[Q] About different N3 models

Search This thread

dp_alvarez

May 5, 2014
Hey people,
I'm planning on getting a galaxy note 3, but I'm kind of confused about the different model numbers (n9000, n9005, etc). I have read this post and it did help, but I'm still unsure of which model to get.
I will buy the phone in USA and bring it to Brazil to use it over here, so it seems the N9005 would be the best since it is the only one to support the 4G frequency used in Brazil.
However, it is written there that the N900W8 has a 'happy' bootloader (what exactly does that mean?), and I think I saw somewhere that the N900T was the best version for hacking. I'm more worried about having the best version to play with than 4G compatibility, but if the difference between models is not that big I will get the N9005.

So, what exactly are the differences between N9005, N900W8 and N900T and which version is the best one to hack around? Do all of them have an unlocked/unlockable bootloader?
I'm also worried about region lock, but if I'm not mistaken even if I do get a model that is region locked, it is quite easy to remove the lock and use it anywhere right?

Last edited:
May 4, 2014
Hey people,
I'm planning on getting a galaxy note 3, but I'm kind of confused about the different model numbers (n9000, n9005, etc). I have read this post and it did help, but I'm still unsure of which model to get.
I will buy the phone in USA and bring it to Brazil to use it over here, so it seems the N9005 would be the best since it is the only one to support the 4G frequency used in Brazil.
However, it is written there that the N900W8 has a 'happy' bootloader (what exactly does that mean?), and I think I saw somewhere that the N900T was the best version for hacking. I'm more worried about having the best version to play with than 4G compatibility, but if the difference between models is not that big I will get the N9005.

So, what exactly are the differences between N9005, N900W8 and N900T and which version is the best one to hack around? Do all of them have an unlocked/unlockable bootloader?
I'm also worried about region lock, but if I'm not mistaken even if I do get a model that is region locked, it is quite easy to remove the lock and use it anywhere right?

I'm not an expert so this is my best understanding, but not solid certainty:
N9000 = no 4G/LTE. I believe they've managed to reverse Knox on this one.
N9002 = dual sim card support. Haven't heard much else about this one.
N900W8 = I actually have no idea what distinguishes this model... I haven't really heard of it except for reading that yes it can be downgraded from 4.4 back to 4.3 apparently.
N900P/N900A/N900T/etc = Different versions of the N9005 as far as I understand. Be warned that they support different 4G frequencies, and the N900P (Sprint) only supports 1 band in 4G. Check this before you buy. Frustratingly, the N900P is also the only version of the Note 3 that has a real, old-school, FM tuner built in.
N9005 = Seems to be the best/default that everyone goes for, but I might be wrong.

Reactions: Alyseon

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

I think N9005 is the only one that will get LTE in Brazil. N900W8 is friendlier to hacking (knox can be easily fooled and downgrade 4.4 -> 4.3 is possible). N900T is more usable inside US on T-Mobile and AT&T.

The region lock might be a problem under certain scenarios - I think that RegionLockAway (needs root) might only work with older baseband (but I have not tested personally).

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
As a holder of an N900W8, I can tell you about the "happy" bootloader.

It is the only phone with an untrippable KNOX counter when trying to root or custom ROM on the latest firmware. Now you have to be on the Canadian version (not the Mexican version) and not attempt to downgrade the firmware or else you will trip it, but anything else would allow for rooting or flashing without breaking your warranty.

Hence this is the best for hacking. It has identical specs with N900T but that has a trippable bootloader.

They all have an unlocked bootloader except N900A or other American variants. You should look for a variant closer to your country so you don't have to worry about unlocking the SIM.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: dp_alvarez

dp_alvarez

May 5, 2014
So it pretty much comes down to either the N9005 or the N900W8.
I don't really care about tripping KNOX since I will buy the phone with no warranty, is there any other downside to tripping KNOX than loosing the warranty?
Also, the N900W8 is better for hacking for now, but that is not because it is inherently better, it just happens to be better for now because someone found a exploit for that particular model, is that right? Or it is fundamentally different in a way that it will probably always be the most hackable model?

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I don't really care about tripping KNOX since I will buy the phone with no warranty, is there any other downside to tripping KNOX than loosing the warranty?
Also, the N900W8 is better for hacking for now, but that is not because it is inherently better, it just happens to be better for now because someone found a exploit for that particular model, is that right? Or it is fundamentally different in a way that it will probably always be the most hackable model?

Then the knox-friendliness of the W8 is not so relevant to you.

The N9005 has LTE in Brazil, W8 does not.

IMHO to make the best decision you must investigate the region-locking and unlocking on both. I believe there is actually an N9005 that is supposed to be for the region of Brazil (so it needs no region-unlocking) but it might be only sold by specific carriers with LTE there.

Reactions: dp_alvarez

dp_alvarez

May 5, 2014
I looked around and the N9005 is the version used in Brazil, and USA is in the same region as Brazil. So if it works in USA it should work here in Brazil too.
N9005 america region is it then, thanks a lot everyone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey people,

I'm not an expert so this is my best understanding, but not solid certainty:
    N9000 = no 4G/LTE. I believe they've managed to reverse Knox on this one.
    N9002 = dual sim card support. Haven't heard much else about this one.
    N900W8 = I actually have no idea what distinguishes this model... I haven't really heard of it except for reading that yes it can be downgraded from 4.4 back to 4.3 apparently.
    N900P/N900A/N900T/etc = Different versions of the N9005 as far as I understand. Be warned that they support different 4G frequencies, and the N900P (Sprint) only supports 1 band in 4G. Check this before you buy. Frustratingly, the N900P is also the only version of the Note 3 that has a real, old-school, FM tuner built in.
    N9005 = Seems to be the best/default that everyone goes for, but I might be wrong.
    As a holder of an N900W8, I can tell you about the "happy" bootloader.

It is the only phone with an untrippable KNOX counter when trying to root or custom ROM on the latest firmware. Now you have to be on the Canadian version (not the Mexican version) and not attempt to downgrade the firmware or else you will trip it, but anything else would allow for rooting or flashing without breaking your warranty.

Hence this is the best for hacking. It has identical specs with N900T but that has a trippable bootloader.

They all have an unlocked bootloader except N900A or other American variants. You should look for a variant closer to your country so you don't have to worry about unlocking the SIM.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Then the knox-friendliness of the W8 is not so relevant to you.

The N9005 has LTE in Brazil, W8 does not.

IMHO to make the best decision you must investigate the region-locking and unlocking on both. I believe there is actually an N9005 that is supposed to be for the region of Brazil (so it needs no region-unlocking) but it might be only sold by specific carriers with LTE there.