Android is "working" on Polaris | siraloP no "gnikrow" si diordnA

Search This thread

be_vigilant

Dec 23, 2006
Wakefield
Latest andoid .cab

For anyone wanting to try the latest version out I created a .cab file for an easy install

All credit to !!premy/dubbeldd00!!

http://www.4shared.com/file/52853318/ad0538e1/Polaris_Android.html
Install to device memory not SD card ;-)
Once the .cab is installed you can easily update andoid by just dumping the latest zimage from these talented people into program files\android directory.

---
The radio seems to be working OK for me. It reports it as G and I only ever seem to get one bar.

I added a contact and dialed it. It dialed 100%
The call came through the loud speaker.

I tried to hang up and it confused me! Android disabled the touch screen so I couldnt press on hang up. You have to scroll through to hang up using the dial pad.

Incoming call was OK too. It displayed on screen "incoming call". No rington was played (i guess as sound isnt configured yet) I could answer the call. Again the sound came out of the loud speaker on my polaris.

Tried to SMS and the application just hung.
I am using udK Latest diamond rom

Last edited:
For anyone wanting to try the latest version out I created a .cab file for an easy install

All credit to !!premy/dubbeldd00!!

http://www.4shared.com/file/52853318/ad0538e1/Polaris_Android.html
Install to device memory not SD card ;-)
Once the .cab is installed you can easily update andoid by just dumping the latest zimage from these talented people into program files\android directory.

---
The radio seems to be working OK for me. It reports it as G and I only ever seem to get one bar. Not tried making a call yet.
I am using udK Latest diamond rom
Android is booting on first attempt! Can't place outgoing calls though...
I managed to add a contact but when I dial it nothing happens...
But the looks are amazing!! Way better than the borring wm imho :D

Great Work everyone!!! Hope we can get it up and running soon!!!

hawk eye tim

Oct 17, 2007
Hi
I have been trying to get Android working for weeks now but have no luck it always freezes on the booting Linux window. The only version which works is the original vogue version.
Would my ASERG ROM somehow prevent it working. What ROM are most of you using.

Would love to start playing.

Thanks

Tim

Tried hard resetting but still had same problem so decided to try udK ROM and its sorted the problem. Android now works each and every time.

Time to start playing.

WinMB2

Oct 7, 2006
Thanks, Incoming call works.

thanks to dubbeld00, premy and everyone else for such a great board.

I've been testing for a while. The latest image from Premy works well.
Incoming call works!!!
for Outgoing call, I've not been able to add contacts, I'll try later.

What about GPRS connection and WiFi ? has anyone tried?

I'm also planning to build this week end.. I've the instructions from dubbeld00's (thnx for creating website as well) previous posts (any updates to that...?)

I'll have some time to work on it...

thanks,
WinMB2 :)

thanks to dubbeld00, premy and everyone else for such a great board.

I've been testing for a while. The latest image from Premy works well.
Incoming call works!!!
for Outgoing call, I've not been able to add contacts, I'll try later.

What about GPRS connection and WiFi ? has anyone tried?

I'm also planning to build this week end.. I've the instructions from dubbeld00's (thnx for creating website as well) previous posts (any updates to that...?)

thanks,

To add contacts use the GPS hard button (the one under the green one :D )
edit: Anyone found out how to exit android without softresetting?

WinMB2

Oct 7, 2006
Incoming call works!! Can't disconnect

Incoming call notification is displayed, can accept call. Call establishes, audio is clear.
Can't disconnect the call ; touch screen red soft-button doesn't take action.
Other party disconnect is not recognized;
the green off-hook notification icon is displayed on the top bar.

The Kaiser / Vogue had some suggestion on getting GPRS working with command line options in default.txt.
Any ideas on the getting GPRS working on Polaris as well?

How can we add contact for outgoing calls? I got to the contacts menu, there is no keyboard on Polaris? Is the touch-screen based kb working? How do I launch it?

thanks,

be_vigilant

Dec 23, 2006
Wakefield
Incoming call notification is displayed, can accept call. Call establishes, audio is clear.

The Kaiser / Vogue had some suggestion on getting GPRS working with command line options in default.txt.

