2) - Clean, Simple & Fast (57MB)

Search This thread

AvRS

Dec 21, 2009
Ok so I've done a load of reading around and I think that when I flashed CM9 that it automatically updated my bootloader, so presumably I'm now running with ICS bootloader. Could this be what was causing my issues?

CM9 doesn't automatically install a bootloader unless you flashed the ODIN version and selected to flash a bootloader. I've come from GB and have never flashed a different bootloader from the time I got my phone. Have you tried installing an old GB ROM from ODIN, flash CF-Root for that version then follow the flashing instructions for this ROM i.e format /system in mounts and storage, wipe data/factory reset, wipe dalvik and then flash the base + essentials. You won't get a much cleaner install then that.

If you want to rule out the bootloader go find Intratech's thread with stock firmware and download the old bootloader from there and then do all the wipes etc and flash this.

Misterjokerboy

Nov 9, 2011
Cambridge
CM9 doesn't automatically install a bootloader unless you flashed the ODIN version and selected to flash a bootloader. I've come from GB and have never flashed a different bootloader from the time I got my phone. Have you tried installing an old GB ROM from ODIN, flash CF-Root for that version then follow the flashing instructions for this ROM i.e format /system in mounts and storage, wipe data/factory reset, wipe dalvik and then flash the base + essentials. You won't get a much cleaner install then that.

If you want to rule out the bootloader go find Intratech's thread with stock firmware and download the old bootloader from there and then do all the wipes etc and flash this.

I installed via Odin and only selected PDA, but I there was definitely something about boot during the flashing procedure in Odin. I'm at work at the moment so haven't been able to try anything else yet, just decided to do a bit more reading/investigation.

I will certainly try what you suggested, appreciate the reply

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

CM9 doesn't touch your bootloader but if you flash LPQ via odin that would have.

Didn't see this post before, thanks for the reply. I now have an LPQ base so I think the noob friendly option via Odin must do all this automatically. If that's the case it might be worth changing the instructions slightly in the OP just in case?

AvRS

Dec 21, 2009
I installed via Odin and only selected PDA, but I there was definitely something about boot during the flashing procedure in Odin. I'm at work at the moment so haven't been able to try anything else yet, just decided to do a bit more reading/investigation.

I will certainly try what you suggested, appreciate the reply

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Didn't see this post before, thanks for the reply. I now have an LPQ base so I think the noob friendly option via Odin must do all this automatically. If that's the case it might be worth changing the instructions slightly in the OP just in case?

If you mean LPQ baseband that's just your modem/radio and has nothing to do with your firmware version so don't worry about that. If you flashed the LPQ bootloader that has known issues with AOSP ROM's so definitely worth trying Intratech's old bootloader or the one from the OP of CM9 I think as they've got an ICS one that should work with all AOSP/CM9 variants.

krarvind

Jun 15, 2011
Saint John, NB
If you mean LPQ baseband that's just your modem/radio and has nothing to do with your firmware version so don't worry about that. If you flashed the LPQ bootloader that has known issues with AOSP ROM's so definitely worth trying Intratech's old bootloader or the one from the OP of CM9 I think as they've got an ICS one that should work with all AOSP/CM9 variants.

I bet he flashed a single Tar fine which had a boot loader as well. To bad all phones ate nor like nexus where you can enter fast boot mode to see your boot loader, etc

Sent from my Crespo

Misterjokerboy

Nov 9, 2011
Cambridge
Yeah I did mean baseband. I'll have a play later anyway because I love the look of this ROM and I'm determined to install it :D

[edit] Yes it was a single Tar file krarvind, looks like that is what happened then. I'll sift through the CM9 thread while I'm meant to be working :)

Last edited:

cytherean

Dec 12, 2010
Montreal
Flashed it, but at least on my device (which, apparently, has its own quirks, hahaha!), it does nothing for the video recording. Same thing as before: you click the shutter at the end of recording, but nothing gets saved to device. Let's hope krarvind can work his magic on it, since it doesn't appear to work out of the box.

And errrrr.... In response to the earlier reply on my last post: I'll try and pull a logcat. Have to get through a few shifts first. : (

Sent from anywhere between changing my kids' diapers and the ED/ICU/PCC (TT v2.0b4, SGS2)
Have you tried to force stop/clear data? Some are reporting in the CM9 thread that this is fixing the problem for them.

m1keyb

Dec 23, 2011
Been using this for 5 days now and i'm very happy with it :) good work krarvind :cool:

Broke it a few times trying to theme it but i'm still learning lol

baza14

Jan 14, 2011
Good ROM, but 2 things:
1. very bad launcher as default. It looks horrible on this DPI.
2. I don't care how slim is it, but I want to see multilanguage.

