[ROM][4.2.2][05/08]Slim Bean - I9100 [Build 8][FINAL]

Search This thread

HardCorePawn

Mar 24, 2009
Auckland
SlimBeanOP2.png

Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any damages on your device.

Original Slim Features:

1. The Real Dark Slim
  2. Notification drawer Shortcuts
  3. Full hardware key rebinding!
  4. Keyboard rotation
  5. SlimCenter

Check out our full feature list here

Important Notes:

• Build 8 is the final 4.2.2 build for Slim Bean
  • NO ETA's...
  • Fully compiled from AOSP source ( source.android.com) with our mods.
  • Read the Change-log and installation instructions from the official website carefully.
  • Feature requests will be ignored in general, but we will review ( if a relevant commit or source is provided) and then decide.
  • Please provide a logcat if reporting a bug.
  • Strictly NO ports based on our ROM zip (official or unofficial build) file, manifest.xml will be updated regularly and feel free to compile from source.
  • No discussions/screenshots etc in the thread about battery life, "best settings/gov/scheduler" for "best battery life" etc... see here for the reasons why...

Changelog
Find our latest Changelog go here

Chat with the slim team and other slim users
  • IRC: #slimusers@freenode
  • New to IRC? Don't have a native app? Try the Freenode web client [link] or the Firefox extension Chatzilla [link]
  • Google+ [link]
  • Twitter [link]
  • Facebook [Link]

Installation instructions
For Most Users
Please keep in mind if a special instruction is needed it will be noted in the Changelog
  • Download the latest build from [here]
  • Addons ( if you don't have it already) from [here]
  • !Recommended! Full wipe, and manual format /system
  • Flash ROM and the addons you want, reboot

FAQ
Check out out FAQ before posting! Keeps more common questions answered in one place!

Help us out!
If you want to help us by translating slim to your language check out Crowdin.net and submite your translations.
Or consider a donation.

Thanks!
You can find the full list of credits here

Source
Please visit here for the rom source code.
Kernel source can be found here

Last edited:

mcpdigital

Aug 13, 2012
Downloading, but still some questions since I never used Slimbeam.
Works fine with latest Siyah or Dorimanx ?
Can be installed on second boot partition ?

Thanks
MCP

nikhilgavit

Apr 2, 2011
Mumbai
Downloading, but still some questions since I never used Slimbeam.
Works fine with latest Siyah or Dorimanx ?
Can be installed on second boot partition ?

Thanks
MCP

Dont use dorimanx or siyah.. com.android.phone force closes on both kernels.. did not grab a logcat since i switched back to mcm cm10.1 build.. probably the kernels need some patches to support this rom..
anyways the rom works great with stock kernel..

Last edited:

nechmadi

Apr 24, 2010
hi,
video camera doesn't work good . in the beginning the record button didn't responded, changed power shutter in the settings to on (what this option does btw?) and then it recorded , but when tried to watch the video the gallery fc'ed and the camera shows gray screen .
i flashed the rom with full wipe and format system and didn't changed the kernel

mcpdigital

Aug 13, 2012
Dont use dorimanx or siyah.. com.android.phone force closes on both kernels.. did not grab a logcat since i switched back to mcm cm10.1 build.. probably the kernels need some patches to support this rom..
anyways the rom works great with stock kernel..

Thanks, exactly what happened, com.android.phone crashes, and as a 2nd note it did not work well when dual-booting with another ROM, it installed the SlimGapps over the 1st ROM too, and forced Kernel changing to CM10 one, I believe.

MCP

superleeds27

Jun 21, 2010
Hull
Any init.d script for gpu voltage?

Edit: surely the patched Siyah from MCM would work?

Last edited:

superleeds27

Jun 21, 2010
Hull
only thing I've noticed so far.

Screen goes off, press home button, screen comes back on and app closes.

We seem to be missing the lockscreem delay

Reactions: ore616

ro4sho

Aug 9, 2010
Too bad, wanted to try out this rom next to my daily rom as dualboot. Waiting for next dorimanx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

großa

Sep 22, 2009
Its working fine so far with the stock kernel.
I used pimp my rom and now it feels a little bit smoother.

Great work!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

dead0

Sep 6, 2011
Any init.d script for gpu voltage?

Edit: surely the patched Siyah from MCM would work?

iv just installed the patched siyah v5 from mcm which looks to be working but init.d scripts not working.

edit: i may have fixed the init.d issue. a few lines were missing from the install script in the rom, i think?

