[Q] KF2 "data too large" error when trying to recover

Search This thread

larryf

Aug 24, 2010
I have a 'demo' KF2 that is currently stuck at the white and yellow Kindle Fire logo... I'm trying to use KFFirstAide to restore it to factory, then will try to root/install TWRP/install JB. I have a factory cable (which is how I was able to get it into fastboot) and the ADB drivers appear to be installed correctly.

I am seeing the following error message when doing the restore to factory:

sending 'system' (777953 KB)...
FAILED (remote: data too large)

Any ideas on how to proceed? I get a similar message trying to restore 10.2.3, the system.img is even larger on that version.

Here is the complete output from KFFirstAide:

sending 'boot' (8192 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.059s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.749s]
finished. total time: 2.808s
sending 'recovery' (8192 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.044s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.733s]
finished. total time: 2.792s
sending 'system' (777953 KB)...
FAILED (remote: data too large)
finished. total time: 0.016s
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [116.502s]
formatting 'userdata' partition...
Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
File system type not supported.
OKAY [ 0.016s]
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 30.926s]
formatting 'cache' partition...
Erase successful, but not automatically formatting.
File system type not supported.
OKAY [ 0.010s]
finished. total time: 147.454s
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.000s

* Success!!! The Kindle Fire 2 7" *
*Restored To Software Version 10.2.1 *
Press any key to continue . . .

larryf

Aug 24, 2010
Fixed!

I fought this all day, trying to load/reload with the KFFirstAide utility... After a while I tried to load TWRP on it and was able to boot to TWRP and wipe everything. I was then able to mount the device to Windows, copy a JB ROM to it and attempt to flash it. When the flash failed with an error (something like 'can't find tablet') I then realized I had a 1st gen Kindle, instead of what the ad stated on Ebay. Installed the correct JB and all is well... I guess 'data too large' was trying to tell me something :)

Not a bad deal for $31, but I really wanted 8G.

If I had to do this all over again (and knew it was a 1st gen Demo Kindle), I'd have done it this way:

Install TWRP
Wipe everything (cache, dalvik, system, sdcard)
Mount SDcard with TWRP, format with windows, copy JB and Gapps to SDcard
Install JB and Gapps
enjoy

zoey

Jul 24, 2010
Salt Lake City
Need sparse image

I have a mac and am having trouble mounting the system.img to create a sparse image. Is there anyone who has the sparse system.img file? I've been reading and trying to figure this out for 3 days now and any help would be appreciated.

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
I have a mac and am having trouble mounting the system.img to create a sparse image. Is there anyone who has the sparse system.img file? I've been reading and trying to figure this out for 3 days now and any help would be appreciated.

If you download just the batch file from here and open it as text you will find the urls under option1, i believe

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

--
Sent from my Kindle Fire 2, CM 10.1

larryf

Aug 24, 2010
KF2?

I downloaded that file and it still says its too big to flash:(

Are you sure you have a KF2? I had the same 'data too large' error, my tablet was NOT a KF2 (even though the seller on Ebay said it was).

I looked around a bit on Google, found some ways to tell which is which:

On an original KF, there is a 'gear' in the upper left corner you tap on for settings. On a KF2 or HD, you have to 'pull down' the top bar for settings.
On your Home screen, if the first link is Newsstand, you have a first gen KF. If the first link is shop, you have a 2nd Gen.
KF1 version is 6.x.x, KF2 version is 10.x.x

Although none of the above may help you much now that it's non-operational :)

Larry

zoey

Jul 24, 2010
Salt Lake City
I know its a kinldle fire 2 it was on 10.2.6 before I started messing with it. I have another kf2 that I rooted and installed cm10.1. I've pulled the images from that and pushed them to this one. All the files worked accept the system.img. I was even able to boot back into twrp but every time I push a file to it it reboots back into recovery automatically when it is finished pushing the file and the file is gone. I know it is pushing the file because I can see it in twrp file manager as it's being pushed through. I've messed with a bunch of different devices and have always been able to bring them back when I've screwed up but this one has got me stumped.

larryf

Aug 24, 2010
Try to wipe cache, wipe system, I even had to wipe the sdcard and 'android secure' when I hosed my KF.... Then try to mount USB via TWRP. If windoze wants to format the KF2, I would let it do that also.

You have TWRP installed, you're 90% there... I'm sure someone here can figure this out.

Sent from my Kindle Fire that thinks it's a Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

zoey

Jul 24, 2010
Salt Lake City
Yea I tried but I can't mount, wipe or format anything from twrp adb or fastboot I will keep trying though

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

Hm... What is the exact command you are using?

