Type password to decrypt storage?

Search This thread

dejrfan

Apr 9, 2011
I've had my Nexus S for a year now and it's been pretty problem free... When it had Gingerbread it had the odd reboot glitch but since ICS it's been solid. I have the bootloader unlocked and had root. I had tried out a couple of custom ROMs and had gone back to stock ICS in anticipation of JB rolling out in July. I got the OTA push of JB in mid July and after a factory refresh have had no problems with the phone until yesterday.
I was typing a text message and my phone rebooted in my hand. It never did complete booting and left me at a prompt that stated "Type password to decrypt storage" and nothing would make this phone boot! Also, since the JB update I no longer had root and Clockwork Recovery no longer worked because I didn't have root... which I wasn't worried about up until now. I had to tether the phone to my laptop reset Recovery using the SDK tools and then wipe everything and reset the phone and reinstall all my apps. Funny thing is I've not been able to find much about this from any of the forums I read frequently... seems there aren't many who have experienced this.
Just wondering if anyone else has run into it...

Reactions: jhoi03

hajjat

Jun 12, 2009
Same thing happened to my Nexus S. I have no idea how it came into this "type password to decrypt storage" damned state. I'm trying all passwords and PINs I know but none is working! I'm trying to avoid a factory reset.... Isn't there a way to log in and override this thing, something like forgotten password in emails???

Last edited:

kooske

Jun 22, 2011
I'm facing the same issue: woke up this morning to find my phone asking for a password in order to decrypt storage. Very annoying, since I don't have a very recent backup.

Running CM10.1 nightly 0210 with stock CM kernel. I tried reinstalling CM and wiping cache, but that didn't help. I'll see if I can fix it and and will repost here if/how I fixed it.

Last edited:

kooske

Jun 22, 2011
I'll see if I can fix it and and will repost here if/how I fixed it.

It seems that there is no other solution for this other than a wipe data/factory reset. It's the solution offered in a googleGroups discussion as well. (Can't post links yet, not enough posts...)

Luckily after re-installing ROM and gapps all my apps were restored, and I was able to extract all my pictures and some backups on the sdcard using the mount USB option in CWM. So no big data loss for me.

It's a strange issue though, and should've been solved long ago. First occurrence I found was somewhere in February 2012, that's a year ago!

Natausha

Feb 24, 2013
HELP!

I just had the same thing happen to my phone. Can you please dumb down what you just said for me? The only part I care about is how to recover my pictures. I haven't done the factory reset yet as I've been trying every password I can think of and now see that it is a bug and not something I have done. Anyway, I have 3 gigs of pictures of my 18 month old that I will cry if I lose so if you can help me recover them I would really appreciate it. I have tried hooking my phone up to my computer in it's encrypted state and it does not register. Please explain what you did in simplified terms for me as I have no idea what ROM or CWM means. Thanks!

It seems that there is no other solution for this other than a wipe data/factory reset. It's the solution offered in a googleGroups discussion as well. (Can't post links yet, not enough posts...)

Luckily after re-installing ROM and gapps all my apps were restored, and I was able to extract all my pictures and some backups on the sdcard using the mount USB option in CWM. So no big data loss for me.

It's a strange issue though, and should've been solved long ago. First occurrence I found was somewhere in February 2012, that's a year ago!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've had my Nexus S for a year now and it's been pretty problem free... When it had Gingerbread it had the odd reboot glitch but since ICS it's been solid. I have the bootloader unlocked and had root. I had tried out a couple of custom ROMs and had gone back to stock ICS in anticipation of JB rolling out in July. I got the OTA push of JB in mid July and after a factory refresh have had no problems with the phone until yesterday.
    I was typing a text message and my phone rebooted in my hand. It never did complete booting and left me at a prompt that stated "Type password to decrypt storage" and nothing would make this phone boot! Also, since the JB update I no longer had root and Clockwork Recovery no longer worked because I didn't have root... which I wasn't worried about up until now. I had to tether the phone to my laptop reset Recovery using the SDK tools and then wipe everything and reset the phone and reinstall all my apps. Funny thing is I've not been able to find much about this from any of the forums I read frequently... seems there aren't many who have experienced this.
    Just wondering if anyone else has run into it...