Desire Z on WIND Mobile (which radio version)

Search This thread

skewty

Dec 30, 2011
Vancouver
Has anyone figured out which radio version works best with WIND Mobile in Canada?

My phone seems to randomly lose data connection. To get data back, I turn mobile data off then on again. It happens so frequently, I have it in my Notification window as a toggle.

I have Automatcher v7 to match RIL with radio version. I also have wipe EFS.

Thanks,
Scott

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA

evilcuber

Aug 3, 2010
Toronto
Has anyone figured out which radio version works best with WIND Mobile in Canada?

My phone seems to randomly lose data connection. To get data back, I turn mobile data off then on again. It happens so frequently, I have it in my Notification window as a toggle.

I have Automatcher v7 to match RIL with radio version. I also have wipe EFS.

Thanks,
Scott

You could try to change your APN settings. Also i thought the DZ dosent work on wind because it has differrent frequencies?

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

Last edited:

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Oops! I meant G2 (T-Mobile). I have a G2.

If my APN settings were incorrect, why would my data work most of the time?

As someone who has friends on Wind... I'm thinking it may be your network. Also, you're not supposed to match the rils unless you're using sense. Which ROM are you running?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

skewty

Dec 30, 2011
Vancouver
I am currently running ILWT but experienced the same running CM 7, ICS Audacity and ICS Quattro.

I have flashed the newest TMobile ROM a few times.. It must be the WIND network here.

skewty

Dec 30, 2011
Vancouver
Update

I don't think it is the network. My father's Amaze does not have this problem in the same places.

ILWT has been the most reliable ROM for me so far. I am currently running Andromadus b4 and am considering switching back because of the data drop-out issue. I have tried 5 different radio versions now.

It must be the ROM. Perhaps it encounters some data it can't make sense of and crashes. Perhaps it just needs to restart itself when this happens. A simple mobile data off, mobile data on fixes it almost every time.

I also find the bars reading incorrect. I be driving down the road with my screen on and the charger plugged in, and it will show me full bars. I can pull over and park for a few minutes, bars still full. Then suddenly half bars, no bars. This behavior is from a device that isn't being physically surrounded / shielded and is stationary.

Anyways, my G2 is getting old and it needs a another core to keep up with the way I now use it. I will wait for Jelly Bean but will likely switch to IOS.

Reasons If You Care

The menu button disaster is a big one for me. Also the lack of quick updates from Google for Nexus S and Nexus One. These devices should have had OS updates released on the same day the Galaxy Nexus was released.

ICS should have been backwards compatible for older devices as well. A few #ifdef in the code for fancy screen rendering and such. Big, huge fail!

Google, also, should have required no physical menu button for access to Google apps to enforce the new way. With only like 7% ICS market share no wonder app devs write for GB.

Google's handling of Android updates has opened my eyes.

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
I don't think it is the network. My father's Amaze does not have this problem in the same places.

ILWT has been the most reliable ROM for me so far. I am currently running Andromadus b4 and am considering switching back because of the data drop-out issue. I have tried 5 different radio versions now.

It must be the ROM. Perhaps it encounters some data it can't make sense of and crashes. Perhaps it just needs to restart itself when this happens. A simple mobile data off, mobile data on fixes it almost every time.

I also find the bars reading incorrect. I be driving down the road with my screen on and the charger plugged in, and it will show me full bars. I can pull over and park for a few minutes, bars still full. Then suddenly half bars, no bars. This behavior is from a device that isn't being physically surrounded / shielded and is stationary.

Anyways, my G2 is getting old and it needs a another core to keep up with the way I now use it. I will wait for Jelly Bean but will likely switch to IOS.

Reasons If You Care

The menu button disaster is a big one for me. Also the lack of quick updates from Google for Nexus S and Nexus One. These devices should have had OS updates released on the same day the Galaxy Nexus was released.

ICS should have been backwards compatible for older devices as well. A few #ifdef in the code for fancy screen rendering and such. Big, huge fail!

Google, also, should have required no physical menu button for access to Google apps to enforce the new way. With only like 7% ICS market share no wonder app devs write for GB.

The issue isn't ICS. The issue is the vendors haven't released proper drivers for ICS. What we're dealing with is code we've hacked up to make things work. If the vendors released ICS source code for our devices things would be much more stable.

We're always working within our means. It's not Android/Google's fault and it's not an ICS issue, it's just circumstance.

Reactions: skewty

skewty

Dec 30, 2011
Vancouver
Thanks

I realize where most of the issues lie. I am an EE grad so I can imagine how difficult hacking ROMs together without device drivers might be.

Writing ASM for a microproc with the datasheets is bad enough. Without knowing what each control register is for and what each bit controls, it is a guessing game at best. I get that.

I very much do appreciate your work. As you are aware, from reading my post, I run a ROM you contribute to. Thank you. You have prolonged the life / pleasure balance I require from my smartphone.

I would contribute more to the development, but my post count was less than 10. I was actually working towards my 10 posts today to post in the dev forums. (The Andromadus beta 4 thread to be more precise).

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
I realize where most of the issues lie. I am an EE grad so I can imagine how difficult hacking ROMs together without device drivers might be.

Writing ASM for a microproc with the datasheets is bad enough. Without knowing what each control register is for and what each bit controls, it is a guessing game at best. I get that.

I very much do appreciate your work. As you are aware, from reading my post, I run a ROM you contribute to. Thank you. You have prolonged the life / pleasure balance I require from my smartphone.

I would contribute more to the development, but my post count was less than 10. I was actually working towards my 10 posts today to post in the dev forums. (The Andromadus beta 4 thread to be more precise).

Drop by #g2ics on freenode if you're interested :)

Borteeo

Dec 3, 2009
I have the same issues, G2 on Wind as well. I've had some ROMs where it never occured, but then they had some kind of bug that left me unhappy. I'm currently on CM 7.2 RC1, and I keep a "data" toggle in my notification bar. When it drops I toggle it off and on and it connects again pretty quickly. Until about twelve months ago, MMS was unreliable, but I don't seem to have problems with that anymore.

In general I'm not happy with Android, but as the alternatives are all utterly closed systems I guess I'm stuck with it. It would be unbearable if it weren't for the hard work of all the developers around this forum. Thanks, developers :)

skewty

Dec 30, 2011
Vancouver
Agreed. Google has been a huge let down for me as well. Updates are slow or non existent in Canada (even on Nexus devices). Look at the percentage of devices that run ICS. JB is what ICS was supposed to be. I may get an iPhone for work. I am excited to compare it to my Samsung S3 on CM10.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Reasons If You Care

The issue isn't ICS. The issue is the vendors haven't released proper drivers for ICS. What we're dealing with is code we've hacked up to make things work. If the vendors released ICS source code for our devices things would be much more stable.

We're always working within our means. It's not Android/Google's fault and it's not an ICS issue, it's just circumstance.