My N10 Keeps freezing and resetting

Search This thread

cbrehob

Jan 9, 2012
Well, if everyone is having this issue then I'll just wait for an OTA to fix it. Good to know its more than likely software and not hardware.

This device simply rocks.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

rockon83

Nov 22, 2010
Same issues here! Just posted this in the general forum before seeing this.... Will uninstall HD widgets and see how it goes.

Techie2012

Feb 1, 2012
I continue to have freezes and reebots, looking forward to an OTA

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

dankerton

Nov 17, 2012
In advanced wifi options I unchecked wifi optimization and for 1 day have had no crashes. Will update if it happens...

EDIT: nevermind, that didn't work. Crashed again while typing into Dolphin browser.

Last edited:

incrjaysen

Sep 5, 2011
Hannover
Same here. Since I got it last week it froze + rebooted 6 times. Last time while reading a simple wall of text in chrome. This browser seem to be quite unstable. On my sgs3 it keeps crashing too

Send with nexus 10 via tapatalk 2

Eddog4DROID

Dec 2, 2010
Mostly freezes for me. Daily. Usually wait it out and fixes on its own. Only one reboot.

No HD widgets. I think mostly in chrome.

Jp1138

Oct 11, 2010
Seville
I´ve had random reboots when no using the machine: just saw the nexus logo booting with the N10 on the table or hear the new mail sound when it boots. I have HD Widgets installed. Not worried, just waiting for an OTA or apps updates, as I had the same troubles at first with my Galaxy Nexus.

johno86

Jun 1, 2010
Tutszania
I'm also having random reboots. What's worrisome is that whenever it decides to restart on it's own, whether or not I'm using it, the battery drain is noticeable.
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5636/screenshot2012111902360.png
You can see where it randomly restarts. (where the battery graph breaks[gap])

Does anyone have the slightest clue what could induce a restart?

Note*
My device was idle each time it rebooted on it's own.
I do not have HD Widgets installed.

Last edited:

quasi13

Aug 5, 2010
Minneapolis
Aside from 2 crash + reboots, I had a strange issue with Netflix last night: It locked and muted itself. When I unlocked it, my movie was on pause. I could not get it unmuted. The Netflix app allowed me to adjust the volume slider, but it had no effect. After killing the app, I saw that the normal Android volume indicator would not move no matter what I did. Had to reboot to resolve.

I'll tolerate this sort of thing for a few weeks, but after that it's time to return it if nothing has changed.

BobMiles

Nov 1, 2011
I have the same problem. Chrome is usually f*Ing the device up, so I use boat browser which runs great.
However, I have random reboots and freezes like twice or more a day. I do also suspect the wifi, as my Galaxy Nexus had a similar problem, where the advanced setting (switch to 3G if bad wifi) rebooted the Phone.
I'll try to switch off that optimisation option and keep my fingers crossed/wait for Google to react...

Edit: Also using HD Widgets

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 10 mit Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Asaken

Dec 11, 2011
I've noticed that since I reduce my WiFi signal drop problems, my tablet doesn't get so many freeze problems. Could be anyhow related to the WiFi MIMO technology in the nexus?

xXFallenXx

Nov 13, 2012
I´ve had random reboots when no using the machine: just saw the nexus logo booting with the N10 on the table or hear the new mail sound when it boots. I have HD Widgets installed. Not worried, just waiting for an OTA or apps updates, as I had the same troubles at first with my Galaxy Nexus.

This is precisely what is happening to me. It reboots when I'm not using it. Sometimes I don't even notice, except that it's at the lock screen when it should be "daydreaming".

Hasn't happened to my galaxy nexus which has stock 4.2 on it. They've both got roughly the same apps. Hmm. Makes me think it's hardware related.

BobMiles

Nov 1, 2011
Had no reboots since yesterday evening after switching off the optimise battery consumption on wifi (sorry, don't know what it's called like in English).

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 10 mit Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Jp1138

Jp1138

Oct 11, 2010
Seville
Hasn't happened to my galaxy nexus which has stock 4.2 on it. They've both got roughly the same apps. Hmm. Makes me think it's hardware related.

I meant it happened on my Galaxy Nexus the week I bought it - around december last year. The phone was pretty unstable with the stock ICS. In a few days I suppose most apps began to update and things got back to normal. I hope the same will happen with the N10.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We tell our customers who are rooted and testing to use Catlog (found here in the Google Play Store):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat

It works well, has filtering, and can periodically write logs to a file so you don't miss something. If you don't know when your device is going to have an "issue" that you want to log, it is probably best to be conservative and have Catlog save more often.

