A way to cure 'Memory Leak'

Search This thread

LowDef

Nov 28, 2008
I'd been experiencing memory leak problem for months. Atleast 1-3 soft-resets were a must within each day. I'd tried out many way to resolve and now I think I've found a way to get over it.

But first, the memory leak in my sense is the decreasing of program's free RAM after each soft reset. Even you are not touching your ppc, your free RAM still going down and hang up at the end.

In my case I primaryly noticed the service.exe size was becoming bigger and bigger from 200KB to 16+MB within few hours (possibly). The problem caused by windows live service. I still do not know any technical reasons behind but after I deleted some Windows Live registry keys, the problem has gone. Now is after my 2 days test, the services.exe has never gone beyond 1.6 MB. System is now very stable no reset required for days.

This might help some system having same problem, so I come here and share this. BUT USE IT AS YOUR OWN RISK.

Go into registry,
HKLM\Services\Windows Live

Delete the keys inside EXCEPT following,

Platform
Plugins
Sync
Version

Also, delete keys inside 'Plugins' EXCEPT following,

Contracts
Messaging

GOOD LUCK !

elyl

May 12, 2005
Glasgow
I don't think many other people are experiencing memory leaks like you, perhaps you should look at your ROM version and what software you have on your device.

egzthunder1

Admin Emeritus - Spirit of XDA
I'd been experiencing memory leak problem for months. Atleast 1-3 soft-resets were a must within each day. I'd tried out many way to resolve and now I think I've found a way to get over it.

But first, the memory leak in my sense is the decreasing of program's free RAM after each soft reset. Even you are not touching your ppc, your free RAM still going down and hang up at the end.

In my case I primaryly noticed the service.exe size was becoming bigger and bigger from 200KB to 16+MB within few hours (possibly). The problem caused by windows live service. I still do not know any technical reasons behind but after I deleted some Windows Live registry keys, the problem has gone. Now is after my 2 days test, the services.exe has never gone beyond 1.6 MB. System is now very stable no reset required for days.

This might help some system having same problem, so I come here and share this. BUT USE IT AS YOUR OWN RISK.

Go into registry,
HKLM\Services\Windows Live

Delete the keys inside EXCEPT following,

Platform
Plugins
Sync
Version

Also, delete keys inside 'Plugins' EXCEPT following,

Contracts
Messaging

GOOD LUCK !

16MB+ for your services.exe?!?!? Jeez...
Which build are you using and on which device? I have refrained from cooking WL applications in my Vogue and if what you are saying is true, then I might just start cooking it in (or not at all, depending on your answer :D)

LowDef

Nov 28, 2008
16MB+ for your services.exe?!?!? Jeez...
Which build are you using and on which device? I have refrained from cooking WL applications in my Vogue and if what you are saying is true, then I might just start cooking it in (or not at all, depending on your answer :D)

A way to completely restore the Windows Live registry tree is uninstall and then re-install WLM cab file.

I used WLM versions Windows Live 10.6.0034.0800 (Fixed).cab and WindowsLive_0409.PPC2005_arm.cab. Both versions generated memory leak on my Mitac mio A-702.

There's no new ROM available from the manufacturer nor any cooked ROM available so far.

And most important is I'm just a cute end-user lol.

Anyway hope this post might help somebody.

Sean D.

Nov 5, 2007
Hayward
I wish I could find a way to get Pocket CM Contacts v.29 to run without memory leak. It's unusable for me. My Kaiser will be running at 55%, I get a few text messages with PCM running, and suddenly it climbs up to 80% till I close it out completely.

Damn shame.