[Q] Phone Randomly Reboots Itself?!

Search This thread

Infused4life

Dec 15, 2013
So after doing a wipe to my phone (was becoming slow) my phone randomly restarts itself for no reason as if it just crashes. I am running the latest version of the beanstalk rom. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2091900 I don't have the greatest understanding of flashing, roms, blah blah blah, but managed to get kit kat working for the last year or so, I don't understand why this is happening now, did I choose a bad rom or something? Everything else on the phone works but obviously constant restarts get to be very annoying.

Any help would be appreciated,
thank you!

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
So after doing a wipe to my phone (was becoming slow) my phone randomly restarts itself for no reason as if it just crashes. I am running the latest version of the beanstalk rom. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2091900 I don't have the greatest understanding of flashing, roms, blah blah blah, but managed to get kit kat working for the last year or so, I don't understand why this is happening now, did I choose a bad rom or something? Everything else on the phone works but obviously constant restarts get to be very annoying.

thank you!

Try leaving it turned on in recovery mode (CWM). If it still reboots, then you have a hardware issue. If it stays stable, I would blame the ROM and try a different version or a different distro.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide

Reactions: Infused4life

Infused4life

Dec 15, 2013
Try leaving it turned on in recovery mode (CWM). If it still reboots, then you have a hardware issue. If it stays stable, I would blame the ROM and try a different version or a different distro.

Thanks for the reply,

I don't think it is a hardware issue as it never did this when I had Jelly Bean or even the last time I had Kit Kat, never know though! Also, I will try to leave it in recovery and see if it does it but a few questions:
-What is "distro" (does it has to do with the OS of the phone?)
-Is there some ROM you could recommend to me for this phone that is stable.. When I install the beanstalk ROM there are like 10 to choose from, I'm guessing they are all older/newer versions!?
-Finally something I was wondering for the longest time but wasn't sure of is can I go back to say, Jelly Bean? Or is it "irreversible"?

Thanks again, glad there's people out there who can help the noobs like me!

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Thanks for the reply,

I don't think it is a hardware issue as it never did this when I had Jelly Bean or even the last time I had Kit Kat, never know though! Also, I will try to leave it in recovery and see if it does it but a few questions:
-Is there some ROM you could recommend to me for this phone that is stable.. When I install the beanstalk ROM there are like 10 to choose from, I'm guessing they are all older/newer versions!?
-Finally something I was wondering for the longest time but wasn't sure of is can I go back to say, Jelly Bean? Or is it "irreversible"?

Methinks it is the specific ROM. I call the different types of OM out there distributions (or "distros" - in light of what is commonly used in the Linux world), but there may be a better term. It could be the version of Beanstalk you are using, it could be any version of BeanStalk with your phone. Hard to say.

In light of above, I would try CarbonROM. I tried it out briefly, and haven;t had a problem with it (and have heard no issues form the guy I sold the phone to with it installed).

But if you want to go back to JellyBean, there is still a version of 4.2 kicking around (CM 10.1) in the development threads. You can downgrade, at worst you may have to ODIN back to stock. But try to flash in CWM first. I was quite satisfied with that version. My biggest gripe is that the mobile data quick setting didn't work fully (but the long way around did). There is CM 10.2 as well, but I could never get that one installed on my phone (installer would break). Between the two, I would try 10.1 (and if you cannot find a copy, I can dropbox it to you).

Reactions: Infused4life

Infused4life

Dec 15, 2013

Methinks it is the specific ROM. I call the different types of OM out there distributions (or "distros" - in light of what is commonly used in the Linux world), but there may be a better term. It could be the version of Beanstalk you are using, it could be any version of BeanStalk with your phone. Hard to say.

In light of above, I would try CarbonROM. I tried it out briefly, and haven;t had a problem with it (and have heard no issues form the guy I sold the phone to with it installed).

But if you want to go back to JellyBean, there is still a version of 4.2 kicking around (CM 10.1) in the development threads. You can downgrade, at worst you may have to ODIN back to stock. But try to flash in CWM first. I was quite satisfied with that version. My biggest gripe is that the mobile data quick setting didn't work fully (but the long way around did). There is CM 10.2 as well, but I could never get that one installed on my phone (installer would break). Between the two, I would try 10.1 (and if you cannot find a copy, I can dropbox it to you).

YES!

So, after I left the phone in CWM for 25 minutes or so and it being fine I decided to get Carbon as I seen in your "signature" that you had that ROM on your Infuse, it has been good for 2 hours+, looking good! I guess it was the Beanstalk ROM after all.

Thanks for the downgrading information as well, wasn't sure if you could downgrade or what would happen!

Finally, what is flashing? (I could google it but since your here, could you give me a noob friendly definition!?)

Thanks for all your help

Last edited:

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
YES!

So, after I left the phone in CWM for 25 minutes or so and it being fine I decided to get Carbon as I seen in your "signature" that you had that ROM on your Infuse, it has been good for 2 hours+, looking good! I guess it was the Beanstalk ROM after all.

Thanks for the downgrading information as well, wasn't sure if you could downgrade or what would happen!

Finally, what is flashing? (I could google it but since your here, could you give me a noob friendly definition!?)

Thanks for all your help

Went to reply about the camera issue and notice it was no longer in the post. Glad you got it sorted.

So flashing, as I understand it, is just another term for installing something via recovery. Not sure of the origin, maybe have something to do with installing to flash memory.

Infused4life

Dec 15, 2013
Went to reply about the camera issue and notice it was no longer in the post. Glad you got it sorted.

So flashing, as I understand it, is just another term for installing something via recovery. Not sure of the origin, maybe have something to do with installing to flash memory.

Ah ok, so it's essentially as I thought it was. I thought I was doing something wrong in terms of "flashing" but guess not! Sounds like it should just be called "Installing custom ROM".. !

Yeah, in terms of the camera thing, I'm an idiot and had USB storage turned on *facepalm*, So it wouldn't let me open the camera app!

mervinj

Oct 2, 2013
Ah ok, so it's essentially as I thought it was. I thought I was doing something wrong in terms of "flashing" but guess not! Sounds like it should just be called "Installing custom ROM".. !

Yeah, in terms of the camera thing, I'm an idiot and had USB storage turned on *facepalm*, So it wouldn't let me open the camera app!

I am not sure if you are still facing the same issue but if you are facing reboots, then considering doing a fresh install after cleaning your internal storage as well since the remnants of the apps from previous installs have caused me problems. Ever since I started doing a fresh install (Factory reset, wiping the cache, wiping the dalvik cache and even the cache partition along with the wiping of the internal storage), there have been no reboot issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

thank you!

Thanks for the reply,