Would You Guys Still Recommend the Nexus 5?

Search This thread
D

Darth

It depends on the person. I don't care what anyone says, the Nexus line is lagging behind. The only thing that separated it from other OEM flagship phones was the fact that the OS was 100x better. But we are starting to see companies improve on Android, whether it be Motorola, HTC or even the questionable TouchWiz from Samsung. So who do I recommend the Nexus line to and those that I don't?

If for some reason you can't get a good plan. A lot of the times there is only 1 network in a certain area, and they force higher prices on the people. Especially if you sign a contract. The Nexus price tag gives you some leverage; then again the Moto G also gives you the same leverage.

If you are really into the update as soon as possible, I can understand the joy my fellow Nexus users get when there is a new update waiting for them...but for a lot of smartphones it really isn't needed. I only say this, because it is fully recognized that Google has started to detract from updating Android as frequently so there is less fragmentation. So there is no real added benefit from being in the Nexus program anymore for this reason...but some people still choose to focus on that point.

But the majority of the time, I don't suggest the Nexus line to most other people. Why? For the vast consumer base, rooting and what not is really not that fun. So why wouldn't I suggest it?
1. The camera. Google is not a "hardware" manufacturer. So the camera implementation and any other hardware implementation tends to be half baked and not as good as any other smart phone out there. [Even with the new updated camera]
2. There are no features. Yes...I said it. If what you want is a media consumption device...you don't look at the Nexus line. You look at HTC with boom sound speakers. If you want a good camera, look at the Lumia or S5. Each suggestion is based on what someone really wants.

Honestly, I love my Nexus 5. But it does feel like Google focuses on the software [which is understandable] tells and OEM to put a low budge phone together and throws that software into the phone. It feels like OEMs with flagship smartphones put more effort and thought into their phones and it translates over. So yes and no. I would suggest it...but only to a very few people, lol.

I never recommend the N5 to "normal" users. Why?? They want the frills the other phones offer. They don't care or know about root. They don't care about update times. They want stable...and features.

At the moment, just from experience...with mostly touchwiz and the moto x.....the moto x is my go to recommended phone. ;)

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
I never recommend the N5 to "normal" users. Why?? They want the frills the other phones offer. They don't care or know about root. They don't care about update times. They want stable...and features.

At the moment, just from experience...with mostly touchwiz and the moto x.....the moto x is my go to recommended phone. ;)

Touchwiz is as ugly as the sammy phone designs! The new touchwiz makes me wanna puke! :silly:
After experiencing stock android experience, I will never switch to any other!
@shac0

First of all Google doesn't manufacture the Nexus 5, LG does. LOL.
The camera on the Nexus 5 is great! Take a look at those threads in the General forum and see for yourself. You just need to know how to shoot it. However, no doubt it doesn't match up to the s5's camera! :cyclops:

How can anybody expect boom sound dual frontal speakers with 16mp camera on a $350 phone? I don't think the extra $200-300 premium is worth paying for those speakers/camera. May be because I'm not into too much photography and only take about 2-3 pics a day.
As for the media playback, the Nexus 5's speaker is decent and with a good sound mod like V4A, it becomes SWEET!

That being said, Nexuses aren't for everyone as @kj2112 said... Those who love Custom ROM Development and try a lot of new things and want quick updates usually buy Nexus devices and the slight trade off in hardware is acceptable when you look at that price tag! :D

Reactions: bblzd

shac0

Jun 18, 2013
Touchwiz is as ugly as the sammy phone designs! The new touchwiz makes me wanna puke! :silly:

@shac0

The camera on the Nexus 5 is great! Take a look at those threads in the General forum and see for yourself. You just need to know how to shoot it. However, no doubt it doesn't match up to the s5's camera! :cyclops:

How can anybody expect boom sound dual frontal speakers with 16mp camera on a $350 phone? I don't think the extra $200-300 premium is worth paying for those speakers/camera. May be because I'm not into too much photography and only take about 2-3 pics a day.
As for the media playback, the Nexus 5's speaker is decent and with a good sound mod like V4A, it becomes SWEET!

That being said, Nexuses aren't for everyone as @kj2112 said... Those who love Custom ROM Development and try a lot of new things and want quick updates usually buy Nexus devices and the slight trade off in hardware is acceptable when you look at that price tag! :D

I don't think I said Google manufactured the Nexus 5 lol..if I did oops. :p

The camera on the Nexus 5 is okay in well lit areas. If it isn't well lit, well then you start to notice large amounts of noise. And I mean any room that doesn't have proper lighting will experience terrible camera quality. It's expected from smart phones, but I have used a lot of other smart phones that don't have the noise issues.

Most typically people are on contract. If you aren't going to be on contract the Nexus 5 is a decent option. But there are other phones like the Moto g, Moto X, Find 7 etc. I love my Nexus 5, but there are flaws with it. If I was on contract, I would definitely get a better phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    noun: troll; plural noun: trolls
    (informal)
    1. a deliberately provocative online posting intended to incite an angry response.
    2. a person who submits such a deliberately provocative posting.

Yeah, that's pretty much dicecuber's M.O.
    Try to get a refund. Not worth

Sent from my Nexus 5

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Plus, why would you pay full retail for a phone from October 2013 that's outdated

Sent from my Nexus 5

Not sure if troll... It came out at the very end of October, so it's only about 5 months old. Still the best pure Android experience available.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    Not sure if it was here that I said it, but whatever I buy will only be to hold me out until the Moto X2 in September (unless I'm absolutely in love with what I get). I usually have a 6-12month upgrade cycle, so I'm used to cycling phones :p

This is a great phone. I can easily operate it one handed. Battery life if you know what you're doing is very good. It's fast and the dev support is off the charts. With that said if I had the money and was buying a phone in the next few weeks I'd go with the M8 Dev Edition. That phone looks really impressive. If it's just about getting you through until the X2 why not get through with the latest and greatest?
    I would reco this phone.
    1. - It's only $350 w/o contract
    2. - That allows me to go to a pre-paid plan and save $400/year
    3. - Phone looks cool, is fast, and works perfect
    4. - You don't have to wait years for each OS upgrade

@shac0