To make sure you catch every crash, we tell our customers to use Bootlog Uptime (found here in the Google Play Store):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.mumu21.bootlog

It will alert you with a Notification each and every time the device is restarted without you telling it to. It is an invaluable tool to use alongside Catlog to figure out when and how often a device is rebooting.
    Update from "Paul from Google" on the Google thread:

Thanks again to everyone for continuing to post your experiences and share information with the community. We're continuing to investigate this issue, and we'd like to collect some additional bug reports from some of you still experiencing this.

To submit a bug report please follow this checklist:

•You have a Nexus 10 running Android 4.2.2.
    •You have not modified the software on your tablet by installing a custom ROM or manually flashing/upgrading to Android 4.2.2.
    •There's no need to have your device in safe mode.
    •IMPORTANT: Your bug report must be captured immediately after your device reboots. Any delay, even a few moments, may mean the reboot data could be missed by the bug report. I recommend setting up your device for capturing a bug report well in advance of a reboot -- instructions are in the link below.

For further info and instructions on submitting a bug report (including the set-up instructions) please see this page:

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/request.py?contact_type=bugreport&src=7638530

Note that this page should only be used to submit reports about Nexus 10 spontaneous reboots running Android 4.2.2. Please also note that we will not be responding to individual reports, but will post updates in this forum thread.
    We cannot explain definitively why some people and devices show the soft-reboot issue and some don't, but we do have some theories:

• Heavy usage of Location Services and the apps that depend on this causes the issue to happen more readily
    • Poor or no GPS signal strength causes the issue to happen more often
    • Poor or flaky WiFi connectivity causes the issue to happen faster
    • Frequent use of Chrome makes the issue more likely to happen
    • Not having reboot/crash tracking logging means you won't catch every reboot

The last item on the list is why we load Catlog (for root only on JB devices) and Bootlog Uptime (no root required) on every device we test with immediately after getting it:

Catlog -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat
    Bootlog Uptime -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.mumu21.bootlog

Between these two apps, neither of which we make, we can find out fairly quickly if a device is stable, crashing or behaving in a bad way. Without these apps, however, it is just a guessing game, since no one can watch a device 24/7 or when the screen is off.

As a matter of personal opinion, and from more than a decade of building, managing and shipping products (hardware and software), I don't believe in luck as an acceptable reason for why one device behaves well while another device responds badly. It almost always comes down to how the device is configured and how the customer is using it that determines stability or not. I am by no means an expert, but when looking into problems I prefer looking at instrumented and logged data versus customer observations as the data tends to be more reliable.

It is great that you haven't experienced the soft-reboot issue on your Nexus 4, but lets not discount the hundreds of customers who have already reported this behavior on their N4's, as well as the N10's, GalNexus's and other devices since upgrading to 4.2.x. And to feedback on another post 'solution' above: we reflashed our Nexus 10 with CM 10.1 and, surprise-surprise, the soft-reboots are still there, at least with Chrome usage, as we would expect while running the same base kernel, same WiFi and GPS radio code, and same core Google libraries.

I apologize in advance if this post comes of as curt or condescending, as that is not my intention. Instead, I'm trying to pass along some of my methodologies and experience from working in the semiconductor and software worlds while asking that we all try to gather data that will help Google fix the issue.
    No need to return the tablet for software issues.... Updates will come quick. That's a Nexus!!!

Not sure if this will help any of you but I'll share my experience.

I never got any reboots on my Nexus 10 but I didn't have Chrome installed so I thought that might be why. One day I installed flash and went through a hand full of browsers to see which supported flash. To my surprise none did so I uninstalled the browsers and settled with AOSP browser and Ocean browser as they were the smoothest.

Soon I experienced my first reboot. I never thought much of it I just thought my luck ran out. I did wonder why AOSP browser didn't work with flash though. I was reading one day and found that the version of flash I had may not work with 4.2.1 so I uninstalled it and installed the one ending in.27. To my surprise AOSP browser started working with flash but so did Ocean. I then started to get mad freezes and reboots.

My Nexus would freeze for a couple seconds then reboot at any time I was using it. I did a couple factory resets and restores and the problem always came back. One day I started over and was selective about what I restored and when I didn't restore nor install flash - no more reboots. I'm now on CM 10.1 with 4.2.2 base and no reboots so far so for me flash was the culprit.

TL;DR - Uninstall flash, clear cache and Dalvik and see if you still have reboots or at least less reboots.