[17.12.2011][CF-Root v5.1] ICL53F - su+bb

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
This rooted kernel is for the "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root takes the kernel from an original firmware, and just adds root and busybox.

THIS IS NOT A ROM - it is only a modified kernel. You need to have the relevant firmware already on your device. You do NOT need to wipe anything for this patch. You DO need to read the instructions. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE FIRST FEW POSTS!

Donate
There have now been nearly 1.000.000 downloads of CF-Root for various devices (see for example Galaxy S1, Galaxy Tab 7", and Galaxy S2), and many more if you include ROMs, kernels, etc that use it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user had donated me $1... :)

Main features
- The kernel is fully stock and taken from the original firmware, with just the following added:
- Superuser v3
- Busybox v1.19
- Custom boot / init scripts
- Insecure

Installation instructions
Please see the next post !

Recovery
Unlike CF-Root for various other devices, CF-Root for the Galaxy Nexus does not include any recovery, due to kernel and recovery being separate partitions on the device. This means you don't need to flash a recovery with your kernel.

Custom boot / init scripts
CF-Root will execute the following scripts if present, in the order listed:

- /system/etc/init.d/* (there can be many files here, no extensions! use "#!/system/bin/sh")
- /system/bin/customboot.sh
- /system/xbin/customboot.sh
- /data/local/customboot.sh

Please make sure you chown / chmod the scripts correctly so they can be executed. Pretty much root:root / 755.

Busybox
Busybox by default creates symlinks in /sbin. You can turn this off by executing the following:

adb shell setprop persist.busybox.nosymlink 1

And reboot your device.

Installing busybox over the included version
It is possible to install a custom busybox over CF-Root. However, this is not without risk. CF-Root makes heavy use of scripting, and many CF-Root scripts rely on the internal busybox version. If you do install a seperate busybox version (always use "stericson" installer!), install it to /system/xbin. Installing it to /system/bin will mess things up for sure. Even if you do that part right, it may still break CF-Root, so make sure to make a backup before trying.

How ?
I wrote my own toolchain to ease patching of initramfs, and that is what all this is based on. It is now used to make CF-Root for many devices!

Help! Which file do I use ?

Check Settings -> About phone -> Build number and find the matching download. YAKJU downloads are for GSM, MYSID downloads are for LTE.

Download
These are general-purpose downloads. See the posts following this one for the kernels.

Attachments

• Odin3-v1.85.zip
    198.4 KB · Views: 25,620
  • fastboot.zip
    397.3 KB · Views: 7,547
Last edited:

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Instructions

IMPORTANT: If your device is not yet OEM unlocked, both methods WILL WIPE your data ! If you are already OEM unlocked, this does not happen.

Flashing with ODIN

ODIN: Short
- Flash CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar (from the attached zip) as PDA in ODIN, without repartition. Done.

ODIN: Long
- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Unzip the attached CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.zip
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start ODIN
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold volume-down + power to boot)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure repartition is NOT checked
- Click the START button
- Wait for the phone to reboot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

Flashing with FASTBOOT

Fastboot: Short
- Flash boot.img (inside the tar inside the attached zip) as boot. Done.

Fastboot: Long
- Untar the CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar (found inside the zip)
- Find the boot.img file that you extracted
- Put your phone in fastboot mode (turn off phone, then hold volume-up + volume-down + power to boot)

- If your device is not yet OEM unlocked - NOTE: This wipes your data!
fastboot oem unlock

- (1) Flash the kernel (permanent):
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Press the power button to boot

- or (2) Flash the kernel (temporary, applies root only):
fastboot boot boot.img

Last edited:

kangxi

Jun 10, 2010
Orlando
So this changes/modifies the kernal to add root? What about OTA updates?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

leamoor

Dec 25, 2010
hong kong
@chainfire
if my device is ITL41F and what can i do?
can i flash your other thread ICL53F rom via odin
and then flash cf-root kernel via odin again?

Last edited:

leamoor

Dec 25, 2010
hong kong
Thanks for the quick response,but i'm not get the ITL53F yet
if my version is ICL53F,how can i made oem unlock?

D_Magic

Aug 6, 2010
Chainfire i knew you would come with a cr-root kernel...thanks!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

SkitzoDelic

Oct 20, 2008
Almere
Okay i did this, but my phone is now stuck on the Google Screen with a lock on the bottom that is unlocked.