Last edited:

bagadj

Jan 24, 2010
iv just installed the patched siyah v5 from mcm which looks to be working but init.d scripts not working.

edit: i may have fixed the init.d issue. a few lines were missing from the install script in the rom, i think?

Where can i find siyah 5 patched? Could you please add a link?? Thank u!

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

Fulgore.

Mar 25, 2012
Herzeliya
Looks great, flashed and will report in a couple of days.

I would love to see a MMS version which has a fully customizable theme (like on RootBox).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SlimBeanOP2.png

Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any damages on your device.

Original Slim Features:

1. The Real Dark Slim
    2. Notification drawer Shortcuts
    3. Full hardware key rebinding!
    4. Keyboard rotation
    5. SlimCenter

Check out our full feature list here

Important Notes:

• Build 8 is the final 4.2.2 build for Slim Bean
    • NO ETA's...
    • Fully compiled from AOSP source ( source.android.com) with our mods.
    • Read the Change-log and installation instructions from the official website carefully.
    • Feature requests will be ignored in general, but we will review ( if a relevant commit or source is provided) and then decide.
    • Please provide a logcat if reporting a bug.
    • Strictly NO ports based on our ROM zip (official or unofficial build) file, manifest.xml will be updated regularly and feel free to compile from source.
    • No discussions/screenshots etc in the thread about battery life, "best settings/gov/scheduler" for "best battery life" etc... see here for the reasons why...

Changelog
    Find our latest Changelog go here

Chat with the slim team and other slim users
    • IRC: #slimusers@freenode
    • New to IRC? Don't have a native app? Try the Freenode web client [link] or the Firefox extension Chatzilla [link]
    • Google+ [link]
    • Twitter [link]
    • Facebook [Link]

Installation instructions
    For Most Users
    Please keep in mind if a special instruction is needed it will be noted in the Changelog
    • Download the latest build from [here]
    • Addons ( if you don't have it already) from [here]
    • !Recommended! Full wipe, and manual format /system
    • Flash ROM and the addons you want, reboot

FAQ
    Check out out FAQ before posting! Keeps more common questions answered in one place!

Help us out!
    If you want to help us by translating slim to your language check out Crowdin.net and submite your translations.
    Or consider a donation.

Thanks!
    You can find the full list of credits here

Source
    Please visit here for the rom source code.
    Kernel source can be found here
    Known Issues (as of Build 7):

Device Specific:
    • Wifi Direct is not working
    • BT - A2DP does not transmit Artist/Track info (AOSP BT stack issue :()
    • Zoom on camcorder at 1080p is broken
    • Front camcorder buggy
    • USB Dock audio broken

General:
    Just to be clear...

I have tested this extensively... I have other people testing it... This is why we don't do nightlies...

Yes, we are including CM's open source RIL
    NO, we don't have the RIL issues that Rootbox has (because I figured out what was wrong and fixed it) :fingers-crossed:

For the record, initially, I did have a broken RIL... Couldn't send touch tones in a call, couldn't hangup etc...

TLDR; PROTIP: make clobber, tell your friends ;)

Long Version: Turns out that, for whatever reason, the old (Sammy blob) version of libril.so was being cached and injected into the build, despite the fact that it had been removed from vendor/samsung/proprietary/i9100/lib/ :confused:

So, you'd end up with new opensource /system/bin/rild, but old /system/lib/libril.so.

They wouldn't play nicely together and you'd get the messed up phone functionality... :rolleyes:

Old version of libril.so was, from memory, 49,100 bytes, new compiled one was 35,336 bytes...

So I did what I always do when things are not being recompiled properly... I did a "make clobber"... Which completely removes the entire build directory AND wipes the compiler cache...

Et voilà... New libril.so is built and used and everything works as it should... :thumbup: :cool:

Note: The compiler cache is useful, in that it can cut down compile time dramatically... A full build from scratch after make clobber, using 2 threads (have to play nice with rest of team sharing build box :p) will take about an hour... If the cache is available... It'll take less than 30minutes! Very handy if you're doing a lot of compiling...

The only issue, is that sometimes, you get situations like this, where, for whatever reason, the system doesn't detect a change and just bundles the old libraries in... :(

Which brings me to my last point... Why I am (and most of the Slim team are) hesitant to do nightlies... (to be honest, I'm not 100% comfortable with weeklies, but they're a good way to get feedback on new features and real world user testing ;))

Nightlies are, usually, just automatic builds of whatever is in the repo... About the only checking, is that the compile finished without errors...

