Moto G Totally Unusable

Search This thread

BrinkBT

Apr 5, 2014
Hey guys. Thank you for you time looking over this.

My brother has a Moto G (US GSM version)that he's asked me to repair for him for $50 (that I really need) and I've gone through everything my limited brain can think of.

So, here's the issue(s): When turned on, the phone immediately boots to fastboot and at the bottom has two lines saying "Invalid Boot Image" and
"Fastboot reason: Fall-through from normal boot mode"

I can get the phone into CWM recovery, and that's about it. When attached via USB, the phone doesn't show connected at all. A normal bootup just kicks me to fastboot immediately. Inside CWM, I've tried wiping and all that jazz, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me. I know there are guides and such for restoring the phone back to stock everything..but I can't get the PC to see the phone at all, so I'm not sure if I'm still able to do that or not. I've not been able to find a way.

Hopefully that's enough information. I'm not too sure what else is needed. But I could really use the help here if you guys have any ideas, because I'm totally stumped. Thanks again.

pisherthefisher

Jan 1, 2012
You can either use a USB OTG cable to connect it to a flash drive or micro SD card and flash a CM zip. I'm not sure if your boot loader is corrupted or not, so you might have to reflash that too.

Or you can manually reflash the stock firmware from the bootloader (again assuming your bootloader works. You might be able to sideload through CWM too), but if you're not familiar with adb it might be a pain in the ass.

If you don't have a USB otg cable and want the easiest way out, go to the original development section for the moto g and go to the "Moto tool" thread. Download the GPE firmware and use the tool to flash it (I believe this also flashes the gpe bootloader so if that's your issue that will fix it too), its very simple to use.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BrinkBT

Apr 5, 2014
You can either use a USB OTG cable to connect it to a flash drive or micro SD card and flash a CM zip. I'm not sure if your boot loader is corrupted or not, so you might have to reflash that too.

Or you can manually reflash the stock firmware from the bootloader (again assuming your bootloader works. You might be able to sideload through CWM too), but if you're not familiar with adb it might be a pain in the ass.

If you don't have a USB otg cable and want the easiest way out, go to the original development section for the moto g and go to the "Moto tool" thread. Download the GPE firmware and use the tool to flash it (I believe this also flashes the gpe bootloader so if that's your issue that will fix it too), its very simple to use.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Thanks very much for your help. I'm just wondering if all the steps with the cables and all that will still work when the phone shows no connection at all? When it's hooked up to the PC, it doesn't show connected whatsoever.

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with this stuff.

moparman1969

Sep 2, 2012
rockhampton
Google Pixel 6a
Thanks very much for your help. I'm just wondering if all the steps with the cables and all that will still work when the phone shows no connection at all? When it's hooked up to the PC, it doesn't show connected whatsoever.

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with this stuff.

What computer software are you using of its windows download Motorola drivers

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

gregomal

Aug 12, 2015
Georgetown
Moto G boot up failed

I have a similar problem with my Moto G 2013 LTE international version. My phone boots into fastboot, but then I cannot boot into recovery. It just says boot up failed. My bootloader is unlocked and I am rooted. I have tried to install TWRP but no luck. I have tried it using TWRP manager automatically and by flashing a zip file. I have tried sideloading, but that didn't work either. Please forward any suggestions.