When i go back to the bootloader and select Recovery Mode.

I get an Android with a "!"

Reboots back to the Google and nothing happens =(

The only way to start my Device is in CMD and using Superboot =S

Help!

Last edited:

Powder79

May 7, 2010
Will this work with buildnumber ITL41F?
If not what should I do to make use of this kernel?

Many THanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This rooted kernel is for the "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root takes the kernel from an original firmware, and just adds root and busybox.

THIS IS NOT A ROM - it is only a modified kernel. You need to have the relevant firmware already on your device. You do NOT need to wipe anything for this patch. You DO need to read the instructions. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE FIRST FEW POSTS!

Donate
    There have now been nearly 1.000.000 downloads of CF-Root for various devices (see for example Galaxy S1, Galaxy Tab 7", and Galaxy S2), and many more if you include ROMs, kernels, etc that use it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user had donated me $1... :)

Main features
    - The kernel is fully stock and taken from the original firmware, with just the following added:
    - Superuser v3
    - Busybox v1.19
    - Custom boot / init scripts
    - Insecure

Installation instructions
    Please see the next post !

Recovery
    Unlike CF-Root for various other devices, CF-Root for the Galaxy Nexus does not include any recovery, due to kernel and recovery being separate partitions on the device. This means you don't need to flash a recovery with your kernel.

Custom boot / init scripts
    CF-Root will execute the following scripts if present, in the order listed:

- /system/etc/init.d/* (there can be many files here, no extensions! use "#!/system/bin/sh")
    - /system/bin/customboot.sh
    - /system/xbin/customboot.sh
    - /data/local/customboot.sh

Please make sure you chown / chmod the scripts correctly so they can be executed. Pretty much root:root / 755.

Busybox
    Busybox by default creates symlinks in /sbin. You can turn this off by executing the following:

adb shell setprop persist.busybox.nosymlink 1

And reboot your device.

Installing busybox over the included version
    It is possible to install a custom busybox over CF-Root. However, this is not without risk. CF-Root makes heavy use of scripting, and many CF-Root scripts rely on the internal busybox version. If you do install a seperate busybox version (always use "stericson" installer!), install it to /system/xbin. Installing it to /system/bin will mess things up for sure. Even if you do that part right, it may still break CF-Root, so make sure to make a backup before trying.

How ?
    I wrote my own toolchain to ease patching of initramfs, and that is what all this is based on. It is now used to make CF-Root for many devices!

Help! Which file do I use ?

Check Settings -> About phone -> Build number and find the matching download. YAKJU downloads are for GSM, MYSID downloads are for LTE.

Download
    These are general-purpose downloads. See the posts following this one for the kernels.
    Instructions

IMPORTANT: If your device is not yet OEM unlocked, both methods WILL WIPE your data ! If you are already OEM unlocked, this does not happen.

Flashing with ODIN

ODIN: Short
    - Flash CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar (from the attached zip) as PDA in ODIN, without repartition. Done.

ODIN: Long
    - Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
    - Start ODIN
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold volume-down + power to boot)
    - Make sure repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the START button
    - Wait for the phone to reboot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

Flashing with FASTBOOT

Fastboot: Short
    - Flash boot.img (inside the tar inside the attached zip) as boot. Done.

Fastboot: Long
    - Untar the CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar (found inside the zip)
    - Find the boot.img file that you extracted
    - Put your phone in fastboot mode (turn off phone, then hold volume-up + volume-down + power to boot)

- If your device is not yet OEM unlocked - NOTE: This wipes your data!
    fastboot oem unlock

- (1) Flash the kernel (permanent):
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    - Press the power button to boot

- or (2) Flash the kernel (temporary, applies root only):
    fastboot boot boot.img
    Downloads

Remember: I only have the GSM version, so the LTE versions are not tested by me !

CF-Root-GGN_YAKJU_ICL53F-v5.1.zip
    CF-Root-GGN_MYSID_ICL53F-v5.1.zip
    -- reserving yet another post --
    I have the LTE SGN and my build number is ICL53F, not MYSID

And thus you should use:

CF-Root-GGN_MYSID_ICL53F-v5.1

and specifically not:

CF-Root-GGN_YAKJU_ICL53F-v5.1