Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

Search This thread

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Any idea about price? Also, bump! Why would anyone not want this kernel for our device?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

I'm not sure. DerTeufel found a device locally for 599 euros and is willing to chip in 100 euros. I don't know why people aren't more interested in this functionality. I have considered opening threads in the Sprint and T-Mobile forums. The N7100/N7105 forums have been silent and the Verizon forum has only negative comments about donations... I sent a PM to DerTeufel to see what he thinks.

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently >$310.00

I'll take a look today, if there is a way, to get a used one for less money. (eBay...)

Also, i totally understand if one does not want to donate before the work is done, i just can't pay for this device. I am still visiting university and having family with two kids. If I would spend my little money for a phone instead of my family, I am sure, I would not have a family any longer. So, sorry. But buying the device myself is no option for me.

If you guys get me the money for it, I really would be proud to develop for it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
I'll take a look today, if there is a way, to get a used one for less money. (eBay...)

Also, i totally understand if one does not want to donate before the work is done, i just can't pay for this device. I am still visiting university and having family with two kids. If I would spend my little money for a phone instead of my family, I am sure, I would not have a family any longer. So, sorry. But buying the device myself is no option for me.

If you guys get me the money for it, I really would be proud to develop for it.

I changed the OP to see if anyone would even consider $5.00. I will update my donation to $75.00 as soon as I see someone else offer a donation.

Reactions: btpd21

btpd21

May 23, 2011
New York
Re: Would you risk donating $5.00 for dual-boot capability?

I changed the OP to see if anyone would even consider $5.00. I will update my donation to $75.00 as soon as I see someone else offer a donation.

Please guys? It doesn't seem fair that he will be building this kernel for the whole community when its less than 10 people putting cash forward. Please consider even a small donation if you plan on using this ever or just want to support a hard working dev. I used to be part of the Samsung infuse community and they were able to donate devices to 5 or more devs. This is a great community with a lot of potential, so please help out!

mr mystery

Nov 20, 2010
Brampton

Forgive my ignorance here, but what would we be dual booting to?

Sent from my Note 2

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Forgive my ignorance here, but what would we be dual booting to?

Sent from my Note 2

It would be your choice of ROMs compatible with the kernel(s) that TerDeufel1980 would create. Until he has the device and works on it, he won't know if it would be 2 different TW ROMs or 2 different AOSP ROMs or perhaps 1 of each if he can swap kernels during the dual-boot process. The second or "alternate" ROM will need some configuration, etc. I dual-boot my kindle fire using the modaco build (close to stock) for the default boot which was packaged specifically to flash to the "alternate" partition. I then can flash any other ROM not specially configured into the "primary" partition. The dual-boot loader is modified to make the alternate as the default. I don't know how it will work for our device but you can look at DerTeufel's dual-boot thread for the Captivate - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2135091
Our device is a lot newer so I am guessing he will have more flexibility in what he can do.

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
I'm not sure that your total value is accurate. I got much higher than what you got. You may want to recount

Thanks - I'm not counting PxDroid86 yet since I don't think that amount will be sent until after the dual-boot is created. I'm looking for enough for DerTeufel to purchase the device initially. I may change the OP to gather "after the fact" donations and make a "loan" of sorts by sending a large amount of front and DerTeufel will send an agreed-upon amount back to me when he receives the "after the fact donations". I'm trying to limit that "up front" loan though since I have to clear it with the wife... :D

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011

Thanks - I'm not counting PxDroid86 yet since I don't think that amount will be sent until after the dual-boot is created. I'm looking for enough for DerTeufel to purchase the device initially. I may change the OP to gather "after the fact" donations and make a "loan" of sorts by sending a large amount of front and DerTeufel will send an agreed-upon amount back to me when he receives the "after the fact donations". I'm trying to limit that "up front" loan though since I have to clear it with the wife... :D

Yesterday a two months old device ended at ebay for 402€. Of course no one knows how much it would have been if I had bid for it, too.
Next one ending in 4 days.

btpd21

May 23, 2011
New York

Yesterday a two months old device ended at ebay for 402€. Of course no one knows how much it would have been if I had bid for it, too.
Next one ending in 4 days.

