HTC and S-OFF - A universal petition ***/\/\*** Sent to HTC ***/\/\***

Search This thread

abc27

Apr 16, 2010
HTC can give a generic response to a single user, but can they do the same to 1000s of users?

I think not. It's time to tell them what we think as a group.

We, the undersigned, are formally requesting that HTC consider extending end users the ability to turn on/off the platform security on their phones (S-OFF) preferably through a method that also permits full access to the phone's software partitions (For example: "APX/NvFlash" mode on the Tegra platform). This would be a further development on the current "Bootloader Unlock" being provided on the domain htcdev.com for certain devices. Such a feature, if granted would greatly ameliorate the esteem developers and non-developer users have for HTC for its relationship with its customers.

Collectively, we also wish to make it clear that we acknowledge the risks involved with such a feature and understand that HTC is not liable for any faults caused through software modifications carried out by the end user. HTC reserves the right to refuse warranty repair on this basis providing sufficient evidence of user-induced damage is present. We are requesting that if HTC are to respond positively to this feature request that they would also make it clear that within the terms of their limited warranty and with the statutory rights of the consumer undisturbed they will not invalidate the limited warranty for instances of faults clearly arising from manufacturing errors. We would also request that any such statement would be clear in its terms without resorting to ambiguous terminology such as "may".

We also wish to state that we are aware of HTC's carrier agreements which may make such a feature impossible to implement on customised devices sold by certain carriers. With this in mind, we wish to make it clear that we are requesting such privileges only for devices that are sold as "sim-free" or by carriers who do not actively oppose such features.

Sincerely,
The undersigned customers of HTC

View signatories here: http://goo.gl/9a1pzhttp://goo.gl/uSkOg
Give your support here.

For those concerned about how this will work, once we reach a sufficient number of signatories I will send a secure copy of the signatory list (With the serial numbers de-obfuscated for authentication) to HTC.

Add the link to your signatures and spread it far and wide. The more of us there are, the louder we are.

This isn't only for the One X. It's for all owners of HTC devices running Android. Spread the link far and wide.

Last edited:

abc27

Apr 16, 2010
That's the point.

They know it and they can ignore it because no one attempts to contact them. If one person asks for S-OFF they'll reel off the usual generic nonsense about security. If a few thousand ask for S-OFF they'll have to give something a bit more substantial.

brent8577

Oct 1, 2011
they have made their decision already. im letting someone buy mine next week when i have pics and a different phone. good luck with that though.

SB13X

Jun 14, 2010
England, UK
Thanks just making sure it was still going :D Going to get my Desire and Desire HD owning brothers to register tomorrow and link back to here added to my signature :D

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org
HTC will not give us S-OFF, they have customers as well, and those customers (telecoms) don't want their users to have too much freedom. This includes access to the radio partition, allowing users to unlock handsets freely. This topic is a waste of time.

Reactions: Willieumm

abc27

Apr 16, 2010
HTC will not give us S-OFF, they have customers as well, and those customers (telecoms) don't want their users to have too much freedom. This includes access to the radio partition, allowing users to unlock handsets freely. This topic is a waste of time.
People can already unlock their phones for a pittance (€5-10) online. Buying an unlock code is much easier for the average person to do and use than turning off their phone's platform security.

If you think this topic is a waste of time, I recommend you follow your advice and stop wasting your time and go do something else like complain.

Reactions: ahaznada

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
I'd sign, but don't want to list my serial number as I don't want HTC to void my warranty.

Emmure

Apr 17, 2011
Zurich City
@ OP

Would you like your petition signed by number of people or number of devices?
Since there might be alot of people with multiple HTC devices and serials to spare, that might give a higher count.

abc27

Apr 16, 2010
People. But... that said, if you have more than one device just type in their serial numbers separated by a space or comma e.t.c.

At the end of the petition, i'll count the serial numbers and tally the number of devices and then send a list of names and the petition to HTC. If they ask for authentication of the signatures, i'll give them the list of serial numbers (Without any names attached).

Emmure

Apr 17, 2011
Zurich City
People. But... that said, if you have more than one device just type in their serial numbers separated by a space or comma e.t.c.

At the end of the petition, i'll count the serial numbers and tally the number of devices and then send a list of names and the petition to HTC. If they ask for authentication of the signatures, i'll give them the list of serial numbers (Without any names attached).

Right, too late for that now, already signed with my One X. Got 4 more HTC devices tho, so your choice, I can pm you my name so you can delete me and I resign or I can add them to my GF, when she signs up.

Sent from my rooted HTC Quadcore Beast

abc27

Apr 16, 2010
Right, too late for that now, already signed with my One X. Got 4 more HTC devices tho, so your choice, I can pm you my name so you can delete me and I resign or I can add them to my GF, when she signs up.

Sent from my rooted HTC Quadcore Beast
Add them with your GF. Handiest solution.

techmatlock

Apr 6, 2012
I submitted and should of typed my full name, oh well I provided enough information. I saw someone accidently used their email address in the model textbox, haha. Thanks for creating this petition, I just posted on HTC's official Facebook wall regarding HTC One X s-off and emailed them on their website.