--

fastboot -i 0x1949 flash system system.img I've flashed boot and recovery but system doesn't want to work for me. I have a backup of the system.IMG from cm10 and the system file from kf2 10.2.3 and one more I downloaded from here also but can't get any to work.

mindmajick

The only one that will work is the "sparse image" downloaded from the batch file.

You SURE you tried that one with the command above?

AND you downloaded the system.img for the kf2 and not another device (kf2 7" hd for example). Have you tried both the 10.2.3 version and the 10.2.1?

Last question- you're sure it's a kf2, not a kf1 or kfhd? What's the model number on the back of the device?

I know you tried adb... What about adb sideload in the twrp menu? It has to be a flashable zip file..

--

Last edited:

larryf

Aug 24, 2010
If you can't wipe via TWRP, I don't think anything else is going to work until you fix that... Can you try mounting the USB via TWRP and trying it on another computer? You won't need to install any drivers or adb stuff on the other computer.

Maybe do a factory wipe, or try installing the latest TWRP. Before doing anything drastic I would have a fast boot cable on hand (I did a factory wipe but can't recall if if cleared TWRP too).

Sent from my KF that thinks its a Nexus 7

larryf

Aug 24, 2010
USB works for me

Usb mount works on TWRP? I was under the impression it didn't work. Hence the suggestion to adb sideload the cm10.1 rom

If he can't do basic functions on TWRP... dunno. Very weird

I'm at a loss

USB mount via TWRP works for me.... I've used it with versions 2.4.1.0 and 2.4.3.0
You can only see the SDcard, I've copied ROMs to it and used TWRP to install.

I agree, if he can't do a wipe something is really messed up. I'd try the latest version of TWRP first, then try a factory wipe (as long as he has a fastboot cable just in case).

mindmajick

USB mount via TWRP works for me.... I've used it with versions 2.4.1.0 and 2.4.3.0
You can only see the SDcard, I've copied ROMs to it and used TWRP to install.

I agree, if he can't do a wipe something is really messed up. I'd try the latest version of TWRP first, then try a factory wipe (as long as he has a fastboot cable just in case).

Ok. Where do i get the updated versions!?!?!!

Wtf?! You have twrp no one else has?

We ONLY HAVE 2.3.3.0 HERE:
http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/

Do you even have this device? You people are really getting me confused..

According to your post you have a kf1. Not helpful. Since the devices are different it's better not to advise others when you don't know.

--

Last edited:

zoey

Jul 24, 2010
Salt Lake City
The only one that will work is the "sparse image" downloaded from the batch file.

You SURE you tried that one with the command above?

AND you downloaded the system.img for the kf2 and not another device (kf2 7" hd for example). Have you tried both the 10.2.3 version and the 10.2.1?

Last question- you're sure it's a kf2, not a kf1 or kfhd? What's the model number on the back of the device?

I know you tried adb... What about adb sideload in the twrp menu? It has to be a flashable zip file..

--

So I've downloaded both the 10.2.1 and the 10.2.3 images from that link and they arent working. I don't believe either one is a "sparse image" they seem to be the same size as the other system.img files floating around xda for the kf2. I have a mac and i was thinking that might be part of my problem but that wouldn't explain why twrp isn't working. I have the latest twrp installed (2.3.3.0) and I have updated adb also. Usb mount says its working on twrp but my computer can't see it. And also adb sideload says "error closed".

Last edited:

mindmajick

The v10.2.1 and 10.2.3 are sparse images and should flash fine.

Honestly though, I haven't a clue. The only other thing I can suggest is to install Linux or windows on your Mac.

When you say you can't do anything in twrp.. What happens?

At this point I'm just fishing for information, but other than trying a different OS... I haven't any idea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

zoey

Jul 24, 2010
Salt Lake City
The v10.2.1 and 10.2.3 are sparse images and should flash fine.

Honestly though, I haven't a clue. The only other thing I can suggest is to install Linux or windows on your Mac.

When you say you can't do anything in twrp.. What happens?

At this point I'm just fishing for information, but other than trying a different OS... I haven't any idea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Well i think i killed it somehow. I tried pushing backup files from my other kindle to this one and it just shut off in the middle of it and now it wont turn back on:( no fastboot or nothing. and it had a full charge. Sucks, I really wanted to figure this out.

When i tried to do anything in twrp it could never mount data or system or anything so everything failed.