Without the $100 after the fact, our current total is $375

stinkeye22

Dec 27, 2011
Panama City

I'll chip in $10 just for the hell of it, after Friday. (Payday) but here's my question on this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2164936

[Q] Is a dual carrier Galaxy Note II possible?. I'd definitely scrape up more for that!

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT

???
This is how I calculate the amount. I am not counting DerTeufel's amount that he is chipping in because I already subtracted 150 euros from 500 to get the "target" amount of $462.00 (350*1.32).

75+25+10+50+10+29+25+10+5=$239 as I listed in the OP. I know there were some donations listed today but I will update tonight. If DerTeufel can find one cheaper then the "target" becomes less. I will talk with the wife about making the "loan" tonight. She isn't into phones, etc and doesn't get my "obsession" :) so I will need to be "creative" and "influential" to make sure she doesn't mind too much. We run any significant expense by each other - it keeps the peace...

$75 - RichMD
$25 - ceo.mtcl
$10 - rayandreas
$50 - mocsab
>=$10 - trism@jtype.net
$29 - btpd21
$25 - Jamice4u
$10 - Shinkinrui
$5 - Muqali

btpd21

May 23, 2011
New York

???
This is how I calculate the amount. I am not counting DerTeufel's amount that he is chipping in because I already subtracted 150 euros from 500 to get the "target" amount of $462.00 (350*1.32).

75+25+10+50+10+29+25+10+5=$239 as I listed in the OP. I know there were some donations listed today but I will update tonight. If DerTeufel can find one cheaper then the "target" becomes less. I will talk with the wife about making the "loan" tonight. She isn't into phones, etc and doesn't get my "obsession" :) so I will need to be "creative" and "influential" to make sure she doesn't mind too much. We run any significant expense by each other - it keeps the peace...

$75 - RichMD
$25 - ceo.mtcl
$10 - rayandreas
$50 - mocsab
>=$10 - trism@jtype.net
$29 - btpd21
$25 - Jamice4u
$10 - Shinkinrui
$5 - Muqali

I was including DerTeufel's. Haha sorry for the misunderstanding. I think we can get enough donations to do this without waiting too much longer!

Reactions: RichMD

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT

I was including DerTeufel's. Haha sorry for the misunderstanding. I think we can get enough donations to do this without waiting too much longer!

Agreed. I will float the idea of the loan tonight right after I deliver some good news... :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

btpd21

May 23, 2011
New York
Re: I will loan the rest - Please include donation promises for AFTER dual-boot works

Updated OP that I will loan the remainder.

This guy is the man. Now everyone else needs to chip in a couple of bucks! If RichMD is willing to loan the rest we need to keep his wife happy with him!

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Donation sent: 62A75256HR1198216

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
This guy is the man. Now everyone else needs to chip in a couple of bucks! If RichMD is willing to loan the rest we need to keep his wife happy with him!

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Donation sent: 62A75256HR1198216

Thanks for your support. :D

Captivate-me

Oct 19, 2010
Re: I will loan the rest - Please include donation promises for AFTER dual-boot works

I will make a $5-10 contribution this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: RichMD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
    The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
    $25 - ceo.mtcl
    PAID - $10 - rayandreas
    PAID - $50 - mocsab
    >=$10 - trism@jtype.net
    PAID - $29 - btpd21
    PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
    PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
    PAID - $5 - muqali
    PAID - $10 - rlee008
    $5 - kingP1n
    $5 - deviusdragger
    $5 - lovekeiiy
    PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
    PAID - $5 ristiisa
    PAID - $10 Grant Barker
    ** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
    ** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
    ** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
    ** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p
    OP Updated

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :D
    Re: Device obtained on 3/7 - Dual-boot kernel work has begun

I'd be glad to help ;)

Please try this kernel. It's not dualboot yet, but it works on aosp as well as sammy roms.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0x183pzim3w9tl4

Please use trickster mod for setting up all the options.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7105 mit Tapatalk 2
    Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently $50

Thank you very much for your effort. It's highly appreciated :)
    I don't know much about the note 2 yet.
    I know, it's similar to the S3 devices. Are there also different versions, like at&t or international? If so, are there big differences?

Edit: lol. I just realised, that I am already writing in the at&t section. Ok, how about the differences? Are there kernels working for at&t as well as international?

Btw: if this thread really is going to get me the device, ill pay 100 € myself, as I was going to get a new device within the next few months (i preferred nexus 4).