Last edited:

Killasmoke

Jun 27, 2011
Worcester
That sucks that HTC still locking boot loaders & no s-off the!!! The only way to really make them listen is don't buy there devices!!! Or Motorola device just get a Nexus or a Samsung device!! Sammy does lock down there phones like the others bring your phones back & either get a G-Nex, Galaxy S3 or wait for the New Nexus coming out in like 6 months with Jellybean goodness!! :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTC can give a generic response to a single user, but can they do the same to 1000s of users?

I think not. It's time to tell them what we think as a group.

We, the undersigned, are formally requesting that HTC consider extending end users the ability to turn on/off the platform security on their phones (S-OFF) preferably through a method that also permits full access to the phone's software partitions (For example: "APX/NvFlash" mode on the Tegra platform). This would be a further development on the current "Bootloader Unlock" being provided on the domain htcdev.com for certain devices. Such a feature, if granted would greatly ameliorate the esteem developers and non-developer users have for HTC for its relationship with its customers.

Collectively, we also wish to make it clear that we acknowledge the risks involved with such a feature and understand that HTC is not liable for any faults caused through software modifications carried out by the end user. HTC reserves the right to refuse warranty repair on this basis providing sufficient evidence of user-induced damage is present. We are requesting that if HTC are to respond positively to this feature request that they would also make it clear that within the terms of their limited warranty and with the statutory rights of the consumer undisturbed they will not invalidate the limited warranty for instances of faults clearly arising from manufacturing errors. We would also request that any such statement would be clear in its terms without resorting to ambiguous terminology such as "may".

We also wish to state that we are aware of HTC's carrier agreements which may make such a feature impossible to implement on customised devices sold by certain carriers. With this in mind, we wish to make it clear that we are requesting such privileges only for devices that are sold as "sim-free" or by carriers who do not actively oppose such features.

Sincerely,

View signatories here: http://goo.gl/9a1pzhttp://goo.gl/uSkOg
    Give your support here.

For those concerned about how this will work, once we reach a sufficient number of signatories I will send a secure copy of the signatory list (With the serial numbers de-obfuscated for authentication) to HTC.

Add the link to your signatures and spread it far and wide. The more of us there are, the louder we are.

This isn't only for the One X. It's for all owners of HTC devices running Android. Spread the link far and wide.
    Email sent to Mr. Peter Chou. I will keep you all informed.

In the meantime, please continue to spread on Facebook and other social networks for maximum exposure.

Dear Mr. Chou,
    I am writing to you today on behalf of over 1000 fellow long-time customers of HTC with regard to an issue many smartphone enthusiasts feel quite strongly about and base their purchasing decisions and product recommendations upon.

This issue is that of platform security. Over a year ago, you said:
    "There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we've listened. Today, I'm confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience," Peter Chou, CEO of HTC"

The manifestation of this statement that is htcdev.com and its limited "Bootloader Unlock" has been met with a less-than-positive response by the enthusiast community who have begun migrating to your competitors such as Samsung who do not put any such restrictions on the bootloader of their devices. I for one, having already bought a One X do not intend on buying another Android HTC product until such a time that your company's stance changes to best or at least match that of your competitors.

As smartphone enthusiasts, we are aware that we do not form the majority of your target demographic. Yet, at the same time, we are a sizeable group of long-time customers and fans of your products and design ethos. If you lose us to your competitors, you not only lose us as customers but lose a great deal of word-of-mouth marketing from product referrals and reviews.

Through an authenticated (By product serial number) survey, I have a list of over 1000 customers who have added their name to the following request and made it clear that their likelihood to recommend your products would increase by ~30% if you were to respond positively to our request.

The request (Which is reasonable and conscious of your carrier agreements and business position) and signatories can be viewed here: http://goo.gl/l3Sjy (Body of request also available at end of email)

I thank you very much for your time,
    Yours Sincerely,
    <Name removed>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We, the undersigned, are formally requesting that HTC consider extending end users the ability to turn on/off the platform security on their phones (S-OFF) preferably but not essentially through a method that also permits full access to the phone's software partitions (For example: "APX/NvFlash" mode on the Tegra platform). This would be a further development on the current "Bootloader Unlock" being provided on the domain htcdev.com for certain devices.

Such a feature, if granted would greatly ameliorate the esteem developers and non-developer users have for HTC for its relationship with its customers. Collectively, we also wish to make it clear that we acknowledge the risks involved with such a feature and understand that HTC cannot and will not be held liable for any faults caused through software modifications carried out by the end user. HTC reserves the right to refuse warranty repair on this basis providing sufficient evidence of user-induced damage is present.

We are also requesting that if HTC are to respond positively to this feature request that they would also make it clear that within the terms of their limited warranty and with the statutory rights of the consumer undisturbed they will not invalidate the limited warranty for instances of faults clearly arising from manufacturing errors. We would also request that any such statement would be clear and explicit in its terms without resorting to ambiguous terminology such as "may".

Sincerely,
    View signatories here: http://goo.gl/9a1pz
    Two words actually, the second one is "off"...
    I'm pretty sure they already know that thousands, possibly millions, of people want s-off. They just don't care.
    Yep, HTC doesn't seem to have any desire to give us s-off.

Spun out from a JELLIED and RENOVATED One X.

I wouldn't either if I were HTC. Just look around. You see hundreds of people who aren't smart enough to follow a simple tutorial and manage to brick their devices. Nah, better I stop here. This is not the right place to discuss.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium