Strange Xperia ZL 6506, pre-production prototype?

Search This thread

motoridersd

Jul 21, 2008
San Diego
Google Pixel Watch 2
What do you think?

IMG_20130831_155015_zpsa50a8c11.jpg

Notice anything different?

Got it off a guy on craigslist who said he bought it for $550. It's a C6506 according to the stock ROM, but the camera is broken. Colors come out wrong (reds look blue, and the photos look like black and white). Will try and get it fixed under warranty.

maclancer

Jan 9, 2011
What do you think?

IMG_20130831_155015_zpsa50a8c11.jpg

Notice anything different?

Got it off a guy on craigslist who said he bought it for $550. It's a C6506 according to the stock ROM, but the camera is broken. Colors come out wrong (reds look blue, and the photos look like black and white). Will try and get it fixed under warranty.

The only thing different from the pic is the position of the speaker... How much he is selling for?

Sent from my C6506 using xda app-developers app

maclancer

Jan 9, 2011
Exactly. I hadn't noticed until we tried to put my case on it and my friend noticed it. I don't think any ZL's have a different speaker position. I bought it for $260

I was also thinking that it could be another type of Xperia phone designed with the speaker like that.

motoridersd

Jul 21, 2008
San Diego
Google Pixel Watch 2
I was also thinking that it could be another type of Xperia phone designed with the speaker like that.

Hmm, maybe, but it did say C6506 under model in the Timescape ROM. I unlocked the bootloader and put CM 10.2 on it. I tried to test my Tmo SIM in it but it didn't get a signal. Not even EDGE, so I think I just didn't let it try long enough. A network search only showed AT&T, but my friend is using it with Telcel in Tijuana without a problem, so it definitely supports HSPA+ 850.

It is possible though that the guy that I bought it from just flashed a C6506 FTF on it.

ImAnurag

Aug 10, 2011
New Delhi
GizmoBolt.com
Google Pixel 2 XL
Hmm, maybe, but it did say C6506 under model in the Timescape ROM. I unlocked the bootloader and put CM 10.2 on it. I tried to test my Tmo SIM in it but it didn't get a signal. Not even EDGE, so I think I just didn't let it try long enough. A network search only showed AT&T, but my friend is using it with Telcel in Tijuana without a problem, so it definitely supports HSPA+ 850.

It is possible though that the guy that I bought it from just flashed a C6506 FTF on it.

Post about phone and software info screenshots please...
Run AnTuTu benchmark check once post details here...notice the difference from other Xperia Zl handset.

Sent from my C6602 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

lee480

Jun 24, 2012
Does your IMEI number start with 0044?
If it does, well done, you've a rare prototype unit.

Sent from my LT28h using xda app-developers app

pazhope

Sep 3, 2013
Post about phone and software info screenshots please...
Run AnTuTu benchmark check once post details here...notice the difference from other Xperia Zl handset.

Sent from my C6602 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

2013-09-02-2.png

2013-09-02.png

Screenshot_2013-09-02-23-41-10.png

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

I just post some screenshots, please let me know if you need anything else.

At this point I am doing some research trying to fix the camera, I have seen the 13MP camera for this phone sells for 38 usd, do you guys thing that may solve the problem?

thanks

Last edited:

xanovfr

Apr 3, 2012
2013-09-02-2.png

2013-09-02.png

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

At this point I am doing some research trying to fix the camera, I have seen the 13MP camera for this phone sells for 38 usd, do you guys thing that may solve the problem?

thanks

I have have the same problem as you, you can fix this issue downgraded to version 10.1.A.1.434.
This solve the color problems, but the camera will continue with a poor quality.

I have the same phone as you, and yes is a protype.

If you know any other way to solve this issue tell me.

By

Reactions: pazhope

pazhope

Sep 3, 2013
I have have the same problem as you, you can fix this issue downgraded to version 10.1.A.1.434.
This solve the color problems, but the camera will continue with a poor quality.

By

It works!!!!!! thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

It works!!!!!! thanks!
DSC_0002.jpg

Here is a pic of the camera now, I am glad it works since I really don't wanted to get a prototype unit, I was exited at first but now I am not sure..., I think I will have to sell it in order to get a normal one.

thanks to everyone for the support..

Reactions: xanovfr

motoridersd

Jul 21, 2008
San Diego
Google Pixel Watch 2

By

Looks like 4.2.2 broke the camera, so it's probably something to do with the drivers used in 4.2.2 and since these are prototype units, the new drivers don't work well with whatever camera hardware is in there. Have you tried CM 10.1?

xanovfr

Apr 3, 2012
Looks like 4.2.2 broke the camera, so it's probably something to do with the drivers used in 4.2.2 and since these are prototype units, the new drivers don't work well with whatever camera hardware is in there. Have you tried CM 10.1?

Not yet, i dont have root on my ZL. only unlocked bootloader.
If anybody can tell us what file contains the parameters of the camera I think is possible change the values of the color balance of the camera. And that solve our problem.

Thanks

martin132014

Jan 14, 2011
How come they sell prototype phone on the market...did they make production for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

twostroker

Jun 15, 2010
LG V50 ThinQ
Got a prototype SP today, .337 firmware with a 0044 imei , just managed to root and flash trinity Rom after researching round here, prob will make it my daily
Sent from my rooted HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

mackien95

Dec 3, 2013
From reading your post I found my self with a prototype too, the IMEI : 004402450555853, I have some serious bugs, the proximity sensor doen't work unless I press hard on it,the screen always turns black whenever I make a call, and when record a video, there is always a noise in the audio like a distortion, and I don't know how to claim warrenty since I bought this phone from a friend.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Interesting! It does start with an 0044

Then it is a prototype
    All Sony (Ericsson) Prototypes starts with 0044.......
    You can not fix the camera problem ... the colors yes but you will still notice that the pictures seem to be like "only 16 colors" pictures at low light
    Also you are not able to update the phone officially over SEUS
    2013-09-02-2.png

2013-09-02.png

thanks

By

By

It works!!!!!! thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

It works!!!!!! thanks!
    DSC_0002.jpg

Here is a pic of the camera now, I am glad it works since I really don't wanted to get a prototype unit, I was exited at first but now I am not sure..., I think I will have to sell it in order to get a normal one.

thanks to everyone for the support..
    Test
    Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Test received
    From reading your post I found my self with a prototype too, the IMEI : 004402450555853, I have some serious bugs, the proximity sensor doen't work unless I press hard on it,the screen always turns black whenever I make a call, and when record a video, there is always a noise in the audio like a distortion, and I don't know how to claim warrenty since I bought this phone from a friend.

When I called Sony they told me to ship it in, but I didn't send it. They could potentially keep it. The Sony store will not replace it without proof of purchase. I had bought a white C6506 from Amazon but I didn't try to use that proof of purchase to get the prototype replaced. I ended up selling it on Cragislist.