How can we add contact for outgoing calls? I got to the contacts menu, there is no keyboard on Polaris? Is the touch-screen based kb working? How do I launch it?

thanks,

You can hang up by scrolling through the buttons on screen using the dial wheel. The touch screen is disabled which in a call.

thanks,
Go to the contacts screen and Press the GPS button (under the green one) select new contact then press camera button to launch the keyboard. When you are done press the gps button again and select Done!

dubbeld00

Mar 8, 2008

thanks,

Had the flue (was sick) for a week, so didn't make real progress at it... the "how to develop" page is usable http://android.v-dh.nl/?m=Docs&id=3. I will try to get the site completely up this weekend. If you find a typo on the page, please don't report it... you can modify it yourself when I'm finished with the page (just like wikipedia)

dvdtech

Oct 8, 2007
hey are successful launch it after several attempts work the calls in incoming and outgoing. after few minutes calls incoming down.

Fabrizio

Polaris rom italian official

dubbeld00

Mar 8, 2008
For the last time; things you can do when Android doesn't boot:
- Turn off bluetooth
- Turn off 3g mode
- Turn off GPS
- Close every program
- Your battery must be fully loaded
- Connect your device to your PC
- Turn ON phone mode

Also use a ROM like Vega R3; the Diamond doesn't always work. This will give you the highest chance of booting Android. (The battery thing really seems to work).

maximos86

Oct 21, 2007
For the last time; things you can do when Android doesn't boot:
- Turn off bluetooth
- Turn off 3g mode
- Turn off GPS
- Close every program
- Your battery must be fully loaded
- Connect your device to your PC
- Turn ON phone mode

Also use a ROM like Vega R3; the Diamond doesn't always work. This will give you the highest chance of booting Android. (The battery thing really seems to work).

i had all of these covered except the battery thing...:p

edit:
after trying with all these it still didnt boot

Last edited:

Skywalker74

Jan 30, 2008
AndroidGlobalTime looks promising

Thank's for the cab file. Android boots like a charm on my Polaris.

I found this article on the Internet:
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2008/05/androidglobaltime.html

(Article explains what can be done with the application AndroidGlobalTime)

Is this the first time that we see OpenGL ES accelerated graphics on Polaris?

It looks quite nice and you can spin the Earth realy fast. :)
Try some comands like L (lights) or zoom in/out: 2 and 8.
(Keyboard --> camera button)

dubbeld00

Mar 8, 2008
Is this the first time that we see OpenGL ES accelerated graphics on Polaris?

It's only software though, the "3d-driver" (CONFIG_MSM_HW3D) isn't compiled... But compare it with Aero on Windows Vista, which will only work on a expensive 3d card, and Compiz Fusion, which will work on a cheap onboard video card.

So yes it's extremely fast, but it's based on software, not on hardware :)

Last edited:

dubbeld00

Mar 8, 2008
There are constantly changes to the git, using the command "git pull" you can get the latest changes from the linux kernel, it will show you how many changes there were into the git.

Real changes to our platform are done by Premy, the only thing the "gotolinux" developers do is change things like the grapic driver and sound driver.

In short:
- Premy (apply patch file): makes big changes to our platform (Polaris) (platform changes (only affects Polaris type machines))
- Gotolinux (git pull): makes small changes (like an improved video driver) (global changes (affects all MSM type machines))

In reality this is a bit different (in the feauture premy will also post his changes onto the gotolinux or android git) but this is how we are developing at the moment.

Here you can find more information about how to patch and get the latest git: http://android.v-dh.nl/?m=Docs&id=3#patching

AdamR78

Oct 14, 2006
I can't get the cab file to work... Tried all the suggestions in the thread, even changed my ROM to R3 Vega. Haret launches to what appears to be close to a 100%, and then nothing happens...

bunex

Mar 11, 2008
Hello AdamR78

Here is some Room who was tested by me.

1.Not good for Android in my case:
- Aserg 4.1
- Mr.PhamQuang v22, v23
2. Good For Android
- Bepe Rom WWE 0.67 Opera ( launch and run well touch work well not a test if i can make a phone call just I was hapy to see Android run ).

Have a nice day for testing.