[DISCUSSION] next OEM OS?

Search This thread

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
Sorry i got if i got the Title wrong but pretty much what im trying to get at is what is everyone's opinion on what the next OS from a Phone OEM? (HTC LG Samsung) it could have been that Samsung was jealous of Motorola's spotlight when google bought Moto back in (2012 was it? seems like a long time ago) and Samsung decided to make android less "Android" with the Galaxy notePRO 12.1 Launcher. Samsung also made the the new Samsung Gear 2 / neo (note that they dropped the galaxy name) With their own Ti zen OS instead of android like the previous model (there are reports of that new Tizen phone coming out aswell, it could be that they are just trying to try something new). what i'm trying to get at is does anyone else think HTC or LG or Motorola or Lenovo or whoever produces android phones/tablets make Slap android in the face with their own OS? i think this "Could" be the beginning of androids downfall :(

please Bark at me i want to see everyone's opinion!

Last edited:

Phenom2122

Mar 10, 2014
Cape Town
To me it looks like Android is the first mobile OS to be so widely used by so many different manufacturers. And the OEM operating systems are the ones that usually fade. So to me, anything is possible. Nokia had Symbian, only one or two phones for other brands were ever made. Each had their own locked in operating system.. Windows mobile was always around but never got anywhere without Nokia and that is probably where it will stay..

Basically, things are different now. I have a feeling this new Samsung OS will be lower end? The only way Android would lose its place I think, is if another OEM independent OS came to challenge it.

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
To me it looks like Android is the first mobile OS to be so widely used by so many different manufacturers. And the OEM operating systems are the ones that usually fade. So to me, anything is possible. Nokia had Symbian, only one or two phones for other brands were ever made. Each had their own locked in operating system.. Windows mobile was always around but never got anywhere without Nokia and that is probably where it will stay..

Basically, things are different now. I have a feeling this new Samsung OS will be lower end? The only way Android would lose its place I think, is if another OEM independent OS came to challenge it.

interesting thought, its obvious that it will take lots of effort to make android lose its place but i was only wanting to see other peoples thought on it, i agree with Tizen OS being low end, its supposed to be able to run android apps like Jolla and the newest blackberry tablet, for now all tizen looks like is a run down version of Touchwiz UX. hopefully nothing special, if its open source? hell yeah im going to get one. i am really interested how XDA is going to take on it.

Phenom2122

Mar 10, 2014
Cape Town
I highly doubt it would be open source! To most of these companies that are truly focussed on money making that sort of thing is an abomination. Nokia planned to make Symbian open source, unfortunately there werea couple of other companies who had been involved in it's creation who blocked this at the last minute. I have a feeling Samsung might have been one of those companies but I might be wrong.. (I really miss Symbian by the way, nothing could multitask and do hard work like it, not even my S4 mini. And it ran on such low end specs! If it could have been used with today's hardware they would have had dynamite. I believe Nokia were trying to give a gift to their community before their demise and they were halted by greed, now Symbian is gone anyway)

All that said, I really don't think it will be open source, I believe it's true purpose is the opposite of that. Phone manufacturers don't seem to like their buyers actually truly owning their devices for some reason. I would love to try all these things out but Nokia was all I could ever afford, my S4 mini was a gift.

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
I highly doubt it would be open source! To most of these companies that are truly focussed on money making that sort of thing is an abomination. Nokia planned to make Symbian open source, unfortunately there werea couple of other companies who had been involved in it's creation who blocked this at the last minute. I have a feeling Samsung might have been one of those companies but I might be wrong.. (I really miss Symbian by the way, nothing could multitask and do hard work like it, not even my S4 mini. And it ran on such low end specs! If it could have been used with today's hardware they would have had dynamite. I believe Nokia were trying to give a gift to their community before their demise and they were halted by greed, now Symbian is gone anyway)

All that said, I really don't think it will be open source, I believe it's true purpose is the opposite of that. Phone manufacturers don't seem to like their buyers actually truly owning their devices for some reason. I would love to try all these things out but Nokia was all I could ever afford, my S4 mini was a gift.

did a little research https://www.tizen.org/ your saying at last moment tizen will also become closed?

Reactions: Phenom2122

Phenom2122

Mar 10, 2014
Cape Town
You are right, I was actually talking without really knowing. I had the impression it was a Samsung made OS but I see on the website it is by the 'Linux Foundation', interesting.

My cynical nature thinks they will go closed source upon release, once they have had all the help in the world from the community. But I do not know. If it comes to more devices then just Samsung, maybe there is hope.

Maybe it depends on who ends up with licensing.

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
You are right, I was actually talking without really knowing. I had the impression it was a Samsung made OS but I see on the website it is by the 'Linux Foundation', interesting.

My cynical nature thinks they will go closed source upon release, once they have had all the help in the world from the community. But I do not know. If it comes to more devices then just Samsung, maybe there is hope.

Maybe it depends on who ends up with licensing.

i doubt it would come upon other OEM devices, but so far since its open source and based on Linux, does that mean they are going to try to copy android (samsung can never think up of their own things huh? lots of apple lawsuits.)? if it will stay open source, does that mean we get some kind of control with flashing New OS's? (custom roms) i cant wait for it xD, samsungs old Bada OS was a great start.

Phenom2122

Mar 10, 2014
Cape Town
It would be a pity if it was a knock off of Android or even resembled the Touchwiz UI. Those law suits were stupid because this is how phones have looked and behaved for years and years.

I would like to see a more pure Linux for mobile phones. There are so many Linux desktop environments that would be great on a phone. Enlightenment, Gnome 3 and of course Ubuntu's own Unity (at least they have the right idea). And there is no reason it shouldn't be able to run the same programs as on desktop Linux, many phones out power older Linux compatible PCs these days.

If Tizen was pure Linux with a completely fresh UI for a phone that has not been done before and completely open to the user, I would make every plan possible to get hold of one. It sounds so much like a dream that I think we will just be disappointed.

We need more open devices around first before we can have more open OSs and choices, as far as I see it.

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
It would be a pity if it was a knock off of Android or even resembled the Touchwiz UI. Those law suits were stupid because this is how phones have looked and behaved for years and years.

I would like to see a more pure Linux for mobile phones. There are so many Linux desktop environments that would be great on a phone. Enlightenment, Gnome 3 and of course Ubuntu's own Unity (at least they have the right idea). And there is no reason it shouldn't be able to run the same programs as on desktop Linux, many phones out power older Linux compatible PCs these days.

If Tizen was pure Linux with a completely fresh UI for a phone that has not been done before and completely open to the user, I would make every plan possible to get hold of one. It sounds so much like a dream that I think we will just be disappointed.

We need more open devices around first before we can have more open OSs and choices, as far as I see it.

Right? im surprised a developer has not started a kick-starter to help with making a Open source Phone with most likely pure linux running atop. Bada OS (samsungs old OS, pretty much what tizen is now) has lots of common areas with touchwiz UI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bada probably around the Galaxy s2 look though. and they changed from touchwiz on tizen because intel is working with them. cant wait to see how Jolla sailfish and nemo mobile will do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

did a little research https://www.tizen.org/ your saying at last moment tizen will also become closed?