Verizon OTA Update Fail.

Search This thread

THA-REAPER

Aug 13, 2014
For the past week I've been trying to install the NE9 update. When trying it reboots the phone and starts installing. Half way through installation the android falls on its back and fails. Then when it boots back up again it tells me that the update wasn't applied due to failure.

Prior to the update before trying I've been rooted with towelroot if thats worth mentioning.

I also tired Verizon Software Upgrade Assistant on the PC and the software tells me its up to date, not acknowledging that there is a newer firmware available.

Is there another way to "update" without flashing. I'm not really up to reinstalling and reconfiguring everything. Although I have Titanium Backup Pro.

Also if no solutions how do I get rid of this screen which pops up everyday?

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
You already know the answer and are trying to avoid it. Odin is the most reliable way to apply an update. OTA updates fail for numerous reasons and we couldn't begin to guess why in your case because you provided almost zero information about your phone e.g.what was the exact, verbatim error or failure message you received, have you frozen any apps, syslog, current firmware version or anything else.

We don't have your phone in front of us, so when you don't describe those crucial details, the best we could possibly do is make stabs in the dark as to what is going on.

If you do a proper backup, restoring your programs afterward shouldn't be that hard. You could probably just restore your backed up /data partition over the updated system and have most of your apps and settings restored in one swoop. Alternately, you might be able to apply the new firmware image with mobile odin pro, while leaving your existing /data partition intact.

Or disable the OTA update manager to avoid the update. Verizon likes to rename or at least append vzw to system apps, so search the Verizon forum for the name of the Verizon OTA update manager app.

THA-REAPER

Aug 13, 2014
You already know the answer and are trying to avoid it. Odin is the most reliable way to apply an update. OTA updates fail for numerous reasons and we couldn't begin to guess why in your case because you provided almost zero information about your phone e.g.what was the exact, verbatim error or failure message you received, have you frozen any apps, syslog, current firmware version or anything else.

We don't have your phone in front of us, so when you don't describe those crucial details, the best we could possibly do is make stabs in the dark as to what is going on.

If you do a proper backup, restoring your programs afterward shouldn't be that hard. You could probably just restore your backed up /data partition over the updated system and have most of your apps and settings restored in one swoop. Alternately, you might be able to apply the new firmware image with mobile odin pro, while leaving your existing /data partition intact.

Or disable the OTA update manager to avoid the update. Verizon likes to rename or at least append vzw to system apps, so search the Verizon forum for the name of the Verizon OTA update manager app.

I got through it. Thanks for replying. The Verizon Software Upgrade Assistant started working. I was getting ready to go into odin after I plugged in my USB cable then I noticed to the bottom right something said downloading update. The software did everything. After I swapped kernels rooted and swapped the kernal back with odin. Sorry my mind is a bit foggy I've recently came back to Android. Last time I was around was way back with the Motorola Cliq and the HTC Sensation. I really wasn't up for flashing because I had the phone for about 2 weeks and if I hit a snag then it will require a bunch of research /rant.

All is well solved.