S-Off?

Search This thread

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm waiting to pick up the M8, but one thing is driving me crazy. What the bleep is s-off. I understand that in order to flash a GPE rom, i have to disable it after i root. Thanks.:confused:
As another person not familiar with HTC android devices, I understand your confusion. However, before I answer, I'll mention that this thread belongs in the Q&A section - AND that the answer is easily found with google (in this case, a plain google search is better than searching XDA.)

Here's your answer: https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+s-off&oq=what+is+s-off

(From what I've read, S-Off turns off HTC's security mechanism that overwrites any changes you make to protected partitions on each boot.)

Take care
Gary

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
You don't need s-off to flash a gpe rom, you need it to do a full conversion which really gives you no benefits. I would s-off if you can for other features, but converting your phone can give you ota updates, but usually the roms get the update same day or sooner.

Reactions: grunt0300
You don't need s-off to flash a gpe rom, you need it to do a full conversion which really gives you no benefits. I would s-off if you can for other features, but converting your phone can give you ota updates, but usually the roms get the update same day or sooner.

Thanks. I had read that in order to convert the AT&T version to GPE, you needed to be S-OFF. Now i really can't wait to get this phone.:p

Top Liked Posts