This is why they are always plastered with warnings that they are highly experimental in nature, possibly broken, use at your own risk, read before you flash, make backups etc...

And yet, people still moan and whinge and complain at the devs and say things like "y u release broken build??!?"...

I personally, and the Slim team as a whole, take quality seriously... Sure we've made mistakes in the past, and released subpar versions.. . And you know what? We were so concerned about it, that we modified our entire dev and release process to try to make sure it never happens again...

This is why we:
    - moved away from the "every 2 weeks" release cycle we used to have.
    - implemented gerrit to allow for proper peer code review and testing
    - implemented a release cycle that involves code freeze, dedicated testing and final release

Will our ROM always be perfect? No... But will we always strive to make it as close to perfect as possible? YES! :D

Sent from my SlimBean pwned GT-I9100
    Now... for some general discussion on a couple of topics...

Firstly... Battery Life...

There shall be no more discussions/screenshots etc about battery life, "best settings/gov/scheduler" for "best battery life" etc...

battery is, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, very much a "personal" thing... your own particular usage patterns, apps, cell network, signal strength, RF interference, WiFi config, battery condition, brightness levels etc etc, will define what you get out of the phone/battery...

I've seen folks who consider "normal" usage, to be having no apps installed, running all black themes/apps and sending 2 text messages a day and making or receiving one phone call of 2 minutes in length... with WiFi disabled and no mobile data. I've also seen folks who consider "normal" to be sending about 100 text messages a day... making 2 hours worth of phone calls... and listening to music via BT headphones, watching video or playing 3D games while updating Facebook every 5 minutes...

There is no magic bullet... there is no magic governor/scheduler combo which is suddenly going to grant you 3 days of constant 3D gaming etc...

If you suddenly get unusually high battery drain for your situation... there is about a 99% chance that you have a rogue app causing wakelocks... install BetterBatteryStats, find out what is causing all the wakelocks and fix it. If you end up in the 1%, have investigated and sought help in the BBS thread and discovered that it is actually something system related (and have BBS reports to prove it!) then go ahead and post here...

Smartphone battery life in general is just poor compared to that old Nokia 3310 that you used to own that lasted for 7 days on a charge... get over it.

Remember, this is, technically, a dev thread... and while I'm happy to have "general discussion" in here, mostly because a 2-thread system doesn't work... posts about battery life, and screen shots of how awesome/poor your setup is, just don't result in anything meaningful... and to be blatantly honest, there isn't anything we can really do about it to make any significant difference. Sure we might be able to get you an extra 15 mins of screen on time by tweaking the CPU and/or GPU voltages by -25mv... and opening you up to freezes, lag and random reboots in the process. :rolleyes:

If you don't like this... feel free to go open a battery thread in the General and/or Q&A forums... any more posts in this thread regarding battery life will be reported and removed (and yes, the OP will be updated to reflect this)...

HALO...

quite a polarising topic this one... some folks think it is the best thing to have happened to Android. Some folks seem to think it was some sort of plague devised by Apple to destroy Android. Others simply don't care, as they realise if it ever gets implemented, it will have an On/Off switch... much like SlimPIE ;)

As it stands, HALO just isn't ready for Slim. There are some fundamental issues with it that need to be resolved before you'll see it on an "Official" Slim build and we're not sure they can or will be resolved. This isn't just performance related either. We're talking things like:

• The install button problem, can't press "Install" on the APK installation screen. (possibly already solved)
    • G+, whatsapp and some parts of youtube (lpe videos) are cut off or gave weird results in a floating window just to mention 3 bigger apps
    • if an app call an activity from a floating window and is waiting for activityResult the callback does not work.... Major issue!!
    • memory leaks need to be solved especially for our old devices. There is some code cleanup needed. Just turn it off for this devices do not resolve it
    This doesn't mean it will never be implemented... just that we feel it is detrimental to the overall quality and stability of the ROM as things currently stand. And of course, as with most things like this... if we ever do roll it out, it'll be a feature that you can turn on/off ;)

On a similar topic... Hybrid mode... probably never going to happen. In our opinion, it just isn't worth the sacrifice that would have to be made to stability and performance to achieve. Consequently, this is not actively being considered, at this point, by the Slim team.

Finally... a small teeny tiny little request... should you choose to respond to this or any of my long posts... please, for the love of little green robots everywhere... DON'T QUOTE THE WHOLE POST... remove all the bits that are not relevant!