Possible design flaw with HTC one bad reception

Search This thread

swishersweedz420

Nov 27, 2008
were you able to replicate this? i have to squeeze mine as hard as I can and I only lose 1 bar.

Sent from my HTCONE using xda premium

champ052005

Jun 18, 2009
So clearly the article states that minimal reception loss occurred when testing it...

So...you replicated it how exactly??

::cough:: bull**** ::cough::

swishersweedz420

Nov 27, 2008
So clearly the article states that minimal reception loss occurred when testing it...

So...you replicated it how exactly??

::cough:: bull**** ::cough::

the video said significant loss. i only lose 1 but I have to squeeze it hard. my evo 3d does the same. but who really squeezes their phone that hard.

Nativeazn612

Dec 3, 2012
Lawrence
I'm not trying to say bad things about the HTC one I love the hell out if this phone bought it when it first came out just saying POSSIBLE problem my phone dropped from full bars to one when tried it out

Sent from my HTCONE

Nativeazn612

Dec 3, 2012
Lawrence
.....so I guess a concern I thought that could be fixed some way is being flagged as Samsung lover.....that's nice of the community here........

Sent from my HTCONE

m03sizlak

Jun 28, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yes, mine also drops from full bars to 1 bar when I hold it like that. No squeezing necessary. With a case the problem is still there but not quite as bad. Regardless, it's not enough to really have any noticeable impact

Lauski

Aug 28, 2010
I've been told by multiple people that I've spoken to that I am "distant sounding" or "hard to hear" and I've been talking for years at home/work on my old phone without trouble. I naturally tried holding my phone with just the index finger and thumb on the edges and this has seemed to help, but I knew nothing about the ONE having problems, just a prior knowledge of antenna-gate.

Today we have this post and YouTube video and I can confirm what is being seen. More specifically though I go from -90 here inside a building with the two-finger grip and I go down to -105 when I palm it like in the video (no squeezing), as I normally hold it when talking on the phone.

(Sprint US Version)

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Update, additional info:

I was able to try with two co-worker's phones, both on Sprint. One of them an older HTC model, another from Motorola.

Both exhibit noticable signal drop from "cupping" the bottom of the phone with a grip like this.

BrianBaker

Dec 15, 2009
Apopka FL
Yeah.. I returned my One because of reception issues, mainly 4G...Voice seemed fine but 4G dropping to 3G killed this wonderful phone for me.. When my area is better saturated in LTE I will be buying the One again unless another phone is set to come out around that time.. Damn I miss that I.R. Blaster..

Sent from my Note II

benmatlock

Dec 20, 2012
I have been unable to replicate this

Sent from my rooted unlocked rommed HTC One, on the Sprint network.

mang0

Jan 12, 2012
San Diego
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6
I am also noticing a drop in 3G (5 bars down to 2) when I rest my palm against the bottom left corner of the phone. (San Diego area) I do, unfortunately, hold my phone this way, so I'll have to change that habit!

phillip1953

Nov 3, 2010
Pacific Northwest
There seems to be a problem with the design where if you hold the phone in a particular position you lose reception. This article gives an idea. I too can replicate this signal loss
Sent from my HTCONE http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/04/29/antennagate-plagues-htc-one-video/

This feature is a patent owned by Apple. For the HTC One to do this would be a blatant violation. ;)

Your link came down to this; two guys on AT&T and one guy on Sprint. Sounds like a widespread problem, eh?

Sent via my Nexus 7, Amiga 3000 or HTC EVO 3D

Last edited:
Reactions: twist

Vincent Law

Jun 7, 2010
Extensive testing on my own showed that the signal bar up top is mostly meaningless. A single bar when gripping the phone resulted in no measurable loss in 3G speeds nor phone call quality, after repeating the test several times, compared to 5 bars. I was also able to make calls (and drop them) in the same areas as before, thus no perceived loss in range.

Tilde88

Nov 5, 2008
Extensive testing on my own showed that the signal bar up top is mostly meaningless. A single bar when gripping the phone resulted in no measurable loss in 3G speeds nor phone call quality, after repeating the test several times, compared to 5 bars. I was also able to make calls (and drop them) in the same areas as before, thus no perceived loss in range.

this thread is funny. seeing as how this is a developers site, and every is acting like users :p
i kid i kid.
but no, seriously... why is everyone looking at bars? forget the bars... stop being lazy and gave me your dbms!

for example, if you are at -45, and you 'apple-hold' it, and it goes to -120dbm, then we have issues. If it goes to -59dbm, then stop complaining, as many users have noted, bars mean nothing, not even in in-call quality terms. Those bars, to us... only indicate 1x signal. Remember we are using the HD Voice stuff now... which, unless I am wrong, operate on the 800mhz spectrum or something like that. not quite sure about that last part so don't quote me; im a little 'foggy atm' to be light. but certainly, bars mean nothing...

Slight update, using ##DEBUG#, in the 1x section, the signal goes from ~85dbm to ~113dm... so i guess that's bad, except for #1, it was already bad to begin with #2, big whoop its only 1X... anyway, ##INFO# isnt working so im looking for a dbm monitor as we speak. ill report back

Update:
Ok, the app is called Network Signal Info, by Kabits Software. It is really good, and free, and in the Play store. There is indeed a drop in my EHRPD connectoin (3g). It goes from ~83dbm to ~103dbm. Which is a drop of ~20dmbs. A little less drastic than the 1X drop of ~30dbm... But still may (keyword) be noticeable in certain situations, if you hold it a certain way. So, yea... It certainly happens, but I don't see it as an emergency problem, though it should be addressed by HTC at some point. This was done in my room, where reception is not the purdiest. Ill go outside.

Last edited:

BrianBaker

Dec 15, 2009
Apopka FL
Bars or no bars.. For me it was simple.. I didn't have 4G in areas with the One that I did with my other phone.. So it went back.

Sent from my Note II

Top Liked Posts