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
1) There are many launchers in the market....find one that you like.

2) If you want to drop down a nice LARGE AMOUNT OF CASH, maybe krarvind might be able to add it for you. :)

1) +1. Whatever launcher krarvind would pick, none of them would satisfy every potential user. I rather see him dedicate his considerable skill to stuff that actually matters.

2) -1. I am also, unfortunately, still looking for a nice, big -- no, let me rephrase: HUGE -- pile of cash. I have the hope he doesn't read your post, cytherean, and while he may pass mine as well, chances are he might donate to me. I'd be thankful. Very thankful. ; )

Sent from anywhere between changing my kids' diapers and the ED/ICU/PCC (TT v2.0b4, SGS2)

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
M'kay, now comes the funny part. Let me start of by stating here and now that I am currently on Slim and no longer suffer the unplug/reboot problem. Thanks for all your suggestions -- I REALLY appreciate the thinking along and people waking besides me in any journey. That must be a relic of my time in the military, hehe.

The funny is, I tried each and every suggestion of you guys; whatever trick I tried, however, I still ended up with the aforementioned problem. (I think I have aged at least twenty years the past few days, LOL!) The solution apparently was arrived at when I decided to put aside all good advice and just be my stubborn and hard-headed self. I wiped everything that is sensible to wipe at least three times, coming from the 'defunct' Slim (far from, of course), flashed CM9 on top of it, flashed latest GAPPS (I believe the 210212 version), synced my accounts, restored programs and data with TBP, flashed Slim 3.0 base, and subsequently the 3.0 Essentials, and let it reboot.

I have been in more stressful situations (unfortunately), but as far as flashing is concerned, this was probably one of the longest boots I have stared at. : D I now am a very happy camper, for I have the currently best ICS ROM for my device running without a single hitch (apart from the known bugs, which I've never meaningfully encountered 'in the wild' anyway).

Again: thanks for the advice, guys (and girls?), I don't have a clue why it didn't work out earlier by performing every step according to protocol. First contract with the enemy does, apparently, invalidate whatever plan you might have had. ; )

cytherean

Dec 12, 2010
Montreal
1) +1. Whatever launcher krarvind would pick, none of them would satisfy every potential user. I rather see him dedicate his considerable skill to stuff that actually matters.

2) -1. I am also, unfortunately, still looking for a nice, big -- no, let me rephrase: HUGE -- pile of cash. I have the hope he doesn't read your post, cytherean, and while he may pass mine as well, chances are he might donate to me. I'd be thankful. Very thankful. ; )

Not sure if I understand #2.

But I know when talented people like krarvind take their own time to put together a rom and decide to share it, donations are always welcome and I'm sure for the right price additions/options can be added (not to the rom of course but as a flashable package).

Personally I could care less as the rom has everything that I want...I'm just saying.

EDIT: Hey, if anyone is giving out free money (I prefer Silver)....I would like to be at the front of the line.

Last edited:

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
Not sure if I understand #2.

But I know when talented people like krarvind take their own time to put together a rom and decide to share it, donations are always welcome and I'm sure for the right price additions/options can be added (not to the rom of course but as a flashable package).

Personally I could care less as the rom has everything that I want...I'm just saying.

EDIT: Hey, if anyone is giving out free money (I prefer Silver)....I would like to be at the front of the line.

#2 was a stupid joke, indeed referring to me being interested in a hefty wad of cash as well. As you said, Slim has everything I want or provides great opportunities to modify or add features. It's most important to keep Slim as slim as possible. ; )

EDIT: I just noticed the torch toggle in the power menu is working. Nice work, krarvind (or whoever is responsible)!

Last edited:

cytherean

Dec 12, 2010
Montreal
#2 was a stupid joke, indeed referring to me being interested in a hefty wad of cash as well. As you said, Slim has everything I want or provides great opportunities to modify or add features. It's most important to keep Slim as slim as possible. ; )

That is what I thought but wasn't sure. :)

Doodalicious

Sep 18, 2010
It's been awhile since I had a rom with smoothness and battery life that surprised me haha. It's super clean and light too, definitely my new daily driver :D

PS: I use MiLocker coz i love customizing the lockscreen, anyone experienced battery drain with it before?

Great Rom! Definitely recommend haha!

Misterjokerboy

Nov 9, 2011
Cambridge
Only been using the rom half a day, but I can already see that I have made the right choice. Have spent a lot of time checking out all the different configuration options :)

Have a couple of very minor things, have checked pretty much all settings and can't see anything that I can use.

1. My contacts are stored on my sim card, I found the option to import the contacts but most of my contacts are in there 3 times. I more than likely did something stupid, but does anyone know if there's a way I can get rid of the duplicates? I was hoping that I might have the option to just read contacts from sim card but couldn't see an option for that if there is one

2. When I receive a text message or missed phonecall, I get the notification in the status bar at the top but not in the sms or phone icons at the bottom

Both of these things are very minor and may well both be caused by me doing something wrong

fronti90

Mar 29, 2012
My guess about the contacts is that u stored them on sim and ur Google account and perhaps locally on ur phone too ;-)
I would recommend that u log in to ur Google account on a PC and check that under contacts. I can easily manage all ur contacts there!

For notification at icons I used go launcher and go notifications but I am not sure if go notification is a stand alone apk

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Reactions: Misterjokerboy

Misterjokerboy

Nov 9, 2011
Cambridge
My guess about the contacts is that u stored them on sim and ur Google account and perhaps locally on ur phone too ;-)
I would recommend that u log in to ur Google account on a PC and check that under contacts. I can easily manage all ur contacts there!

For notification at icons I used go launcher and go notifications but I am not sure if go notification is a stand alone apk

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

I didn't realise my SIM contacts would have synched with google and for some reason I never even thought to check, lol. All the same duplications were there and there is even a very handy option in "more" to find and merge duplicates :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    slimnewlogo.png
    IMPORTANT: FEATURE REQUESTS WILL BE IGNORED, MY BETA TESTERS WILL DO THAT DIRECTLY TO ME.

Key features:
    • Fully built from AOSP sources with some cherry picks from CM and AOKP team,
    • Easy to customize features (thanks to AOKP team) via ASS (Advanced Slim Settings)
    • ROM - 57MB
    • Slim Common - 20MB
    • 5 languages ( en, fr, de, it and es. No new languages will be added)
    • Lightning Launcher
    • Lockscreen Options ( Calendar, Weather etc, check via ASS)
    • Screenshot via Customizable Nav Bar
    What Works:

• Everything for daily use
    Supported Devices here, no extra devices for now ( and NO PORTS of Slim ICS):

Removed apps here, download it via my OTA app

Credits here

Source:

https://github.com/krarvind/

Rest:
    http://source.android.com

Latest version, Download Links and Change Logs : Go Here

Discuss the rom here in xda and Hit Thanks if you try the rom and like it .
    Themes and Mods:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1663359

Thanks to
    O_tiger
    _Garry_
    cyberboob
    AvRs and whoever else i missed

SGS2 Slim Features:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26229895&postcount=2487

Big Thanks to AvRs
    Latest Slim Features guide

Hi all, here's a little guide to all the latest new features in Slim ICS for the S2.

System Settings:

When you open System Settings you will notice the options under quick links, these give you access to further customise/control your experience. You have ASS, Device Settings (aka Galaxy S II Settings) and Themes which are explained below in further detail.

Settings.png

Device Settings/Galaxy S II Settings:

On top of your normal Radio, Screen and Sensors tabs you now have a new tab, "Backlights" which is now where you can go to control how your menu and back key backlights work including BLN.

Backlight settings:

Backlight Timeout – This allows you to choose between multiple preset times, always on and always off for when you press either back or menu (see screenshot above).

BLN Light – This just controls whether BLN notifications are on or off.

BLN Timeout – This is the time that the BLN notification will continue to notify you before timing out, again giving a set number of presets for you to choose from (see screenshot above).

BLN Breathe – This is one of 3 combinations of BLN pattern. When selected the breathe effect mimics a pulsing/breathing pattern.

BLN Blink – This is the standard blink BLN pattern with the backlights repeatedly turning on and off.

BLN Fade – This refers to the backlights and how they turn off after the preset backlight timeout period. If ticked, once your backlight timeout period has passed the lights will fade down as opposed to just turning off in the normal way.

BLN Battery Limit - Set a value that BLN will no longer notify you below (default is 20%).

BLN Enabled Charging - Set whether to automatically enable BLN while charging.

NOTE: If BLN Breathe and BLN Blink are unchecked then you will get the lights on fixed with no pattern. You need to make sure only one of the 2 patterns are selected as otherwise you will get one or the other but I’ve not done enough tests to see which takes priority over the other.

Backlights5.png

Themes:

This is the CM9 theme engine that allows you to set a chosen theme that you have downloaded as in CM9. This is an unsupported feature and only included due to popular demand but has been tested with a couple of select themes so does in fact work. Still please use with precaution as not all themes may be compatible with Slim and we can't guarantee 100% usability.

Themessmall.png

Camera:

When you now bring up the camera settings you will see a storage option, this allows you to choose whether you use ‘Internal’, ‘SD Card’ or ‘USB Storage’ to save your pictures. The same option is available when you change to video camera and choose settings. You also now have 'Timer mode' which allows you to set a preset time before the picture is taken.

Camerasmall.png

Desk Clock:

For those (like me ;)) that use the stock desk clock app for your alarms, if you go into alarms and choose settings you will see a new option called ‘Flip action’ as per the 1st of the 2 screenshots below. When selected this gives you the option to turn/flip your phone onto its screen in order to either snooze or dismiss the alarm in progress (see 2nd screenshot below to see options).

Alarmsmall.png

Kernel:

Slim ICS is now using myfluxi’s Fluxi XX Kernel ICS sources, so is a kernel compiled from the latest sources at the time of ROM build with krarvind's modified touch recovery, not myflux's recovery.

As of xxTweaker beta 5 or 6 myfluxi has made it possible for xxTweaker to now be compatible with kernels built from his sources (such as the stock Slim ICS kernel). Always check to see if the location "/customkernel" exists with an explorer and if it does that the file "fluxi_compatible" exists within it. If it doesn't include these then create the folder "customkernel" in root and an empty file called "fluxi_compatible" and xxTweaker will then work.

Alternatively if you wish to use myfluxi's own kernel you can get it from: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1644648.

Remember backlight settings are already available within device settings and performance CPU settings can be controlled by ASS – Performance so the choice is yours. For the backlight settings, the app which you set the options in last is the one that takes priority and will be the settings used.

Also we still seem to be having issues with backlight/BLN settings sticking on reboot so you will have to reset them if you reboot. To overcome this you can add my init.d script to /system/etc/init.d and set permissions to rwxr-xr-x (755). Once added you can then open it up using text editor (most file explorers should allow this) and modify the settings as you wish as it's set with what I use currently.

Both MTP and UMS work both in the ROM and recovery for /sdcard and /emmc.

Apollo Music:

Apollo is now the default music player compiled from source. You can read all about it here.

It's really easy to navigate, use and adds the convenience of lockscreen controls which the previous included music player didn't have. When you start playing music you'll realise a notification icon in the status bar and when you exit the player it remains until you press the "X" beside the notification controls for easy resume as shown below. It's still in early release so I'm sure will only improve.

Apollo.png

Quiet Hours:

This is accessed via Settings -> Sound -> Quiet hours

This setting allows you to set a time period that your phone will mute selected sounds. The options available currently are "Mute notification sounds", "Mute phone ringtones" and "Disable vibrations" as can be seen in the screen shots below:

QuietMode.png

Slim Gapps:

Now the ROM is even "slimmer" ;) all you need to do is install this zip along with base and essentials and you'll have all the main Gapps that were previously available. Included apps are as follows:

ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk
    Gallery.apk
    Gmail.apk
    GoogleBackupTransport.apk
    GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
    GoogleLoginService.apk
    GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    PicasaSyncAdapter.apk
    Talk.apk
    Vending.apk
    Email.apk
    Exchange.apk

MMS.apk:

The restriction of 4 SMS's in a single message before automatically being converted to an MMS message has now been removed and raised to the maximum 15 message limit available in the AOSP MMS app. This saves you from being charged for an MMS when you've just got a lot to say ;)

Clock settings:

Accessed via Settings -> ASS -> Clock - this allows you to customise your status bar clock with a selection of options as below:

Clock Style: This allows you to choose the position of your status bar clock, between right or centre aligned or remove it altogether.

AM/PM Style: Select between 2 different sizes of AM/PM or don't show.

Day of the week: Select between 2 different sizes of abbreviated day e.g. Thu.

Clock colour: Using the colour selector you can further customise your clock.

Enable alarm icon: Allows you to show or hide the alarm icon from the status bar.

Clocksettings.png

Statusbar notification count:

Accessed via ASS -> Statusbar subcategory -> General as shown above in first screenshot of clock settings. You then need to scroll right to the last option and tick "Show notification count". When you have 2 or more notifications you will get a blue circle with the count at the corner of the notification icon.

SBNotif.png

Current work in progress and important notes for next version can be found at:

http://www.slimroms.com/apps/blog/
    Fellas, thanks for the appreciation and support. Slim Bean is what is called and have been out for some devices as 1.0 and 2.0 is ready for most devices but i wanted to see if i can get s2/s3 to get to the same state. S2 is giving me some hard time and AvRs some heart ache's. He had to Odin twice to recover his phone. My test S2 phone needs fixing. Will continue to work on it and with AvRs, we will get it working. When, i can't answer that. I was hoping for 2.0 but might have to wait. Let's see. Cheers
    We got slim bean fellas. Coming soon. I had to use modifications in system/vold, recompile.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2